Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
truthteller

Should I pop pimples or let them pop naturally?

HI guys,

Quick question. When a pimple forms on my face, it's usually red with no pus showing. When I put benzoyl on it overnight, I notice that the next day I can see the pus VERY clearly through the pimple. This makes the pimple VERY sensitive to touch, meaning it will pop very easily when touched. Heres the question :

Should I pop the pimple (using a needle) and drag out the pus OR should I just let it pop naturally (sometimes when im washing my face the pimple will pop so easily by itself, even to gentle touch)? Im not sure if popping it causes scars or what-not.

Thanks!

I think that probability of scaring depends on how sensitive your skin is. I know that it has been experience that pimples can a long time to go away naturally and when pimp goes away naturally i still get a reddish scare. I scar no matter what happens so I like to pop pimps in control situation that I can control (plus I get the satisfaction of popping them).

its so easy to say this put its tru....dont pop them...more bacteria spreads the way......everyone wants to because nobody wants to feel them....or look at them....to be honest id rather look at the redness then the whitehead....but if u let it dry out it will go away fast....sometimes poppin it will leave a red mark for awhile

Ty

Popping a pimple can be beneficial; here's a page from this site about it:

http://www.acne.org/pop.html

I've found that if you try and force a pimple to pop, you'll likely do more harm than good, but if the pimple's ready to pop on its own you might help things by releasing its contents. So basically if the pimple doesn't pop easily when you're applying light pressure around it (you can use Q-tips or cover your fingertips in tissue paper so your fingers don't slip around on the skin), leave it alone. Also, be sure to disinfect the area after with benzoyl peroxide (2.5-5%) or tea tree oil (5-15%).

If your face doesn't scar if you pop, I say pop if they're ready. I've become sort of a master at popping a pimple over the past years, and here's my criteria:

First off, if the pimple is not visible with a passing glance of a few seconds at your face, LEAVE IT ALONE NO MATTER HOW NASTY OR PAINFUL IT FEELS.

1) The pimple must be visibly protruding from your face. If you can't see a bump on your face when looking sideways in a mirror, it's either too small to mess with or too far below your skin and will likely only be pushed deeper by trying to pop.

2) It has to be painful. If you touch the pimple gently and there's no pain, it's probably not containing enough pressure and won't want to pop unless you somehow open a perfect canal to the pus with a needle. That kind of precision is hard to achieve.

3) It has to be a large pimple. Smaller pimples aren't worth popping because the aggravation to your face is worse than the small pimple.

My rule of thumb is this:

Not popping large pimples leads to unsightly red marks for extended periods of time.

Popping large pimples leads to smaller pimples and less severe red marks.

Popping smaller pimples leads to more smaller or larger pimples.

Not popping smaller pimples leads to small red marks and not as many pimples.

This is for my face, what I've found... but many people here have said and I'll reitterate: if there's one thing you can do for your acne, it's to stop picking at your face. Controlled popping and not picking at every clogged pour or tiny zit has done wonders for me in the last few months. I'm not 100% clear yet, but most on this site would rate my now-mild acne at a 2/10, probably a 1/10. I no longer get moderate breakouts. I feel I'm on the path to being 99% clear, and it's all been done with Dan's regime and lack of face picking. I continue and will likely continue to eat like complete shit while my metabolism will allow.

I usually pop bigger pimples since I've tried leaving em but they get very crusty and scabby and last a long time and STILL leave a redmark so I'd rather just pop em and get em healing quicker. Smaller ones usually fall of by themselves in a few days and I'll try to leave em if they're not noticeable.