Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stel

Raw Foods Diet

i was reading an article on this raw foods website and one of the positive results that it mentioned was skin clear (along with other things like weight loss). has anybody heard anything about this? anybody eat raw? from what i gathered, eating raw is mostly just about eating foods that aren't cooked. many people are vegan on the diet and use organic foods.

......hm, just curious. :eh:

Hello,

I started the raw food diet about a year ago, after reading stories of so many people who got rid of their acne eating this way, and after trying most of the popular supplements and topicals mentioned here without success. I have fallen in love with eating this way, and I see improvement in my acne each month. It has been a very slow, gradual improvement for me, unlike for many other raw foodist I know, who got rid of their acne pretty quickly eating all raw. However, I have so much faith in eating this way, for my acne and my health, and at the rate of improvement I've been having, I should be acne-free this year.

oops, I forgot to add that the red marks disappeared very quickly after I started the raw food diet.

how do you get protein do you eat raw meat?

thats gross i dont think i could do that

No, I don't eat raw meat. I get my proteins from nuts & seeds.

Stel - You might find this place interesting: www.veggieboards.com There is a raw food message board there that is pretty active and some of them might be able to answer your questions.

As for protein, there is plenty of protein in beans, lentils, nuts and lots of proteins in green veggies.

thanks guys for all the input! i would be interested in actually eating raw (or mostly raw) for a few weeks to test it out, but the only thing that's a bit daunting is how expensive it would get... i also have the concern about not feeling full after eating- any advice, Ching?

apple blossem- i'll def. check out that site, thanks!

thanks guys for all the input! i would be interested in actually eating raw (or mostly raw) for a few weeks to test it out, but the only thing that's a bit daunting is how expensive it would get... i also have the concern about not feeling full after eating- any advice, Ching?

Stel - You might find this place interesting: www.veggieboards.com There is a raw food message board there that is pretty active and some of them might be able to answer your questions.

As for protein, there is plenty of protein in beans, lentils, nuts and lots of proteins in green veggies.

yes there are proteins in all of those but would that amount to something like 300g which is what a person with my activity level needs per day ?

and how good is the bioavailability of those proteins compared to animal/fish sources ?

Hi Stel,

To be honest with you, when I first started eating raw, it was a bit expensive due to all the experimentation and buying lots of pre-made raw snacks(very expensive) at WholeFoods. However, now that I know where to buy foods(mostly Farmer's Markets) and how to make all the raw snacks myself, I usually spend $20/week on grocery. I guess like everything else, this kind of lifestyle takes practice.

I haven't had any experience with not feeling full after eating. The main reason that I love this way of eating is because I always feel completely satisfied(but not stuffed) after eating, and I never feel guilty eating anything I desire, as long as they are raw and not processed.

Hope that helps...

Raw veganism is way too limiting. Veganism in general, I don't agree with much as far as health goes. It is very ethical though. Raw octo-lavo vegetarian (as in eating raw dairy products like raw cheese/raw milk, raw eggs) is a much more sensible choice. Vegetarianism w/ dairy and eggs in general, I favor very much so as a diet, just as long as the milk is organic and preferably raw/clean, and the eggs are omega-3. Throughout much of European history, the lower class people ate like that for the most part as meat was more scarce and expensive, and mainly a privilage of the rich.

Whey protein and egg protein have the best amino acid profiles anyway, you're not missing much cutting out meat really. Besides, raw meat can harbor parasites while the biggest dangers of milk and eggs eaten raw is salmonella, which is a hell of a lot better than getting a tapeworm.

Raw veganism is way too limiting. Veganism in general, I don't agree with much as far as health goes. It is very ethical though. Raw octo-lavo vegetarian (as in eating raw dairy products like raw cheese/raw milk, raw eggs) is a much more sensible choice. Vegetarianism w/ dairy and eggs in general, I favor very much so as a diet, just as long as the milk is organic and preferably raw/clean, and the eggs are omega-3. Throughout much of European history, the lower class people ate like that for the most part as meat was more scarce and expensive, and mainly a privilage of the rich.

Whey protein and egg protein have the best amino acid profiles anyway, you're not missing much cutting out meat really. Besides, raw meat can harbor parasites while the biggest dangers of milk and eggs eaten raw is salmonella, which is a hell of a lot better than getting a tapeworm.

I don't think veganism is "ethical" at all. Your first biological responsibilty is to yourself and your offspring. From that perspective, veganism is maladaptive.

I dont know, I think tapeworms are rather cute.

Go find yourself several nice, fat, juicy raw steaks and eat them... and maybe you'll be able to adopt some little chubby tapeworms as pets from your toilet bowl. Follow my example. They only live on hamburger, btw. And they aren't as troublesome as fish -- you don't have to clean their "tank" every few weeks.

Btw, I liked the Tyra Banks movie about raw food. I hope to make my diet 1/3rd raw in the coming years.

I've been vegan for 10 years and feel great. I would never go back to eating meat and dairy.

As for raw foods, if you live near Northern California, you must try Cafe Gratitude, a raw restaurant in San Francisco and San Rafael. Check out the menu. Eating raw is much more interesting than carrots and lettuce:

http://www.withthecurrent.com/menu.html

It really is an experience!

Before I was a vegetarian or a vegan, I thought the vegan diet was REALLY cutting it close to an unhealthy diet (or it was an unhealthy diet by extremists). Of course, I never looked at my own restaurant-diet as THAT unhealthy because EVERYONE was eating like me. :P I think people should try it for one month before deciding that it is unhealthy (with the aide of an experienced vegan to show you all the new choices in food because it takes months to find them sometimes).

It forces you to eat healthier and to double check and see if you are getting a balanced and adiquate diet -- but people SHOULD be forced to do this as an omnivore/vegetarian/vegan diet.

I think a dairy-free(cheese, cream, whole milk) vegetarian diet that included an egg or two every month (for those who are worried about being completely vegan) is a lot healthier diet those omnivores or vegetarians that eat so many meals piled with cheese and cream sauces -- or who insist on whole milk every day or every other day. If they want probiotics, have a few spoonfuls of yogurt or organic milk every month to ensure themselves. However, the continual, daily or weekly consumption of cheese, milk, yogurt, eggs and cream is unneeded. I think people could be very healthy on this sort of diet --- a 90% vegan diet for those too worried to try a completely vegan diet.

I think one thing most omnivores take for granted is that they assume they are getting all the nutrients they need (because they 'fit in' and eat like everyone else). However, people on a vegetarian/vegan diet are worried to death that they aren't getting enough nutrients (like me!) and are forced to eat healthier foods every day -- and this "checking and rechecking" leads to a healthier diet in the long run. I no longer think, "I can get by on Doritos, chicken and hamburgers this week, and will have a salad this weekend." (this is how all my friends eat :P) I think everyone should try a vegetarian and 90% vegan diet to see that it isnt as scary as it looks and maybe they'll like some of the changes.

-----------

On a different topic, a friend at work was diagnosed with Diabetes II. I gave him a book that said it could cure his diabetes problem within a few weeks by a low-fat vegan diet. He did the diet as an experiment (all of us weren't sure what the results would be --and were mostly curious).

After one week on the diet, his blood-sugar level dropped 100 points, and he lost 12 pounds. He's been on the diet 3 weeks and has been taken off his diabetic medication. I just can't believe how fast it worked. :P