Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fitnessgurl

Fitnessgurls Accutane Log

Hey all, I am going to keep a log of my Accutane journey. I am 28 (as of today) year old female who suffers from acne. When I was young I always had minor acne of my T zone, but when I turned 25 I went off the pill and gained weight and all of a sudden my cheeks were filled with huge cystic acne, I went back on the pill lost the weight, but the acne stayed. I have been on minocycline, Retin A, BP and Differin, all only made it worse. I am finally on accutane as a last resort. Acne puts such a weight on ones self esteem and I am ready to be able to stop hiding my face behind makeup and my hair!!:confused:

Started Accutane March 2

As of today I have 3 new small pimples and one large on my neck, nothing real major. As for side effects, the headaches I experience after I pop a pill is horrendous (sp?) They hurt so bad, my eyes are starting to dry out and burn and my lips are a little drier. :wacko:

Hi,

I'm on Sotret too, though I am only 1/4 your dose (40mg every other day, so 20mg/day). If the side effects get too bad, maybe you can reduce your dose. 80mg/day seems really high to start. I've only noticed flaky skin, and I got noticeably dehydrated after my first couple pills. Today, I didn't feel unusually dehydrated. My dermatologist recommended starting low, working up to a higher dose, then tapering off again at the end. She says this minimizes the side effects and initial breakout. My acne is mild/moderate, so with more severe acne it might be different. Good luck!!!

Hi,

I'm on Sotret too, though I am only 1/4 your dose (40mg every other day, so 20mg/day). If the side effects get too bad, maybe you can reduce your dose. 80mg/day seems really high to start. I've only noticed flaky skin, and I got noticeably dehydrated after my first couple pills. Today, I didn't feel unusually dehydrated. My dermatologist recommended starting low, working up to a higher dose, then tapering off again at the end. She says this minimizes the side effects and initial breakout. My acne is mild/moderate, so with more severe acne it might be different. Good luck!!!

Day 4

So I have small pimples popping up on my nose and neck and I have 4 pimples on my chin, that are under the skin, but are raging to get ou :snooty: figures! IB is Coming already....Ugg, My skin is getting drier and starting to flake and my lips and eyes are getting drier, the headaches have gotten better since I sarted drinking more water, side effects are still mild when I think of the outcome! :dance: CLEAR skin baby!

Hi Fitnessgurl!!

Good luck with accutane! I am finishing my course in 5 days, I was on it for 8 months! But I wanted to recommend Dr. Dan's cortibalm for your lips...aquaphor is good but can be messy. Dr. Dan's is specially formulated for Accutane users. I struggled with my lips the first 2 months until I got Dr. Dan's and since then it has been SO MUCH BETTER!! Click on the link and just print out that page and bring it to your pharmacy and they can order it. It costs pretty much the same as normal lip balm. I suggest getting a bunch of them to hold you over (and just in case you lose one!). I kept them everywhere (my purse, work, bedroom etc.) so I would have one always ready!

http://www.drdanslipbalm.com/images/cortibalm.pdf

hopefully this will help - it helped me SO much!

Kristen

Hi Fitnessgurl!!

Good luck with accutane! I am finishing my course in 5 days, I was on it for 8 months! But I wanted to recommend Dr. Dan's cortibalm for your lips...aquaphor is good but can be messy. Dr. Dan's is specially formulated for Accutane users. I struggled with my lips the first 2 months until I got Dr. Dan's and since then it has been SO MUCH BETTER!! Click on the link and just print out that page and bring it to your pharmacy and they can order it. It costs pretty much the same as normal lip balm. I suggest getting a bunch of them to hold you over (and just in case you lose one!). I kept them everywhere (my purse, work, bedroom etc.) so I would have one always ready!

http://www.drdanslipbalm.com/images/cortibalm.pdf

hopefully this will help - it helped me SO much!

Kristen

Omigosh I thought the day would NEVER come!! But it's in sight! AHHHH!!!

You have to be patient - there were times when I wasn't and it was a struggle...but just know that things will turn out okay in the end. I struggled throughout most of my course...and then it had to be extended 2 months because I was still breaking out...but FINALLY...I am almost done.

So even in the tough times, keep your chin up!!!

I have heard that Dr. Dan's lip balm is nothing short of miraculous! I ordered it online this week (pricey when you add shipping costs. so I ordered 6 tubes!) I also have dry lips normally, so I am hoping it will help! I will let you know how it goes!

I have heard that Dr. Dan's lip balm is nothing short of miraculous! I ordered it online this week (pricey when you add shipping costs. so I ordered 6 tubes!) I also have dry lips normally, so I am hoping it will help! I will let you know how it goes!

Day 7

Okay so I am sick with a cold, so that sucks, beacause I have a runny nose and constantly blowing it is killing my skin. I am starting to really dry out and peel now. My face is getting itchy and red and peeling. I am a nurse and went into surgery the other day and when I came out after a couple hours of wearing the mask, my face was bright red and peeling and itching and it looks aweful now!! I put on moisturizer last night and it burned like hell!! :evil: , but no new pimples, so that is awesome!

Oh boy! You've got the itchies too? Oh man I am not looking forward to that! But based on other people's reactions, they seem to say that it subsides after a week or two - it's cool that you're about a week ahead of me so I can see how I might react, which is cool.

One week down - hopefully in a few months time all this will be a distant memory!

Oh boy! You've got the itchies too? Oh man I am not looking forward to that! But based on other people's reactions, they seem to say that it subsides after a week or two - it's cool that you're about a week ahead of me so I can see how I might react, which is cool.

One week down - hopefully in a few months time all this will be a distant memory!

Day 8

Well things are about the same, my whiteheads are starting to come out on my chin and nose, but no new pimples. My skin is very smooth but dry, tight and itchy :doubt: it is very tender and sore as well, but not to the extreme that I cna't handle it. I'm happy I haven't gotten any major break outs yet! :dance: Maybe I will get lucky and not get an IB (fingers crossed) :pray:

fitnesgurl---The skin on my face has also been really itchy. I bought the Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera Gel. It doesn't have any alcohol, fragrance, or coloring. I have been using it at night and it has really helped to soothe my skin. I can't use it during the day because it gets a little sticky. But, it at least helps at night when I could scratch and not know it.

Oh, and the pharmacist told me that I could buy an aloe vera plant, cut the leaves open, and apply it directly to my face. He said that it is wonderful. But, it can get sticky. Maybe another good thing for night time.

Just remember that even if you do get an IB, it is all the junk coming out at once and you are one step closer to being clear. I am going to try not to get down about any breakouts I do have - for the first time in a long time I have hope that they may be my last! What moisturiser are you using?

I just wanted to stop by and wish you luck!

I will be starting on the same dose but have to wait for the ever stupid iPledge program. Argh!

I want to start ALREADY!!!! :lol:

IBKgirl,

Thanks for the tip! I use a mositurizer with aloe in it, but never thought of using it straight. I will have to try it.

Barb,

I use emu & aloe sensitive moisturizer from Serious skin care, and I alternate with aveeno. How are things going for you?

Gin N Juice,h

Welcome & Congrats! I am so happy at my choice to take accutane, I already feel so much better about my skin and my choice. Feel free to join in and chat with all of us any time..... :dance:

Day 10

My face is on fire!!! :redface::shock::evil: I feel like I have a neverending sunburn and I look like it too!! Can you feel my frustrations here??? My face is hot and red, but smooth...ha ha. I have no new breakouts, just sore torn up lips and the above stated....Ouch :(

fitnessgurl...I feel your pain. I am 11 days in and my face literally hurts! 2 days ago it was completely dry...today it was oily again.

Oh, I tried the straight aloe plant and I felt so good on my skin! It is kind of messy, but it did make it less itchy. Also, I put the aloe leaf in the fridge for a little bit before I put it on. The coolness really helped to soothe my face from the burning sensation!

fitnessgurl...I feel your pain. I am 11 days in and my face literally hurts! 2 days ago it was completely dry...today it was oily again.

Oh, I tried the straight aloe plant and I felt so good on my skin! It is kind of messy, but it did make it less itchy. Also, I put the aloe leaf in the fridge for a little bit before I put it on. The coolness really helped to soothe my face from the burning sensation!

Hey girl!

I bought my aloe plant at Lowe's Home Store in the Garden Department. It was pretty cheap...I think about $3.

My scalp has become so dry! I typically have pretty oily hair, but not anymore. I actually noticed some white flakes today. UGH!!!! I think I may try putting on conditioner and leaving it on overnight with a shower cap on. I can't take the itching much longer! :(

We can do this, we can do this!

Hey girl!

I bought my aloe plant at Lowe's Home Store in the Garden Department. It was pretty cheap...I think about $3.

My scalp has become so dry! I typically have pretty oily hair, but not anymore. I actually noticed some white flakes today. UGH!!!! I think I may try putting on conditioner and leaving it on overnight with a shower cap on. I can't take the itching much longer! :(

We can do this, we can do this!

What is tar shampoo? At this point, I don't care how my hair smells, I just don't want it to be flaky!

I bought some Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo yesterday. My hairdresser said that may help it. I will keep you posted.

My face is doing pretty well. I still have a bunch of red marks, but my skin feels pretty smooth.

My lips are yuck, too! Overall, I feel like people are looking at me and thinking, "What the heck happened to this girl's face!"

Oh, the joys of accutane!

What is tar shampoo? At this point, I don't care how my hair smells, I just don't want it to be flaky!

I bought some Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo yesterday. My hairdresser said that may help it. I will keep you posted.

My face is doing pretty well. I still have a bunch of red marks, but my skin feels pretty smooth.

My lips are yuck, too! Overall, I feel like people are looking at me and thinking, "What the heck happened to this girl's face!"

Oh, the joys of accutane!