Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bearish

Just started..40mg per day.. Wish me luck!!

Hey guys

Day 6

I just started my 6th day of 40mg per day on Roaccutane. Decided to start up a journal to chronicle my journey and hopefully give back to the community I have learnt so much from.

My acne is fairly moderate, very cystic yet doesn't ever come to the surface. I have been told that this is a form of adult acne and is concentrated on my lower cheeks and jawline. I used to have bad acne as a teenager on my forehead which just disappeared on its own a couple yrs ago and my skin was fairly perfect, albeit a little oily. Lately, my jawline and cheeks have started to flare up so my derm prescribed me Roaccutane since I have been fairly unresponsive with everything else for my previous acne.

All i can say is so far, I feel sore back, chapped lips, my skin is not actually dry at all ie. I don't feel the need to use moisturizer yet although I burn real easy. (Was out in the sun for about 15 minutes on a very hot day) and I felt like my face had been burnt off.

My acne is definately getting worse at the moment which is probabaly part of the whole initial breakout thing.

Anyway, just a question, do you guys know what the rates of relapse are on Roaccutane?

I am a 21yo male, first time course, 40mg a day. I have heard that adult acne has lower rates of relapse? I know it is different for every person but I ask because I am due to leave the country as soon as my course is finished and won't be back for 6 months and am terrified of being overseas for such a long-time and to have my acne relapse without access to my derm.

Thanks!

hey!! good luck on your Roaccutane! i hope it works wonders for you. i don't know about the relapse thing though. you can prob research it here on this website or call your derm and ask.

Guest MaxPowers585

hey whats up good luck...ull be clear in no time :dance:

Hey just wanna say good luck with the course and that ive just started my first course of 40mg/day (roaccutane). Today my 7th day so we started same day. Im 22 yo male but unlike you ive been told my acne is not adult and my derm seemed to think i could still outgrow it (hope so). Anyway whats ur weight? Im about 90kg and was wondering whether 40mg seems low (seems lotsa lighter people have started on higher doses). I hope ur course goes well and il keep a check of ur log.

As for the relapse thing, i think nearly everyone has 6 months of remission.

Cool!

I weigh about 75kg so not as much as you.

Well here goes an update.

Day 7

Basically, not much different.

Skin is still where it was before. If anything getting a little worse.

Lips are very dry now and am regularly using chap stick.

Skin is still producing oil though. IE I don't really feel the need to moisturize as yet although I do just for routines sake and I also put on sunblock because as before, I have become sensitive to the sun.

I am also feeling my nose drying up a little inside and my joints are definately a little sore every now and then.

I am still waiting for my skin to become drier and am hanging out for that. General consensus seems to be to wait about 2 weeks before the full side effects kick in.

Haven't had a terrible IB but things haven't cleared up and are probabaly getting worse so that could be it.

Not too discouraged, just need to ride it out.

Anyway Keelers do you have a log too?

No, i was thinking about starting a log but i spend enough time at this site as it is and i dont want anything else to distract me from final year at uni. The best way i find is just to try and ignore my skin...ive developed a good method of looking at only individual areas of skin so i dont realize how crap my face is as a whole. As for the effects im about the same as you....lips getting dry and skin getting a little worse :( no joint pains tho so thats a plus i guess. Its very early days anyhow i just hope that it works in the long term. Anyway keep us posted and goodluck

Day 9

Well, pretty much the same.

I think i am definately going through the IB. Cheeks are sore and i basically can't be bothered counting the number of sores.

Had my first nose bleed in the morning while blowing my nose. Lips are pretty much super dry now so am constantly being moisturised.

Skin is still fairly oily. Oily at the level that doesn't look oily but not dry and flaky. Nice level of dryness/oil which would be great to have post Tane.

Also, was contemplaying the gym last night but decided against it since I don't want to mess my hormones and I want to see results from the Tane before I start just so I don't have any doubts about Tane's effectivness.

Will keep you guys posted.

Day 13

Almost 2 weeks. Definately going through an IB.. face feels sensitive.. everybody is asking me why i look so red. Probabaly due to the thinning of the skin. When i get scratched slightly, it definately stings for longer than usual so i try not to itch my face.

Face is itchy as well.

Skin is not super dry yet. Still don't need to moisturise.

Lips are chapped as hell and mouth is really dry inside. Nose is also very dry. Muscle aches come and go and mild headaches.

Just waiting for the IB to settle down, skin to dry up and Tane to start working its magic.

Out of curiosity, how long before people started to feel the effects of drying up?

I'm on 40mg, male, about 75kg (140lb-ish)

Hey bearish, sounds like your in similar situation as me. My face is kinda red and skin feels like its tracing paper. Its not dry yet but certain areas are flaking off (i dunno how either). Think im having my IB. Things arent too bad so far but ive been getting outbreaks in areas i never usually do so im guessing thats its the tane causing it. Also i had my first nose bleed other night and my joints have been giving me pain. Kinda annoying but at least it shows its working. Good luck... oh and btw 75 kg is more than 140 lbs...more like 170 -180 :)

Day 15

Not much has changed.

Side effects are still the same.

Skin is still not really drying up so haven't had to use much moisturiser.

Struggling through the IB and waiting for it to pass over.

Weathering the storm i guess.

Hard pimples?

Has anyone noticed that when you get a new breakout that it tends to heal over a lot quicker but then lingers around for a while without being painful but has this scab like feeling to it? Like it could be picked off?

I don't dare scab or pick at anything or squeeze because i can tell my skin is just so thin and sensitive and the last thing I want is a scar.

Yup i gotta say im noticing exactly what ur describing. I get a pimple and eventualy the head falls off and pus comes out etc..Then i think il be left with that mess for a week or so (like normal) but it heals up into a wierd scab real quick. Scabs not red (aka blood) its like my skin somehow sealed around it in no time.

Day 16

Not much to report.

Same old.

Weathering the IB.

I am itchy everywhere though, like my arms, legs, find myself unconsciously scratching myself.

Alarm bells ring when I scratch my face so I don't really touch my face too often but everywhere else I scratch like a maniac.

Also found out that I have heaps of aloe vera plants in my garden so i tried them out and they seem to be working wonders for the itch on my face. Bought some gel as well since I don't want to waste the real stuff.

Working quite well my face isn't as itchy as before.

Am just hanging out now for the dryness and contemplating a new moisturiser because the Cetaphil Lotion I have although would work at night, is way too shiny for use during the day.

sO i am not wearing any moisturiser now except sunscreen on the days I go out.

Maybe if my face becomes really dry the Cetaphil well be absorbed and won't look shiny? Or maybe it will. I will probabaly look for some lighter daytime moisturiser if thats the case.

Anyway, I know its still early days.

Fingers crossed. Just want the IB to end.

And its good to know we're on the same track Keelers.

Good luck!

[Hey Bearish...I, too, have started using the aloe vera plants instead of the gel. My face has been really red and seems to have red bumps (they don't appear to be pimples). Actually, my face kind of hurts and itches so badly. To help soothe my skin, I have started putting the aloe leaf in the fridge for a little bit. That way it is nice and cool when I put it on my face. It feels something so soothing on my skin when it otherwise feels really irritated. You might want to give that a try...

Hi, bearish. I'm another fan of aloe vera (from the real plant, not the ones in a bottle), although I use it mostly for blemishes/rashes/etc. But moisturizing truly stops the itching. And if your face is drying out these days, a moisturizer for dry skin will not make your face look greasy (as it would if you have oily skin). You'll probably find that your skin will drink up the moisture. :) Anyway, wish you well!

Day 23

Well I haven't updated in a while but my skin doens't change too much on a daily basis so I figured I will only update when I feel like there is something to report on.

My skin is still not dry. It is not as oily as it used to be but definately does not feel like it needs to be moisturised.

My daily regimen consists of 40mg accutane +:

3 fish oil tabs

1 zinc tab

aloe vera (morning and night)

moisturiser (morning and night)

sunscreen (morning)

So far the usual side effects are all there coming and going, dry lips, had some majorly sore back pains recently, dry eyes, minor headaches, very thin skin, itchy skin (which when combined with thin skin leads to torn skin esp. near my arms).

I am also experiencing a dry-skin episode almost like eczema near my elbows which doesn't concern me too much but is worth noting.

In terms of skin, I think my IB is finally over, there haven't been any new spots lately, or at least massive clusters or groups like I experienced with the IB.

The redness is of course still there but i'm glad to know its starting to work. Got a new cyst starting to form on my temple, eyebrow and forehead but all of them seem to have just stopped emerging and are now sinking down again without leaving much behind.

I find my acne on roaccutane apart from being more plentiful during the IB and a little more red due to the thin skin, is actually less stubborn and seems to boil and calm down a lot quicker. They also leave hard scab like pus-filled looking things that just disappear on its own fairly quickly which I dont dare squeeze or pick at.

Staying away from alcohol generally and am hopeful to see my derm soon and make sure my blood tests are ok.

I am a little worried about my blood tests since I am taking the tane with greasy food often. I don't eat junk food at all but I make an effort to take the tane with fatty food hence my intake of cheese burgers and chicken wings has increased significantly. I will start going to the gym soon once I feel the tane start to work so hopefully that will help.

Day 26

Almost a month now.

Just wanted to chime in and say that my skin is definately getting drier and although its not flaking or anything its dry to touch. My skin on my hands is also slightly white from being dry and so are my elbows so I might need to start moisturising my body after showers at night. Not to fussed about it though cause i'm a boy. :)

So all in all, pleased to see the drug is really working and I feel the IB is starting to come down. Got a few more spots recently but seem to die down quickly. Not expecting miracle cures and understand it is a gradual process till the end. So i'm bracing for the ups and downs and am doing fairly well.

How are you holdin up Keelers?

I'm still worried about my diet though. Eating Tane with fatty foods has really made me pig out a lot. Need to start hitting the gym again, hopefully the fish oil will counteract muscle pains and not exacerbate the lower back pains im experiencing.

Going to pick up some Vit E tabs today as well since I heard it is fairly good supplement. Am currently on zinc and fish oil, will add Vit E to the list.

Just trying to avoid scarring anything. I can live with bad skin for 6 months but I don't want any ice-picks on what used to be flawless skin. :(

why are you avoiding the gym? I just started taking accutane and i plan on going to the gym as much as i always do.

How you doing bearish? its been a while since you updated. Well ive been put up to 60mg now and ive finally started to notice a little dryness. Nothing that needs moisturiser, buts its much less oily. Also i think my skin is definetly clearing, at the moment i dont have any emerging pimples, only old fading ones. Im sure this wont last, but its certainly improving overall. Hope your doing well too.