Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jordan-610

Is this a high dose or normal?

Hey, I'm a 145lb male and my doc prescribed me to take 80mg of accutane a day. I was just wondering if this seems high for my body weight or normal, thanks.

It's a little high, yes, especially for your body weight. Especially at the beginning of a course. Most people start lower and up the dose throughout the course. It's a cumulative course and the end-result should be a total of 120 mg accutane per kg of your body weight. You should know that because you are starting at such a high dose your side effects are going to be a little more extreme, so be prepared.

However, I have heard of docs prescribing up to 120 mg a day, and that seems insane to me. I was about 115 lbs during accutane and I took 40 mg a day for 5 months.

Good luck!

it sounds normal to me, slightly higher than 1mg/kg, but it's not really high or anything.

Hey, I'm a 145lb male and my doc prescribed me to take 80mg of accutane a day. I was just wondering if this seems high for my body weight or normal, thanks.

It's a little high, yes, especially for your body weight. Especially at the beginning of a course. Most people start lower and up the dose throughout the course. It's a cumulative course and the end-result should be a total of 1 mg accutane per kg of your body weight. You should know that because you are starting at such a high dose your side effects are going to be a little more extreme, so be prepared.

However, I have heard of docs prescribing up to 120 mg a day, and that seems insane to me. I was about 115 lbs during accutane and I took 40 mg a day for 5 months.

Good luck!

Haha you're right, I had just woken up when I wrote that. It's actually 120 mg/kg. So neither of us were right on the first try :)

Hey, thanks for all the replies. I just got my pills today and since they come in 40 mg a pill I think I may just start off the first week or two on 40 mg and then bump my dosage up to 80mg so i can ease into the side effects.

No, that's not high. I'm the same weight and my doctor prescribed the same amount. Just be thankful your derm isn't a complete pussy who doesn't trust science. A lot of people haven't our luck, so they get stuck with lower doses which are FAR more likely to result in a relapse. Read the studies. Take all your medicine.

Wouldn't we need to know how long you were going to take it to find your cumulative dosage? Say if you were going to take it for 20 weeks (5 months) then your dosage would be around 170mg/kg. Or if you were going to take it for 12 weeks (3 months) then your dosage would be 100mg/kg. It depends how long you're taking it, I suppose.

Also, is 160mg/kg too high?

I am on 80mg and that is fine, at the end of the day, the dosage does depend on your weight but also the severity ofyour acne problem.

I have minimal side effects with 80mg and I had my major breakout in week 2.

I would listen to your doctor and take what is prescribed.

Good Luck x

But the only thing bad about that would be an increased chance or increased intensity of side effects, right? It wouldn't make my acne worse or anything in the long run, would it?

Well bugger if what ur saying is true then it seems im on a kinda low starting dose. My acne kinda bad tho not severe (got some pics in gallery) and i weigh 90kg (200 lbs) but im only on 40mg/day as starting dose. Have to hope my derm bumps up dosage next month.

But the only thing bad about that would be an increased chance or increased intensity of side effects, right? It wouldn't make my acne worse or anything in the long run, would it?