Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hoping777

I had Restalyne March 2

Oh, how I hate these scars. I had Restalyn (my first time using a filler) on March 2 at 12pm EST USA.

THE PROCEDURE/COST

I have quite a few (maybe 25-30) saucer shaped "contour" scars primarily on both cheeks. A few on my right cheek are the size of a pencil eraser. The remainder are much smaller but close together. If I had any one of them you wouldn't probably notice; however, as a group it gives my skin a horribly uneven appearance. My dermatological surgeon used the entire .4 ml syringe and we both agreed I could have used the 1 ml syringe. At that point, I wanted to see the results before investing any more $. The cost was $370 US. I was in the chair less than 20 minutes.

THE PAIN

It was mildly uncomfortable. I used no lidocaine (a topical anesthesia) though they suggested it on the pre-procedure sheet and I could have purchased it at their office or any drug store. As someone who has had more cortisone injections than I can count I didn't think I'd need it and I didn't. (As an aside, I would like to mention that I never picked at my acne and only developed scarring after a lot of cortisone shots--something for others to think about) I did take 2 Tylenol 1 hour prior. (Note: You can't take any other sort of pain med (Ibuprofin, aspirin, etc.) prior)

THE DRIVE HOME

Driving home my face was very red and I had red pin-prick blood marks everywhere. For someone who hasn't left the house without make-up for years that may have been the worst part of anything. :boohoo: Between the scars, the redness and the pin-prick blood marks it looked like I just went through a windshield as I calmly walked through the hospital to my car. I did get some stares but figured if it worked it will have been worth it. Lightly running my fingers over my cheeks I noticed a lot of small bumps and was a bit concerned wondering if she had over-corrected. Having read a lot on this site, I also knew it may just take time for them to calm down.

DAY 1

I was told to ice for 15 minutes every couple hours to reduce swelling as well as bruising and I did. One bruise did develop anyway. Pretty large, the size of 3/4 of a standard kitchen spoon. No other marks. I had no discomfort but my face felt a little swollen all over. Looking in the mirror I could hardly see any scars but was still concerned about the tiny bumps I could see and feel.

DAY 2

Day 2 has arrived and I'm a bit disappointed. Some of the scars have re-surfaced. The bumps have gone down to surface level but you still feel them under the skin. I'm supposed to go back in two weeks for a check and she indicated I could get touch-up then. Not sure I'm ready to spend another $370 for a new vial if these are the results. It's only been two days so I'll reserve final judgement for a bit. I now wish to research Cosmoderm very seriously. Unbelievably, while sitting in the waiting room I read an article that Cosmoderm provides a much more natural appearance without bumps and lumps but my derm doesn't do it. The Cosmoderm web site lists a Plastic Surgeon right down the street who does so, I'll be doing a lot of reading the next few days.

Thank you SO much to everyone on this web site. This is the most awesome resource of any. Some have commented that they don't trust what they read on here because they had different results. The bottom line is that there are a LOT of variables and that has to be considered in the final analysis: Date the procedure was done (technology is always changing), experience level of the doctor, condition of the patient's skin as compared to your own, inate skin quality and healing quality of the patient and opposed to yourself, following the after-care recommendations of the Dr. to the letter, lifestyle (smoking, drinking, etc.) You read a lot, you take it all in and you make a decision for yourself. Everyone on this site is a hero to me. Thank you and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the report. How long till you can expect to see the final results? The only injectable I've ever had was botox once (for my scowl lines). I know it took a couple of days to kick in. And restylane last a couple on months,right? If it works, it might not be a bad thing, considering how much people shell out for lasers etc. Even if you go every four months it'll be less than $1000. I've spent that much over the course of a year on microderms and products - without any real results. Give it a chance, and don't forget to update us!

thanks for this account, hoping. i have been seriously considering taking this step within the next couple weeks and it's very helpful. as for your improvement, i hope if you chose to go ahead with the touch-up that it helps bring them up a little better for you. did you consider juvederm as well?

thanks for this account, hoping. i have been seriously considering taking this step within the next couple weeks and it's very helpful. as for your improvement, i hope if you chose to go ahead with the touch-up that it helps bring them up a little better for you. did you consider juvederm as well?

UPDATE: DAY 4

Hmmm. Still not sure. Perhaps my expectations were too high. The right cheek was worse to start with pre-filler. I would say there is 50% improvement. The indents aren't as deep but they are there again (they initially weren't due to the general swelling of the facial tissue.) I also still have the bruise on the right cheek. It has gotten about 50% smaller but is still a deep plum color. The left check would look pretty good though some small scars are still noticable but that cheek has 3 bumps the size of a pebble under the skin that are very, very noticeable.

I just asked my nearly 20 year old daughter and her girlfriend for their frank assessment and they pretty much said everything I just said. Wanted an eye other than my hypercritical one.

Overall I guess it was worth it but I think better results could be achieved. I'll do my two-week check up with her but, again, since I used up the entire .4 ml syringe I doubt I will buy another from her. Rather, since I had a derm do this one, I am going to have a consutlation with a plastic surgeon and get his thoughts on the next try. Possibly with Cosmoderm but I'm still reading up on that. I haven't considered juvederm but will plan to read up on it as well. There really aren't any derms or PS's in our area that seem to specialize in acne scars. All their web sites reference everything but acne scarring so, I don't know if a Dr. that specializes in acne scars may have a better hand at filling them. Having gone through this I am convinced the results have a lot to do with the skill and experience level of who is filling them.

For the record, my derm considered my "contour" scars shallow but she didn't specify beyond that. She simply said that when she pulled the skin the indent wasn't noticeable and that is why she thought I could achieve very good results from the Restalyn.

Also, I did have a series of five pulsed light photofacials in 2005. I'd never heard of Fraxel then and we still only have one Dr. I can find who is 60 miles away who does Fraxel. I got zero results from the photofacials and don't recommend them for acne scars. I was told it would improve the overall texture of my skin and make the acne scars appear somewhat better as a result. I seriously did not notice one difference from the photofacials and that bill was $1600.00. Further, the discomfort was higher. Understand that the overall texture of my skin, especially for a 40 year old, was extremely, extremely good (other than the scars of course!!) to begin with. I have zero wrinkles and no brown spots or anything. Guess my preference for the indoors paid off in some way.

Bottom line 4 days post: I think you would all agree that 50% improvement is better than no improvement and the downside (the pebbles that I guess and hope she can correct and the bruise) was minimal by comparison. The cost was low compared to other techniques. The downtime practically nil. The pain (to me) was extremely minimal and certainly bearable. I'll almost certainly do another filler unless I drum up the courage and money for Fraxel. Good luck, everyone!

cool. 50% improvement seems great. Keep checking things out & maybe 50 leads to 75%. Great Luck.

ChrissyC: Sorry for not responding to your specific questions until now. 1. I don't know how long it takes to see the "final" results. I'm assuming 2 weeks must be pretty close since that is when the derm. scheduled my follow-up to see if I needed touch-up but that's an assumption on my part. 2. My derm told me the filler will slowly and eventually diminish. She also said that it is purported to last 3-6 months in wrinkles but that my results could very well last longer for this reason: you get a wrinkle because that area of the skin is moved frequently. My scars are high on my cheeks which aren't moved as often hence, the results could potentially last longer. (I'd gladly switch to only smiling on the inside if it meant no scars!! :|) Finally, logic tells me everyone's individual rate of re-absorption probably varies just as one's metabolic rate varies from others but I'm NOT a dr. so, what do I know. I promise to post to let you know how long it lasts and any other future updates.