Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ugh. It's been a long time since I've looked in the mirror and felt this bad about the way I look. The reason I'm frustrated is because about a month ago (Feb. 1st), I made a lifestyle change to improve my acne.

I changed up my diet - cut out caffine completely (I used to have coffee everyday and a can of Coke now and again), drastically reduced my sugar intake, and am now getting the recommended servings for fruit, and almost the same amount for vegetables. I'm drinking plenty of water and I mean PLENTY. I was already fairly active, I play indoor hockey, but I decided to ramp it up. On top of hockey, I started running on the treadmill 3-4 times a week for thirty minutes. I also had a terrible, terrible problem with leaving my acne alone. I would pop every single pimple and extract all my blackheads. I managed to stop that 99%. In this month, I've popped only two pimples out of the 293471241624 ones I got and have left all my blackheads alone.

As for actual skin care.. for the longest time, the only thing I used was salicylic acid wipes twice a day. Suffices to say that it did very little. I stopped that and decided to try using no products for awhile, just showers and moisturizing body wash. The acne got worse. So about a month ago, I added a cleanser, BP (although in bar form), and a moisturizer with AHA.

So, after all these changes and a month later, the result: my face looks worse today than it did a month ago. BP has done a decent job with my cheeks which is where most of my bad acne was before although there's about four VERY noticeable red marks left over from a bad breakout about two weeks ago. So my cheeks have improved but pretty much everywhese else has got much worse. Especially my forehead which was mostly clear before. It's broken out badly since I started this regimen and right now there's two active pimples and about a dozen marks there. The moustache area (never knew what that area of the face is called) is also particularly bad. It was mostly clear before but now there's one small active pimple and three really noticeable marks and then a bunch of smaller ones. Possibly more annoying then all the marks I have now is the dryness and redness from BP. The redness is subsiding but the dryness is getting worse. The bottom half of my face is flaking badly. The AHA moisturizer is helping but not enough.

So yes.. I'm very frustrated. After making completely lifestyle/skin care changes to improve myself, I didn't expect to look worse than before. That pisses me off more than anything. Fuck, if I looked the same I probably wouldn't even complain. I decided I'll stick with this for another month, but if I still look like shit, I'm dropping BP for sure.

I'm also considering adding 30-50mg of zinc to my diet but I don't know, with the current trend of things, I'll probably just end up looking even worse.

I think it may take longer than a month to see a lot of reults. It took about 3 months of doing my routine because I say a drastic improvement.

Have you considered doing Dans Regimen?

Have you seen a Dermatologist?

I think it's great you made diet/lifestyle changes but that isn;t a way to help acne for everyone. I eat whatever I want and and not real strict about exercise and it's never effected my skin. Stress or lack of sleep don't effect it either..

Do you sleep enough? Are you always stressed out? What about dairy? Maybe people contribute their skin problems to dairy.

Look into Borage oil and Lecithin.

I'd consider Dan's regimen but I really don't like what BP is doing to my skin. The excessive dryness is almost as annoying as the acne breakouts. I haven't seen a dermatologist yet. I'd say my acne is mostly mild and looks moderate during bad breakouts (I get maybe two bad breakouts a month). That doesn't mean I can't see a derm but I figure my acne problem isn't bad enough to warrent paying for consultations etc. As for sleep, I'm a university student so sometimes it's tough, especially during midterm/exam time. I usually average seven hours of sleep though which isn't too bad..

I get the same feeling. I've been eating 'healthy' and drinking three litres of water EVERY day since 2003 and still get acne around my face.

It seems that at the gym and in life I'm the only one with acne

I definitely know that feeling. Especially about 2 years ago....things just got worse...worse and worse!! Then, Dan's regimen helped a lot, Accutane stopped me from getting new breakouts, and now I'm sorting out the battlefield that is my face.

Lifestyle changes don't help everyone unfortunately. You can be perfectly healthy and have acne.

yep, Accutane was my saviour aswell. My face doesn't seem to tolerate topicals at all so I just tried to work from the inside and go to the extreme of Accutane, it stopped everything from messing around with cleansers/creams/gels and just simply cleansing and moisturising.