Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lainey321

For those of us who are long past puberty...

I am curious about a few things...

Are you male or female?

What is your age?

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult?

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return?

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)?

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc?

Are you male or female? Female

What is your age? 36

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? extremely light case of acne through puberty then much worse after 28 y/o

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? Yes. I used Glytone system after I had my first daughter and it made my face nearly completely clear. Tried it again after acne returned and it didnt' do anything.

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? I think mine started when I went off BC pills to get pregnant and then the subsequent hormone fluctuations of pg made it even worse but don't have that excuse now (my youngest is 4 y/o)

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? Yes, somewhat (that and my weight...I need to lose 20-30#)

I am curious about a few things...

Are you male or female?

What is your age?

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)?

Are you male or female? female

What is your age? 44

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? teenager

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? Pregnancy. LOL! That's the ONLY time my skin has ever been clear - just while I'm pregnant. I have noticed that the amount of sleep I am getting plays a huge role in how clear my skin is. If I am working on a project that is keeping me up at nights, I will break out. I think it has something to do with the body being able to heal itself while at rest.

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? Yes, 2 kids and it's about the same. Of course it's better now than it was when I was in high school/ college, but I have had breakouts consistently since I hit puberty. Now that I'm perimenopausal, it seems to be improving. At least it is getting less oily and thinning a bit. I am also having really good success with MD Formulations adult acne system, BP, exfoliating, and aspirin masques. I am clear of active acne at the moment - just trying to maintain it. I wouldn't say I'm "cured" though ... still prone to the monthly cyst or two and still have some congested pores that refuse to clear out. I found this board in January because I had a really bad cystic breakout and was trying to figure out what was happening. I think it could have been the new MMU I was using or perhaps just dry, irritated skin that became infected.

My oldest son has already had to go through Accutane treatments, but we caught it early enough that he has no scarring. His skin is flawless and his pores are tiny now. Thank goodness for Accutane.

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? Nope. I have a wonderful DH who also suffered from acne. He went on Accutane about 23 years ago when it was brand new and we were newlyweds. The side effects were HORRIBLE back then because the dose was so high, but it totally cleared him up and he's never had a problem since. They have really improved the Accutane regimen since then. I am in front of people with my job, but I just don't let the acne affect my performance. Concealer and full-coverage makeup are my best friends.

I have tried almost everything short of Accutane for my skin. My dermatologist finally gave up because the traditional treatments weren't working and I didn't want to stay on birth control or do Accutane. I am so blessed in other areas of my life, I just can't let myself get down about the state of my face on any given day. I am going to stay on my current regimen and hope for the best since it seems to be working.

I so wish they could find a cure for acne.

Wow, didn't mean to write a novel here.........

Are you male or female? Male

What is your age?38

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? hmmm teenager but has gotten worse last few years

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? no, pretty much the same

Yeah, way too much really. I am a professional musician and have to be in the public eye very often. Being on stage isn't bad, you are far enough away from the audience that they can't see you up close, unless it's a big show and they have the vid camera's and big screen's out. That's scary, zoom in for a great closeup of your face and you have a great big zit on the end of your nose. funny now, not at the time.

I've missed parties, avoided friends and family because of a break out. I never have really severe breakouts, one or two at a time pretty much constantly but a lot of the time they end up right on the end of my nose, right where it's nice and conspicuous. It's ruined my self esteem. Now I have scars and that isn't helping my self image either.

What is your age? 30 (just)

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? Teenager

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? Yup-retin-a, The pill, and accutane

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? Don't have kids. If I wanted kids, I would be petrified to get off the pill

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? YES. I'm good with makeup and my b/f is FANTASTIC but it just is so humiliating. I too, have missed social outings because of acne.

What is your age? 25

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? Adult

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? Several cleansers and toners

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? Yes. I never want to go out or see anyone when I have a breakout.

Are you male or female? Female.

What is your age? 22

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? Late teenager, early adult: I was seventeen, almost eighteen.

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? See, there's the cincher. "Cure" implies it goes away and never comes back. I tried Minocycline in the past, and it was awesome, and once again I have horrible acne. I'm on Mino again, hoping that it works.

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? No kids at this time.

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? Absolutely. I hate going out. I don't go out unless I have a face full of make-up to hide my face. If it's a "casual" event, I won't go, because I feel silly wearing just jeans and a t-shirt with a ton of make-up on. I hate life. I barely ever socialize anymore.

Whew. Sorry for the abuse of the bolds and italics there. xP

What is your age? 23

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? I've had it since I was 11-12 (basically when I started puberty)

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? Specific birth control pills that I have used and are no longer on. I am going to switch back to it after I'm done with the one I'm on now. It was never perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than it is now

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? n/a

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? doesn't affect my relationship, but it bothers me when I am out in public, especially when I have a HUGE zit on my nose.

Are you male or female? Male

What is your age? 30

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? teenager

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? Yes. Clindamycin

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? NA

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? Yes, absolutely. It effects every part of my life.

Are you male or female? im female

What is your age? 27

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? had a few spots during teenage yrs but it became a problem when i was 21..

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? no

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? with my first pregnancy my skin was not too bad ( i was 17)

second pregnancy skin was terrible ( age 24)

third pregnancy skin was terrible again ( age 26)

oh yeah, i have no confidance anymore and feel like im too ugly to be around people, im ashamed to look at people and feel like a freak!!

acne is so destructive and im not the same person i was 7 yrs ago... :boohoo:

What is your age? 21 (I'm calling myself an adult)

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? I had some skin problems when I was around 13, but I cleared up during most of my teen years. My acne got really bad around 18, and has been a pain since then.

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? Not really, nothing seems to work for me totally. Changing my diet cleared me up more than anything else though, but I still have problems.

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? Nope, no kids.

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? Yes, I was just thinking about locking myself away for the day and not seeing anyone. I will go out, but I really have to force myself.

In essence I think that we are not at all the same people we once were and acne and skin problmes just make it worse. I work with kids and I do mean kids that have the most gorgeous skin. Then there are the ones that come in at lunch and most of them have beautiful skin. Women my age(in there 40's) have great skin and I deal with this all the time. There is one lady at church in her late 50's she has the most gorgeous skin, barley a wrinkle and I bet she never had acne. I deal with laugh lines that are dry, red, blotchy, things bother my skin now that never used to and now I deal with a puffy eye, just one, that has dry skin under it that no matter what I do just looks bad, and the lines that are under it, I just hate it! I think that you are either born with good skin and great genes or you get problems like all of us have. Just my opinion as I constantly look at peoples skin and think, they must think I look like the bride of frankenstein! I am a female, I am 47, can't wait to see what I look like at 50. I also avoid social things too and I get embarassed when I meet my daughters boyfriend or any of her friends. It makes me wonder what he thinks about my daughter and if she will look like that when she is my age.

What is your age? 32

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? adult (22)

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? antibiotics works but acne keeps coming back at inervals

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? one kid..no acne during or after pregnancy. Clear almosta year after child birth.

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? not drastically, but it definitely lowers your confidence. Its always in back of your mind that people are looking at your acne.

Guest Aloetta

Are you male or female? FEMALE

What is your age? 40 +

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? early teen (early puberty)....late 20's -30 REPULSIVE erruptions..due to Oily skin, Chem-& Hormonal FLARE-UPS.....

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? yes, Topical Lotions, Cleansers/Soaps, and Antibiotics such as Tetracyline and others Clindamycin on & off ANTIBIOTIC's, ALCOHOL & Topical Agents SALYIC ACID ..etc..such as BP which made my skin flake/Peel & ITCH and blocked BACTERIA not RID of it..

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? na

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? it has...

I am CLEAR of being that Acne Sufferer after years of DREADFULL and PAINFUL battle...

Having implemented most of my common knowledge from long-time search & sufferance due from this horrific agony I am content to annonce that I have been CLEAR of it in YEARS - I know MY SKIN... I know the CHANGES my body takes and certain reactions to elements, foods and chemicals. :angel:

Which I believe is very CRUCIAL for curative measures. :cool:

My SKIN is AWESOME... I look Younger than my chronical AGE... perhaps due to RIGHT FOODS and proper maintence - I was also comment on having Porceline-like SKIN... - Now that TRULY was a COMPLIMENT for me... ( as I have been one of those SEVERE SUFFERERS)

I hope all of you may find your cures.. if not ALTERNATIVES as I have... I know what an IMPACT this Disease (and I call it a DISEASE) may be...

Good Luck!!!

Are you male or female?

*female*

What is your age?

*39*

*Occassional pimple as a teen, regular breakouts began around age 20*

*Constantly on acne meds for 20 years. Nothing made it go away...except for now, I just finished a course of accutane*

*major flare, after the birth of my second child. That was temporary though...once the hormones settled down, the acne wasn't as bad*

*It has. There were days that I passed on social obligations because of the condition of my skin. Impacted how I dressed (back acne)*

What is your age? 30

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? mild as a teen and cystic when I turned 28

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? it hasn't returned yet!

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? While pregant my skin was amazing. Having kids didn't affect it at all. The baby was 1 1/2 when my face broke out. For me it's hormonal.

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? yes, it affected my relationship with my husband and socializing. I felt so ugly I never wanted to go anywhere or do anything. I hid in the house.

What is your age? 38

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? 13

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? Proactive and Birth Control. Because of my age and the fact that I smoke, using Birth Control to control the acne is not an option now.

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? Acne got worse during pregnancy and never got better

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? Most definitely

My acne is supposedly hereditary. My father had horrible acne that didnt clear up until he was well into his 40's and it left horrible scars and pits all over his face and neck. I read some where that it is hereditary. Of course I couldnt get my mother's beautiful skin. She is 58 and looks 45. Her sister is 66 and looks 50. Acne has never been an issue for either of them with the exception of the occassional small zit on their chin during their menstrual cycle. I tell you its just not fair. Thank God acne is not an issue for either of my sons.

Lorrie

What is your age? 33

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? teen

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? antibiotics, accutane

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? n/a

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? Bigtime. I'm currently stressing the sweat factor of impending warm weather at my job. Humidity and my skin do not get along. Plus, I cover my acne, redmarks, & scars up with makeup.

I miss appointments, socializing, & much outdoor fun while trying to save myself from more damage so that I can go to work more comfortably...Forever trying to give my skin makeup free healing time.

*sigh* Rather pathetic, I'm afraid. :(

Are you male or female? male

What is your age? 20

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? around 19

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? no, everything i've tried has helped but never clerd me completely, except accutane. i currently have no acne.

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? male

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? no

What is your age? 22

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? Had your average teenage acne (some times worse than others), persistant mild acne began at 21

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? B5 + duac + Retin A. Not sure if it was the combo, or just one, or two... right now I'm on Retin A Micro and nothing else

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? None yet. I haven't found birth contorl to help or hurt my skin

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? Yes, greatly. I am often cancelling on my friends, I try to avoid having to go into superior's offices at work so they don't have to see my skin, and I prefer to spend my weekends hiding. I don't enjoy my favorite foods anymore, I put myself on a strict diet and drink endless amounts of water. I am constantly afraid to let my boyfriend touch my face, or my pillow to be dirty, or my hair even come close to my face.

What is your age? 22

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? Adult. Started when I was about 19.

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? I used ProActiv for about 6 months with success, but then my acne returned with a vengeance

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? No kids (not yet anyway!) Also, regarding birth control, i've been on it for 6 months and it has only mildly improved my acne :|

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? Yes! I'm constantly worrying about my makeup and having to put it on and whether it looks good or is fading off etc. I don't do a lot of things because of it - like going to the beach, camping, traveling etc.

First off - Wanna say its nice to hear a few older voices here! Read another thread where noone seemed over the age of about 22 and was thinking it was about time to leave ... Anyway

What is your age? 34

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? Teenager, but pretty mild then

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? Minocycline, Dianette (Diane 35 for the Americans amongst you)

If you are female have you had kids and if so how did it relate to your skin (better or worse)? No children

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? At the time I had acne, I didn't think it affected me that much. But when my skin cleared up I because a much more outgoing and confident person. So now I realise that it affected me alot.

What is your age? 22

Did your acne start when you were a teenager or adult? since I was 11.

Have you used anything that has worked to cure your acne only for it to return? accutane- very temporary, came back both times.

Do you think your acne affects your relationships, job, socializing, etc? yes-- I don't want to go out, date, see my friends, get a job, etc :(