Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newboy

Smoothbeam experiences for Active Acne?

Hi all:

I've read with great interest the postings on Smoothbeam, but can't quite figure out from the posts how effective this thing is for active acne. MOst of the people seem to be using it exclusively for acne scarring.

I have very little scarring, but am having a devil of a time getting rid of oily skin and thus have moderate acne that fades in and out. The doctors all say Smoothbeam works great for active acne, and their website makes the same praises, but I've now done 4 treatments and have only really seen minor improvement, if any. Certainly nothing close to the level they claim.

Now, granted, the doctor has done very low doses, at least according to what I've read here. He says he's has great success with a level of 10. My first 2 treatments were at 10, my last 2 at 11, but I'm not sure how much a higher level I can take anyway as the numbing cream doesn't seem to do too much.

Anyway, could people please post their experiences with Smoothbeam as far as active acne is concerned? Has it helped? Made it worse? No difference? Please, only actual experiences. I already know the "medical literature" says it works, but I have my doubts.

SB has a ways to come w/ active acne. I've had 3 treatments on the settings 12,12, and 13 , and I would say active acne has been improved about 33%.

Nlite is better for acne. It would have been more effiecient to research this before now.

Why do you say Nlite is better? In fact, all my research indicates that on paper it should be worse. Do you know some people who have had it and love it? From what little I can gather from this board, there haven't been too many good experiences with it.

Why do you say Nlite is better?  In fact, all my research indicates that on paper it should be worse.  Do you know some people who have had it and love it?  From what little I can gather from this board, there haven't been too many good experiences with it.

From experiences of others on the forum. Everyone claims that nlite does a good job at clearing them up. Different wavelength strengths do different things.

Those settings are probably not high enough to do the job to be honest with you. Each person is different, so depending on your skintype and color, you could be getting less than optimal results with settings that low.

There are certain things we look for in the skin to know that the settings are right for EACH patient. (I own a Medical Spa and we have the V-Beam and Smoothbeam lasers). There should be significant redness on your face that will last maybe a couple of hours.

I just treated a lady recently who had gone to another doctor in another city who treated her on a setting of "10" for 2 treatments. She got around 100 pulses each time and had ZERO results. I treated her at 13.5 joules, with a spray of 35 and did 402 pulses for a full face treatment. She had results by the next day.That number of pulses is about my average for a "typical" sized female face. There is supposed to be a 10% overlap, and you can't be getting a really good treatment if you only get 100 pulses. Just MHO

Is there any harm in going over the recommended number of pulses? What are the FDA guidelines? I was just wondering about the long term effects, if any.

*After two smoothbeam treatments I have really seen no change in my breakout cycle. I have noticed that I seem to be oilier, not sure why that is occuring. :-s

You shouldn't double pulse in treating acne because you risk burning the patient. You should do about a 10% overlap with the laser to get the best results. What settings did you get and how many pulses?