Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ridacne

Drinking and Accutane

is it bad to drink and take accutane? i remember once when my doctor called me and told my that my liver enzymes were too high because i was drinking. i hadnt touched a drop of alcohol though so i was suprised at what she was telling me. also, what are the effects if you do drink while taking accutane?

If your liver enzymes are already high, I would say flat out, no drinking. Just not a smart decision. The liver is very sensitive while on accutane anyway.... and drinking can permanently damage it. I would recommend against it strongly.

I've never drunk in my life and especially not while on accutane so I couldn't tell you the immediate side effects.

As far as long term side effects, getting drunk can blow out your liver anyway (it just takes once) and I imagine that drinking on accutane has the same effect.

is it bad to drink and take accutane? i remember once when my doctor called me and told my that my liver enzymes were too high because i was drinking. i hadnt touched a drop of alcohol though so i was suprised at what she was telling me. also, what are the effects if you do drink while taking accutane?

Nope, i dont care what your dad is. Getting drunk once won't blow out your liver. That MIGHT, probably not though, happen to one in a billion people.

Sorry, what were your qualifications? My dad has been in practice for over 30 years. He's seen just about everything. And getting drunk just once (with no further alcohol consumption ever) can trigger the need for a liver transplant later in life because it causes liver failure.

"Alcohol abuse can cause cirrhosis of the liver, which is a slowly progressing disease in which healthy liver tissue is replaced with scar tissue, eventually preventing the liver from functioning properly. The scar tissue blocks the flow of blood through the liver and slows the processing of nutrients, hormones, drugs and naturally produced toxins. It also slows the production of proteins and other substances made by the liver." I didn't say that blowing out your liver is immediate - it is after time that it happens. But it only takes once to cause cirrhosis.

It's considered healthy to have 2 drinks a day. The liver heals itself. If you get drunk once you will not need a liver transplant because the liver will heal itself from that one night of drinking. I don't need qualifications to know this, it's common sense. I think your dad is just trying to protect you.

Alcohol abuse can cause cirrhosis of the liver, which is a slowly progressing disease in which healthy liver tissue is replaced with scar tissue, eventually preventing the liver from functioning properly.

Healthy to have 2 drinks a day? According to who? ....no one? Researchers tried to prove for years that it was "healthy" and "good" for your heart. That's never been proven right. Recently studies have shown that in fact, drinking is NOT good for your heart. Drinking 2 drinks a day for a man is considered alcoholism, and for a woman it is twice what is considered for alcoholism.

I'm also a college student who is pre-med, and I have taken anatomy, physiology, and all the pre-med courses. I assure you, it is not that I'm a stupid teenager my dad is trying to keep from drinking. I am an intelligent human who has made my own decisions and done my own research. It has nothing to do with my dad.

The body is not meant to consume alcohol, and that's all there is to it. There is a reasonable amount of alcohol one can consume from which the body can recover. Getting drunk is way beyond the reasonable amount of alcohol a body can tolerate, and it has highly negative effects.

Once again, I said that getting DRUNK once (meaning that the liver can no longer filter out the alcohol because the body is so inundated) causes so much damage that it will be permanent. It will cause cirrhosis. It only takes one time. Getting drunk IS alcohol abuse. Drinking 7 drinks or more per week for a woman or 14 drinks per week for a man is also considered alcohol abuse. But any situation in which the body is pushed beyond its limits and the liver can no longer properly filter the alcohol out of your system is alcohol abuse. Nothing was said about long-term alcohol abuse.

You drink your 2 drinks a day while on accutane, and let me know how cirrhosis and a liver transplant works out for you.

Once again, I said that getting DRUNK once (meaning that the liver can no longer filter out the alcohol because the body is so inundated) causes so much damage that it will be permanent. It will cause cirrhosis.

I just proved it. I defined alcohol abuse and I already told you that alcohol abuse causes cirrhosis. Case closed.

How about this - you're the one who challenged me. How about you find research proving me wrong? Until then we'll assume YOU are wrong. At this point I have 3 years of pre-med courses and a father who is a physician behind me. You still haven't told me what YOUR qualifications are.

No, I didn't say prove YOUR point. I said prove me wrong. I don't have time to type my anatomy book to you.

Again, all of your research states that the amount of alcohol varies from person to person. It also states that A common cause is prolonged drinking.

Bottom line is that drinking on accutane is one of the stupidest things you could do. All the literature on accutane says not to do it, and the fact that accutane stresses your liver beyond what is reasonable reiterates the fact that you should not do it. That was the original question.

Proving my point is proving you wrong. Getting drunk one time will not lead to cirrhosis. Heavy drinking for a prolonged period on the other hand will. Come on find me one link, a single link that proves your point.

Getting highly intoxicated is called "binge drinking." It can cause alcohol poisoning (which takes only one overdose of alcohol). It is considered drinking the weekly "recommended" dose of alcohol in one session.

"Alcohol in the body is processed by your liver. A heavy session places a big strain on this vital organ, and you run an increased risk of a disease called cirrhosis, in which liver cells turn to scar tissue. It may not seem like a big deal now, but if the disease goes too far there is no cure."

"Another serious liver disease is cirrhosis that can develop by exposure to harmful chemicals. However, the most common cause of cirrhosis in this country is drinking too much alcohol. This is better known as alcoholic cirrhosis. Alcoholic cirrhosis causes the cells of the liver to be damaged beyond repair. As liver cells die, scar tissue forms. When this scar tissue builds up, blood can't flow through the liver properly.

Normally, toxins and wastes in the blood get filtered (cleaned) out when blood passes through the liver. If scar tissue keeps blood from flowing normally through the liver, the blood doesn't get filtered. Toxins and wastes can build up in the body. This can lead to mental confusion, agitation, or tremors (shaking). In serious cases it can even lead to coma. Once scarring has progressed, nothing can be done to repair the liver or cure cirrhosis. Treatment is aimed at avoiding further damage to the liver and preventing and treating complications such as bleeding from broken blood vessels. Liver transplantation is the only option."

"The Health Service is facing a binge-drinking timebomb with the number of illnesses caused by alcohol likely to soar over the next decade, medical experts warn.

Cases of cirrhosis - a disease of the liver - have already increased by 900 per cent in those aged under 45 since 1970. " This is because binge-drinking is at a 90-year high according to medical experts.

You were right about the liver healing itself - if drinking is in moderation and stopped early. Binge drinking or getting drunk is not in moderation, and not reversible.

I'm very interested too. I know a single drink can raise liver enzymes, but I didn't know about cirrhosis from one drink.

Hey Val :wub: No, it's not one drink. It's drinking the weekly dose of drinks (7 for women, 14 for men) in a single session.

I didn't say that "heavy drinking" is getting drunk one time. I said that getting drunk one time causes irreversible damage because getting drunk indicates that your liver can no longer process all the alcohol that is being dumped into the body, thus causing damage. Cirrhosis is simply scar tissue, which can be created after a single time of binge drinking. The only cure is a liver transplant, which indicates that the liver is "blown out," or no longer working in the body.

Hmm. Never heard that one but it makes sense. It's just stupid to binge drink, especially on accutane. Your liver is already messed up and constantly in overdrive.

That was the original question, and that's the answer. Getting drunk has life-long effects on the liver because it is the liver that processes the alcohol, and pouring more alcohol than can be processed into the body causes liver damage. :closed:

A heavy session places a big strain on this vital organ, and you run an increased risk of a disease called cirrhosis

Actually someone who has never been drunk and binge drinks for the first time runs a higher risk of alcohol poisoning and brain damage because they have no tolerance. 2/3 a bottle of vodka can give someone alcohol poisoning if they have no experience with alcohol.

Liver problems can result after one time of binge drinking. The problem is there are so few people who are at the end of their lives who binge-drank "back in the day" that research is sketchy. Here in 50 years we'll know a lot more because it is OUR generation that is binge drinking.

The problem is there are so few people who are at the end of their lives who binge-drank "back in the day" that research is sketchy.