Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JulietteR

Another question for Wolfy!

Wolfy,

I've been using my Verilux Red/Blue Light lamp consistently (20 to 30 min. every day) for almost two weeks now, but I am experiencing something that didn't happen with my previous treatment. I have several large nodules--three on my forehead, two on my chin, and one on my upper lip, of all places. It's certainly not the first time I've had nodular acne, but I haven't had anything this extreme in a long, long while. I had such a good result with the Verilux before that I would like to chalk it up to coincidence, but deep down I think it's probably related. Do you have any thoughts on this? I found an article that refers to blue light making cystic acne worse, but the article didn't elaborate and I haven't been able to find any more info.

I guess my main question is whether or not I should persevere a while longer? Obviously I've barely even begun treatment, but I'm having horrible visions of being covered in cystic acne (for the millionth time) and then having to deal with the leftover scars. I am so frustrated!!

Juliette

Guest ~Wolfy~

It's always possible to get a reaction beginning any acne treatment; but an initial breakout is not one of the known side-effects so far as I know.

(The really bad IB is what you get from retinoids, and I'll stick my neck out and say that people don't get anything like that from blue/red light therapy.)

I agree Wolfy; I don't think this type of initial break out of cystic acne is normally associated with red/blue light treatment. However, I've pretty much decided that once again, "normal" doesn't apply to me. If somebody's going to have a freaky reaction to something, it's going to be me. I sat in front of the light again last night and woke up with a cyst on my jaw. 7 cysts is enough for me. I quit. Well, at least for a while, so I can try and determine for sure whether it's related. Unfortunately, now it will take WEEKS for the cysts to go away.

I still think red/blue light is a good treatment, everybody. I had good results the first time I tried it. I don't want to discourage anyone from using it. I think what I'm experiencing is very unusual. Sigh. Oh well. I'll try it again after these cysts go away and post back on the results. Thanks so much for your help, Wolfy.

The Beauty Skin manual says, "A worsening of symptons at first is normal and an indication of effectiveness." No further details unfortunately...

Guest ~Wolfy~
I still think red/blue light is a good treatment, everybody. I had good results the first time I tried it. I don't want to discourage anyone from using it. I think what I'm experiencing is very unusual. Sigh. Oh well. I'll try it again after these cysts go away and post back on the results. Thanks so much for your help, Wolfy.

I think that acne is a process that takes at least 6 weeks to build up to (and 3 months to get under control again). My best guess is that (at worst) the light may have precipitated cysts you were going to get soon anyway; or it may well just be a complete coincidence and simply be a reflection of the fact that you noticed your acne getting worse which is why you started using the lamp again.

From the opposite angle- the blue light could help the cysts go back down again by killing some of the bacteria there, and the red light speeds repair. Additionally by using the light now you are helping to head off future problems.

But you need to do whatever looks sensible to you.

Darn you Wolfy, you sound just like my husband!! All calm and logical. :) True, I did start using the light again because my acne was getting worse, so you're right--it's possible these cysts were going to happen anyway. But man, it's SO hard to have this many deep cysts at one time. Literally. One of the ones on my chin feels like a rock under my skin. I should go for some cortisone shots, but I honestly don't think I can muster up the energy. I'm in the whole everything-is-pointless-because-it's-just-going-to-come back phase. But I'll rally after a few days and probably drag the light out again.

And I was so smug, thinking I'd finally figured out my skin. Just when I think I've solved the problem, it finds another way to throw me for a loop. I know probably everyone on these boards can identify.