Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkxfriend

Blackhead treatments worsening skin

Have any of you found that certain treatments (I guess acidic ones) such as Apple Cider Vinegar and mandelic acid make certain parts of your skin worse? I have small blackheads on my nose (I have extremely oily skin there) and I've tried to be gentle while using ACV and mandelic acid (both with and without cleansing before with baking soda for exfoliation) and the blackheads remain but the skin looks blotchy and has hints of redness. It's not terrible but things certainly aren't improving. Should I continue my current mandelic acid trial (I've been going for about 5 days without seeing improvement) or perhaps this is a dead end for now. For those of you with this experience, have you found anything else to work? Thanks!

You're using 3 different exfoliants on your skin there...probably the reason for the red and blotchy. Lots of things loosen blackheads and prepare them for extraction. Some work their way out....some you should see a professional for. ..a few minutes under steam and some disincrustation fluid and most of those babies should slide right out.

hmm...i hope you are right. i did not actually use ACV and mandelic acid at the same time. I've been using just mandelic acid for the past week, with baking soda as exfoliator occasionally.

Blackhead treatment is terrible. The real problem lies in not white heads, blackheads or greasy skin. It should be classified as acne themselves. Blackhead cleanser are totally fake and should not be used. Use a normal acne wash.

The reason many things are classified for 'blackheads' is because they usually contain salicylic acid which has the ability to penetrate the pore needed for the particular problem of blkhds. Not all acne washes contain this...some have bp others are glycolic, neither are as effective for blackheads.

I just started using a SA treatment recently and its bringing out all the crap that was manifesting under my skin...it looks worse than usual right now BUT you can tell its bringing it to the surface rather than just causing breakouts from irritation. Five days is kind ofa short period of time, I'd give it two weeks and then draw conclusions from there. Thats my plan :dance:

i am tempted to say that's what's happening, but my blackheads look the same as ever (pinhead-sized little black dots). but i can tell that underneath the immediate first layer of skin on my nose are random small reddish blotches. the skin itself isn't bumping or rashy, and the red blotches are not extremely noticeable, but i don't think that is a sign of crap coming up, right?

Sounds sensitized. I'm tellin' you...see a pro and they'll be able to get a ton out....without prolonged use of stuff that irritates.