Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone! I have been visiting this board on and off for a while, and decided share...

I think this is a great place for all of us acne/scar sufferers to come...a safe place where there is TRUE understanding based upon living this "war."

I am 34, and a suffered with cystic acne for 17 years. As you can imagine, I have tried everything, as I am sure most of you have. I FINALLY, 3 years ago, beat this dreadful disease. It took a fourth and final course of Accutane and mega-doses of B5 (which I continue to take) to finally kill this "beast" within me. I get an occasional pimple, but maybe one every three or four months. I cant say enough about B5..I feel this has been the key for me since Accutane only worked temporarily in the past. It has also kept sebum production to a minimum.

So, now I am left with dealing with the scars. I have been trying to improve my skin over the past three years earnestly. I mostly have rolling scars, on my cheeks, and a few on my chin. I have improved them perhaps 30 percent in 3 years time.

I see arguably the best cosmetic dermatologist in my area. I started with 12 sessions of microdermabrasion. It helped minimally. I don't really recommend it for deep scars. Shallow: perhaps. Note: if you are going to pay for this procedure, make sure the derm knows to use the acne scarring tip, and that he produces "blood points" during the procedure on the scars. I saw some improvement with my very shallow scars with this.

Next I tried two sessions Cooltouch 1. Waste of time and money. Then Colltouch two. Waste again. Then NLite. More waste. I am sorry, but these had NO effect on my scars. In fact, it seemd to make one scar, in particular, worse. I think these lasers offer false hope for acne scar sufferers.

I am getting increasing discouraged and frustrated....and depressed....

So....I tried something else....this same derm, proformed a subsicion on my largest scar. We only tried one as a "test" thank God. Without going into all the horrid details, it did NOT work. He was fairly aggresive to try to release the scar, and when this thing finally healed after a month, I eneded up with my FIRST ice pick scar. Great, hugh? I blame myself for this because my derm is an expert at lasers...not subsicion.

I recently went back to my derm for a Thermage consult. He told me to wait for Artecoll...that that would be the best thing in his opinion for my scarring. He then gave me the number of a collegue of his in Canada that has been doing Artecoll injection for quite a while. He also does Restylane. I have an appointment with him in January.

For me the Co2 is out of the question...or any other ablative laser for that matter. They rarely produce good results and often leave the person worse off. WAY to many horror stories. Instinctively, I don't think lasers which burn of the top layers of skin will produce satisfactory results for deep scars, and are worth the risk. The origion of the scar is MUCH deeper then they laser can penetrate. I feel MUCH better non-ablative lasers, which have the ability to penetrate deeper, to the source, need to be developed. Perhaps they will.

For now, I am hoping for the best with Artecoll. I will have the derm treat ONE scar, and see how it goes.

I do think one day, in the next few years, we will have something which will REALLY help us all....I keep praying....

Thanks for listening....and God bless. I do use topicals, which I think do help some...I will post my regimin another time.

Sam

ps Maya...you rock...such a caring, compassionalte individual...

Hi Turi,

Thank you so much for sharing. I really admire you for going into such detail for everyone.

I have to agree with you that I don't think really invasive procedures are worth the risk particularly as I believe that we are on the verge of some real breakthroughs. Too bad the doctors have to PRACTICE medicine on us in the mean time. I admire your perserverance. Please keep posting your experiences.

And, I agree, Maya does ROCK!

My best!

Anna

Hi,

I did get an Artecoll treatment from one of the Doctors in the FDA study, here in San Francisco. Artecoll will not work on acne scars. I have only moderate saucer shaped scars, not too deep, and it did zero for them. And this derm is considered one of the best in the country. He was upfront with me that artecoll was more for wrinkles.

James

Hey HealthySkeptic,

Thank you for the reply. I have been told differently by two dermatologists. The Canadian doctor I am going to see says he has treated many acne scars successfully. The Artecoll must be injected correctly and "built up" over time with several injections. It's not a one time fix. Thank you for the warning though...I am skeptical of ALL treatments now, after what I have been through. I am curious though - Why would a derm who says that Artecoll is only good for wrinkles go ahead and treat you with it for scarring?

Take care,

Turi