Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HomicidalMo0se

Should I Go On Accutane Again?

And my acne's coming back again like it was before. I stopped taking it in August '06. Only 7 months... So... I don't know what the heck to do. I was thinking about maybe going on another course of Accutane. Now that I think about it... My first course was only 60mg/day and I was only on it for 3 months. So that comes to about 100mg/kg. I'm thinking about sticking to it for 5 months this time around. So that'll be 160mg/kg (is that too much?).

This happen to anyone else in this short of time?

And my acne's coming back again like it was before. I stopped taking it in August '06. Only 7 months... So... I don't know what the heck to do. I was thinking about maybe going on another course of Accutane. Now that I think about it... My first course was only 60mg/day and I was only on it for 3 months. So that comes to about 100mg/kg. I'm thinking about sticking to it for 5 months this time around. So that'll be 160mg/kg (is that too much?).

This happen to anyone else in this short of time?

Ive read somewhere that lack of fat can make absorbtion fall to 50% of that of absorbtion with adequate fat. I dont think soya milk has much fat in it (check) so that might mean ur cumulative dose is only 60%-70% of what u might think. Either that or ur just unlucky.

take the pills with your meals. also, i don't think you got enough accutane during your first course. if i were you i'd stay on for 5 months at least this time.

you could try fish oil and balancing your omega 6/3 to 1:1 ratio. there tons of science backing it up, im not saying its gonna help you but it sure as hell aint gonna hurt you or cost as much as accutane but ive been doing it for two weeks and have seen some good results, hopefully in two months i will see if this will do it for good or not, and there are others on this site that feel the same way, funny thing is i dont think ive run into anyone on this site that has ever even tried it before.

Nutr Rev. 2004 Sep;62(9):333-9. Links

Polyunsaturated fatty acid regulation of gene expression.Sampath H, Ntambi JM.

Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA.

Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), specifically the n-3 series, have been implicated in the prevention of various human diseases, including obesity, diabetes, coronary heart disease and stroke, and inflammatoryand neurologic diseases. PUFAs function mainly by altering membrane lipid composition, cellular metabolism, signal transduction, and regulation of gene expression. PUFAs regulate the expression of genes in various tissues, including the liver, heart, adipose tissue, and brain. The role of transcription factors such as SREBP1c and nuclear receptors such as PPAR-alpha, HNF-4alpha, and LXRalpha in mediating the nuclear effects of PUFAs are addressed.

J Invest Dermatol. 2006 Sep;126(9):2002-9. Epub 2006 May 4. Links

Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors increase human sebum production.Trivedi NR, Cong Z, Nelson AM, Albert AJ, Rosamilia LL, Sivarajah S, Gilliland KL, Liu W, Mauger DT, Gabbay RA, Thiboutot DM.

The Jake Gittlen Cancer Research Institute, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA.

Sebum production is key in the pathophysiology of acne, an extremely common condition, which when severe, may require treatment with isotretinoin, a known teratogen. Apart from isotretinoin and hormonal therapy, no agents are available to reduce sebum. Increasing our understanding of the regulation of sebum production is a milestone in identifying alternative therapeutic targets. Studies in sebocytes and human sebaceous glands indicate that agonists of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) alter sebaceous lipid production. The goal of this study is to verify the expression and activity of PPARs in human skin and SEB-1 sebocytes and to assess the effects of PPAR ligands on sebum production in patients. To investigate the contribution of each receptor subtype to sebum production, lipogenesis assays were performed in SEB-1 sebocytes that were treated with PPAR ligands and isotretinoin. Isotretinoin significantly decreased lipogenesis, while the PPARalpha agonist-GW7647, PPARdelta agonist-GW0742, PPARalpha/delta agonist-GW2433, PPARgamma agonist rosiglitazone, and the pan-agonist-GW4148, increased lipogenesis. Patients treated with thiazolidinediones or fibrates had significant increases in sebum production (37 and 77%, respectively) when compared to age-, disease-, and sex-matched controls. These data indicate that PPARs play a role in regulating sebum production and that selective modulation of their activity may represent a novel therapeutic strategy for the treatment of acne.

just to let you know omega 6 and 3 make eicosanoids which bind to ppar.

also think about the fact that your sebum is made of fat and perhaps the quality of your dietaryy fat has something to do with the quality of your sebum, since using fish oil ive noticed a difference in my sebum quality, its more viscous and after one week my face started to get drier and started to look creamy.

i dont want to say this is going to work for you and hype it up unessecarily because its only been two weeks for me, but a very good two weeks ill say.

just getting the word out.

To make it clear, fish oils contain omega-3 and omega-6 right? Is that what you're saying?

So... Do you take these pills with your accutane? Would that be enough fat to get the accutane to absorb into my body more efficiently?

To make it clear, fish oils contain omega-3 and omega-6 right? Is that what you're saying?

So... Do you take these pills with your accutane? Would that be enough fat to get the accutane to absorb into my body more efficiently?