Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all, new here found this website while researching to combat my acne. I would just like to say great site really glad i found it.

Anyways a lil background on myself and well my acne condition. I am currently 22 yrs old (guess i have not outgrown my acne ... :( ...) and have been suffering from acne since i was 16. Initially i used over the counter treatments and with minimal success, well to cut a long story short i only seek a help of a dermatologist at 20 when my acne got worse (got it on the back, chest, neck and chin area). At the time i did not know about Isoretinoin and was reluctant to go for long term antibiotics treatment which was my 1st derms initially suggestion, so he placed me on Isoretinoin (Orantane manufactured by Douglas Pharmaceuticals). I was placed at a 20mg dose for 10 months. I found out later that the optimal dose was usually 1mg/kg/day which should calculate to about 40mg a day for me. Also Isoretinoin is usually taken for 5~6 months whilst i was on it for 10 months (at 20mg/day). Anyone ever taken Isoretinoin at such a dose? Would like to hear your results :).

Well after the 10 months it cleared up my acne 100% (I was actually cleared by the fourth month). While on Isotretinoin I suffered from 2 sideeffects chapped lips and backaches. I get these backaches most morning (after a nights rest or unrest in my case) and they are usually gone a 1/2 hour after waking up. In that sense i am not too sure these were indeed side effect of Isoretinoin since there are also morning which i woke up with no aches. Has anyone encounter such a side effect? Pls let me know, thks.

After my first course i was clear up until 2 months ago (1 year +) when i started having breakouts again. They started on my chin (small acnes) and soon developed into cystic acne on my chin and neck. But surprisingly i did not get acne on my back and chest this time. I had to find a new derm as i have moved and was placed on anitbiotics for 2 weeks Vibramycin (1st week) and Mynocyline (2nd week) to bring down the inflammation. After the two week on antibiotics the acne on my chin and neck got somewhat better and i was placed on Isotretinoin again at 20mg/day. I would not call this a 2nd course as the initial plan of my new derm was to put me on it until my acne clears but was later given the option to take a 2nd course at 40mg/day (Since my blood test and X-rays were good). I have been on Isoretinoin ('2nd course') for 1 month and 3 weeks now (20mg daily) and is slowly clearing up my acne.

Sorry for the long history and stuff (haha i just noticed) anyways I would just like to know:

1) anyone taken a dose similar to the one i taken during my 1st course on Isoretinoin?

2) anyone suffer from similar backaches that i had (either Pre-Isoretinoin or Post Isoretinoin)?

3) also for those of you seeing a derm could you ask if it is safe to take Isoretinoin 'only when required' (meaning only till your acne clears) instead of taking the usual 1mg/kg/day for 5~6 months dosage?

4) also how many courses of Isoretinoin is safe? FYI from an online testimonial the max i have heard is 7, which is pretty scary.

It would be great if anyone can help answer some of my questions.

Anyway I am glad i found a site that i can 'talk' and share with people who understands what i am going through. Reading through the comments posted on this site i think most people here are really nice and extremely supportive (or was all the nasty comments screened out? ... i hope not). Anyways my first impression of this site is that it is great and I wish everyone the best in their battles with this often cruel and unfair diesease .... ACNE.

Sorry for the long history and stuff (haha i just noticed) anyways I would just like to know:

1) anyone taken a dose similar to the one i taken during my 1st course on Isoretinoin?

2) anyone suffer from similar backaches that i had (either Pre-Isoretinoin or Post Isoretinoin)?

3) also for those of you seeing a derm could you ask if it is safe to take Isoretinoin 'only when required' (meaning only till your acne clears) instead of taking the usual 1mg/kg/day for 5~6 months dosage?

4) also how many courses of Isoretinoin is safe? FYI from an online testimonial the max i have heard is 7, which is pretty scary.

1. Im thinking about trying that type of course now. I have used accutane 2.5 times already.

2. Now that I think of it, yes I had some backaches, but they coudl of been from sports, I dont know.

3. Question 3 isnt a good question, you dont want to take just enough accutane, you want accutane to completely destroy your insides so that acne never comes back. If you only do enough to get clear, the acne will surely come back when u get off it.

4. Being permanently on Accutane is probably "safe". Some consider even one course not "safe". Some people consider driving on a highway not "safe". "Safe" is relative.

4) I am just tryng to judge whether it is worth going on a 2nd course of Isoretinoin. I don't see a point getting rid of something (acne) just to suffer from something else, which could turn out to be worse than acne *knocks on wood*.

I have been on 4 Accutane courses and cleared completely and quickly during each course. The acne came back (each time at a lesser degree) 2 months after the courses were over. I continue to have regular blood work done (I am a type 1 diabetic) and my triglycerides and liver are perfect. During the last course I did have backaches in the evening but they went away when the course was over. All in all I do not regret going on Accutane 4 times. I never scarred and I believe that was due to Accutane. I just wish the positive effect from the drug was permanent for me.

I have been on 4 Accutane courses and cleared completely and quickly during each course. The acne came back (each time at a lesser degree) 2 months after the courses were over. I continue to have regular blood work done (I am a type 1 diabetic) and my triglycerides and liver are perfect. During the last course I did have backaches in the evening but they went away when the course was over. All in all I do not regret going on Accutane 4 times. I never scarred and I believe that was due to Accutane. I just wish the positive effect from the drug was permanent for me.

Thank you for the kind words. I strongly suggest a 2nd course and hope that will be it for you. Eating healthier can't hurt. I can't speak for going vegetarian. There is nothing wrong with a lean cut of beef, chicken breasts, or some savory seafood. (Due to my diabetes I try to eat low carb.) I take 25mg of Zinc/day...Perque Energized Double Zinc Guard which I bought at Medicap Pharmacy. Good luck and keep us posted.

hey all thanks for the replies. BTW I just started my accutane log in the 'accutane log' section (duh lol). Would be gald if you guys can have a look at it and input any comments if you have any. Well i feel better knowing that i am not the only person cursed with a relapse. Feeling better and more confident going into my second (and hopefully last) course of accutane. Thks again and all the best. Bye