Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nomattic

Good News/Bad News

So, I've been on the DKR for only about 1 month now. I use Cetaphil Dry to Normal Skin Face Wash, sometimes a toner (depends), Dan's BP, and Complex 15 with some jojoba oil.

The good news: It's working pretty well, much better than ANY bp treatment I've come in contact with. My acne is becoming under control and while I'm still breaking out some, it's definitely at a lower intensity and the acne comes and goes much quicker.

The bad news: I have had to work up to putting so much on (almost 2 fingers full twice a day) to see any results, that I go through a tube a week it seems. At this rate I can't keep up for so many reasons. It's too expensive for me to buy that much BP! Yes, it comes in a bigger size, but I need so much it's the same cost/use ratio as a smaller amount. I wish there was another way. I'm starting to think I should just go on a second course of insurance-covered Accutane.

So, I've been on the DKR for only about 1 month now. I use Cetaphil Dry to Normal Skin Face Wash, sometimes a toner (depends), Dan's BP, and Complex 15 with some jojoba oil.

The good news: It's working pretty well, much better than ANY bp treatment I've come in contact with. My acne is becoming under control and while I'm still breaking out some, it's definitely at a lower intensity and the acne comes and goes much quicker.

The bad news: I have had to work up to putting so much on (almost 2 fingers full twice a day) to see any results, that I go through a tube a week it seems. At this rate I can't keep up for so many reasons. It's too expensive for me to buy that much BP! Yes, it comes in a bigger size, but I need so much it's the same cost/use ratio as a smaller amount. I wish there was another way. I'm starting to think I should just go on a second course of insurance-covered Accutane.

How well does your insurance cover Accutane? My insurance requires a $40 co-pay from me for each office visit, and $50 for each monthly bloodwork, plus $12 prescription co-pay once I meet the $100 deductible (which is SO easy to max out on month 1 alone). Cost-wise, it's pretty good... unless you figure in all the stuff I need to keep my body in shape from the drying out effect of Accutane.

If your insurance covers Accutane well, then the only choice is to figure out if you want to deal with the logistics of iPledge again (unless you're male, then it's not so bad for you).

HTH

if your using two fingers use one and a half! save more bp! and cut the tube open when u feel like theres nothing left but voila there are some left its like magic huh?

difference between 1 1/2 to 2 isnt significant also buying bp is an opportunity cost instead of going out partying buying drinks and stuff how bout saving and buying bp or better yet stop buying junk food or video games!

get dan's BP man if you dont have a credit card you can send the money in the mail. it'll save you a ton of money plus i think it works the best.

If you actually read what the OP wrote, you'd see that it clearly mentions he uses Dan's BP.

if your using two fingers use one and a half! save more bp! and cut the tube open when u feel like theres nothing left but voila there are some left its like magic huh?

difference between 1 1/2 to 2 isnt significant also buying bp is an opportunity cost instead of going out partying buying drinks and stuff how bout saving and buying bp or better yet stop buying junk food or video games!

What is it with people not reading what people write? The OP said in order to see any results he has to use 2 fingers full 2x/day.

Why are you assuming what the OP spends their money on? What's with the antagonism?

Are you sure you need that much BP? I think the reason it's taken you that much BP to see results is not because of the amount of BP at all, but because you need to be using a relatively large amount of it for a while (a month after you've started isn't long enough) to completely kill off acne bacteria and thus prevent acne. You aren't really supposed to have clear skin or even skin that's nearly clear after only a month, because most of that month is spent just working up to use ONE full finger of BP (not two). I think you should try cutting back the amount of BP you use to somewhere around 1 finger, maybe 1.25 or 1.5 fingers at most, and keep using that amount twice a day rather than two full fingers. Also, you will still have breakouts over the next month or two though they tend to decrease in frequency and severity, so don't start upping your BP dramatically on account of some new breakouts if those do happen. Unless you use BP for body acne, you shouldn't be running out of BP faster than two weeks. Also, be sure you are cutting open the tube to get the extra juicy BP out of there before you toss it since there's usually a few days worth of applications left behind.

JdM240sX: In reference to what I supposedly spend my money on, I am confused as to why or how you are assuming that I spend my money on anything you have listed, as I don't believe we've ever spoken. To clear that up, I cant "stop" spending my money on junk food or video games seeing as I don't eat junk food nor do I own a video game system. As to assuming that I "party" and buy "drinks" I just thought I'd mention that I'm a recovered alcoholic of 2 years who no longer drinks or takes any recreational drugs of any kind, so your comment holds no relevance to my life or situation. Actually I really only spend a majority of my money trying to solve my acne problem, which is sad enough in itself.

I am aware of the cutting of the tube phenomenon, but appreciate the suggestion anyway as it is definitely true. So thanks for that, seriously!

I guess the only reason I use so much BP is because before going on the DKR I was already using Proactiv bp, so I had built up some degree of immunity. I had no initial burning or redness on the DKR, in fact I hardly noticed anything at all. I slowly built up until I started noticing my acne leveling off to some degree. In order to see the results that I should be according to Dan's "what to expect chart" I had to up my dosage even more than he suggested and consequently have spent a lot of money in the process. Dan's system is well thought out and I'm really glad it works for some people but at this point I'm at the end of my rope as far as money goes, and missing a BP application sets me back almost to where I started. I actually have a dermatology appointment right now so I'll see what he thinks about everything. Thanks for the replies!

I guess the only reason I use so much BP is because before going on the DKR I was already using Proactiv bp, so I had built up some degree of immunity. I had no initial burning or redness on the DKR, in fact I hardly noticed anything at all. I slowly built up until I started noticing my acne leveling off to some degree. In order to see the results that I should be according to Dan's "what to expect chart" I had to up my dosage even more than he suggested and consequently have spent a lot of money in the process.

Dan's chart is only a rough guideline, though, and you don't need to be changing the amount of BP you use in order to have the results he suggests you might have at certain points. My progress wasn't really in line with Dan's predictions, I was probably about several weeks behind in progress than what he stated on the moderate chart. I think his are a bit too optimistic particularly for moderate cases, honestly. I also don't think you need to use two fingers of Dan's gel to have your acne level off, you just need to give using a smaller/more normal dose more time--again, it's not using a huge huge huge amount of BP that will prevent acne (only a, uh, somewhat huge amount like 1 finger or maybe 1.25 fingers should suffice), but rather doing it consistently for weeks to kill off virtually all P. acnes bacteria. The reason you saw your acne level off wasn't because of increased the amount to two fingers, I believe, but because you had been applying large amounts of BP (on account of being used to it from Proactiv) for a few weeks. You might be hesitant to cut back on the BP, but I think you will be doing your wallet and your skin a favor by decreasing it down to maybe 1.25 fingers or so. I hope the derm appointment goes well and that maybe you can find the best way to treat your acne, but in the meantime, I really really think you should cut back on the BP.

Yea I'm pretty sure you're right, cool as kim deal. I guess it's typical for me to want results so badly I'll do anything, even though sometimes it isn't so rational or effective looking back on it. I was just prescribed Amnesteen by my dermatologist about 2 hours ago and am picking up the prescription tonight. I'm thinking I'll use some of Dan's BP to ease the transition until the drying gets to be uncomfortable, unless this is really not a good idea. Do you think I should quit the DKR cold turkey?

Hmm. Well, since you already have the amnesteem scrip, you don't have to do what a lot of other people trying to transition from the DKR to accutane do which is to go off the regimen before they see their derm so that their skin looks bad enough to get the prescription! I think you can just do the regimen as normal until your start, but once you do pop the first amnesteem pill, absolutely stop using BP since your skin will quickly become even drier, thinner, and it won't be able to handle all the chemicals on it that it could before. My understanding is you aren't supposed to use any active topical treatments while on accutane, your derm probably explained that to you. You might keep your moisturizer around, though, since accutane will slow your oil production rate down a lot and your skin could get uncomfortably dry. So yeah, I say drop the DKR now, just let the amnesteem do all the work! The BP probably won't be able to do much to prevent initial breakouts and the like anyway, so I don't think you'd be helping yourself out but using the regimen until your skin can't take it anymore.

Haha, that's exactly what I did. I wasn't going to admit that, but I stopped using the regimen for 3 days and stocked up on dairy products to try to get my skin looking as crappy as possible. I found myself waking up those mornings praying I was gettin new pimples and seeing a fresh one got me all excited. It was a weird experience, for real. I guess it worked though since I got the scrip. Now I just want that crap to clear up and at least get back to where I was on the regimen. I guess sometimes you gotta sacrifice a little to get a little. After the first day my skin is already dry so I'm stopping today with the bp.