Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bugmenot

Starting month 6 -- Still breaking out?!

I just finished my 5th month of Accutane. I went from 40mg to 60mg, and now for the past month I've been on 80mg. I am a girl, and I weigh 132lbs.

The problem is, my acne is not gone. I don't get the really big cystic stuff anymore, but I'm still breaking out. Right now I have three active breakouts, one that's starting to go away, one that's been there for a while now, and one that appeared yesterday. The rest of my face is covered with a lot of scars that have yet to fade.

I see my derm next week, but the past months every time I go to him, he's like, "Hmm. You aren't where we want you yet." and he ups my dose.

Does Accutane just not work for me? I expected it to be a miracle like everyone here says it is, and I could not feel worse right now. I'm never going to have clear skin :(

Did this happen to anyone else?

I just finished my 5th month of Accutane. I went from 40mg to 60mg, and now for the past month I've been on 80mg. I am a girl, and I weigh 132lbs.

The problem is, my acne is not gone. I don't get the really big cystic stuff anymore, but I'm still breaking out. Right now I have three active breakouts, one that's starting to go away, one that's been there for a while now, and one that appeared yesterday. The rest of my face is covered with a lot of scars that have yet to fade.

I see my derm next week, but the past months every time I go to him, he's like, "Hmm. You aren't where we want you yet." and he ups my dose.

Does Accutane just not work for me? I expected it to be a miracle like everyone here says it is, and I could not feel worse right now. I'm never going to have clear skin :(

Hey,

Ya i too have taken Acccutane for just over 5 months now and pretty much no improvement. Ive broken out in places that i never have before (like on my jaw line). My derm still wont up my dosage passed 40mg /80mg alternating daily.

I actually just started Dan Kerns regime about 2 weeks ago to see if that will help.....Right now im in that stupid initial breakout phase soooo not to happy :wall:

Hey,

Ya i too have taken Acccutane for just over 5 months now and pretty much no improvement. Ive broken out in places that i never have before (like on my jaw line). My derm still wont up my dosage passed 40mg /80mg alternating daily.

I actually just started Dan Kerns regime about 2 weeks ago to see if that will help.....Right now im in that stupid initial breakout phase soooo not to happy :wall:

well, i have a derm appt tomorrow afternoon. i'll see what he says. i currently have a big zit on my chin--it sucks.

Yea, the first week that I was doin the DK + Accutane my face was extremely red....but the redness has subsided (mostly) and yes it is a lot more dry then it was when I was only taking Accutane

I'll let ya know how it goes after this week (hopefully breakouts stop :wacko: )

As far as me, no this didn't happen. But I do know people on this site who literally continued to break out through the end of the course, and then after the course was finished they cleared up. Remember, accutane stays in your system for months after taking the drug, and it will continue to work. Don't give up hope just yet! It sounds like your cumulative dose is going to be more than enough. Don't worry about it!

And the red marks? I'm still getting rid of some 8 months post tane. It takes a long time for the marks to heal. 100% aloe vera gel helps a LOT (I was amazed).

your acne may have a horomonal component, try diane 35, ive ony been on it for a month so far and i didnt break out on my period like i normally do, im the middle fo my 4th month of accutane now and i noticed a major difference after a few weeks on diane although it normally takes 6mths-12mths to see a difference from the diane. although accutane regualtes the follicular cells and sebacious glands, horomonal fluctuatons/imbalances can still stimulate excess oil production and improper follicular function while the accutane hasn't yet finished doing its job. either spironolactone or diane 35 (both of which are androgen blockers) can help with this. hope this helps, hang in there!!

your acne may have a horomonal component, try diane 35, ive ony been on it for a month so far and i didnt break out on my period like i normally do, im the middle fo my 4th month of accutane now and i noticed a major difference after a few weeks on diane although it normally takes 6mths-12mths to see a difference from the diane. although accutane regualtes the follicular cells and sebacious glands, horomonal fluctuatons/imbalances can still stimulate excess oil production and improper follicular function while the accutane hasn't yet finished doing its job. either spironolactone or diane 35 (both of which are androgen blockers) can help with this. hope this helps, hang in there!!

To get BCP you have to get a prescription from a physician. They're not hard to get. It is about $50 a month though. (I'm using Yasmin for ovarian cysts).

Bugmenot-

When I started my 6th month I was still breaking out too - my derm said the EXACT same thing "you aren't where we want you to be..." so I continued through the 6th month and broke out. So when the 7th month came around, and I was still breaking out, I continued with accutane. Then the 8th month came and I was still getting pimples here and there. And now here I am 5 days away from finishing 8 months of accutane...my skin has been perfectly clear for about 2 weeks!

So sometimes it just takes other people (us!!) longer than others to clear. Keep pushing your derm for extra months if necessary. I was hesistant at first but then I thought I'd rather have clear clear skin then just stop with semi-clear skin. Plus, you continue to clear up AFTER you finish your course! So after I finish in 5 days I will still continue clearing! Excellent!

Hope this helps...I know I was SUPER frustrated at month 6 seeing everyone else having amazing results and I was still stuck in breakout-land. So try and keep your chin up!!!!

Kristen

Bugmenot-

When I started my 6th month I was still breaking out too - my derm said the EXACT same thing "you aren't where we want you to be..." so I continued through the 6th month and broke out. So when the 7th month came around, and I was still breaking out, I continued with accutane. Then the 8th month came and I was still getting pimples here and there. And now here I am 5 days away from finishing 8 months of accutane...my skin has been perfectly clear for about 2 weeks!

So sometimes it just takes other people (us!!) longer than others to clear. Keep pushing your derm for extra months if necessary. I was hesistant at first but then I thought I'd rather have clear clear skin then just stop with semi-clear skin. Plus, you continue to clear up AFTER you finish your course! So after I finish in 5 days I will still continue clearing! Excellent!

Hope this helps...I know I was SUPER frustrated at month 6 seeing everyone else having amazing results and I was still stuck in breakout-land. So try and keep your chin up!!!!

Kristen