Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been reading many different topics on acne.org for several years now...always hoping that my cystic acne would just go away. Well 3 years, too many scars, and a sad social life later, I'm finally ready to get on accutane! It is ONLY b/c of all the positive logs on here, I have finally decided to get on Accutane so thanks to everyone who has posted their experiences. I'm one of those whose life would be 100% different if I had taken this medicine 10 years ago!

You've all read the same old history about different acne...so I guess another one won't kill you!

I am currently 23 and have had moderate acne since 12. For about 8 years, I broke out only on my t-zone...so much so that my forehead is full of scars, my nose is a sea of blackheads. Then several years ago I started breaking out on my once clear cheeks, jawline, and temples. I've tried all the washes, ointments, and anti-biotics you all have with little improvement. There's been some months where my skin is just beautiful, but 90% of the time since my acne started I have pimples. It'll range from 2 cysts-20 pimples....currently I'm on the higher range. I'm female/Asian

I guess that's about it. I'm ready to start this!

heya!!

Gluck... dont worry, your not in this alone!!! it just take a little bit of time and not looking in the mirror that often. all the best!! im going through it again for the 5th time!!! damn!!!

I've been pan-frying foods (gluten-free pancakes with flaxseeds added to the batter, polenta, scallions + anchovies to put on my pasta, etc.) and roasting halves of squash, in very liberal amounts of olive oil.

I have been eating a lot of scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, too. I should learn how to make Fritatas!

I've also been eating organic unsweetened peanut butter on apples and bananas, guacamole on organic tortilla chips, hummus with baby carrots or sliced bell peppers, and fish.

For a drink, I've been making rice milk with Green & Black's organic 100% Cocoa powder, sweetened with Agave nectar.

I will also eat goat millk and goat cheese, and will probably add organic dairy/wheat back to my diet in reasonable amounts since the Accutane should take care of acne and I won't need to worry about those foods. I haven't got proper food allergies, but have read of those foods being linked to acne, so I've been avoiding them for months.

All in all, I barely eat any junk food (once in a while I'll have a few fries if a coworker at my restaurant orders some and offers them to me.. and my pregnant coworker gave me a bite of her chocolate the other day.)

Day 3

Just popped 3rd pill. No side effects yet. I feel like I'm mentally hypersensitive now that I'm on Accutane as far as just paying attention to my body. Omigosh my leg is sore...or omigosh I feel so tired...but it's really nothing.

What's the deal on eating fatty foods while on accutane? I've read on here that you should take it with a fatty meal but I asked my doc and she said it doesn't matter just as long as you take it with a meal. Surprsingly on my first blood test, my cholesterol was high!!! She said it was probably just genetic and I'd still be able to take accutane even if it goes a little higher.

I'm just so impatient for the medicine to kick in! I've been waiting for so long.

The big deal about eating fatty meals is that accutane absorbs better with higher fat amounts... so people sometimes take it with a full glass of WHOLE milk (ew) or with a spoon of olive oil (wtf) or an avacado (ehh)..(all that just does not seem practical to me) However, I just take it with my biggest meal of the day.

For instance, a peanut butter and honey sandwich on wheat bread and a banana. seems like the Tane is absorbing fine for me... my acne is basically gone, i'm just dealing with red marks now and I am just finishing my first month! So don't stress about the food... just eat how you normally eat and take it at dinner or something.

Day 3

Just popped 3rd pill. No side effects yet. I feel like I'm mentally hypersensitive now that I'm on Accutane as far as just paying attention to my body. Omigosh my leg is sore...or omigosh I feel so tired...but it's really nothing.

What's the deal on eating fatty foods while on accutane? I've read on here that you should take it with a fatty meal but I asked my doc and she said it doesn't matter just as long as you take it with a meal. Surprsingly on my first blood test, my cholesterol was high!!! She said it was probably just genetic and I'd still be able to take accutane even if it goes a little higher.

I'm just so impatient for the medicine to kick in! I've been waiting for so long.

Hey, hang in there! I know how it feels to anticipate clear skin after dealing with acne for so long. I was totally obsessed with checking on every little progress & being sensitive to every little side effect the first few weeks. But now I'm on Day 30-something, and I'm just letting it ride itself out. Good luck!

Day 5 and still no side effects. lips are normal, skin is about the same as far as oiliness on face and dryness on the rest of the body.

I got maybe 2 new pimples on my jawline but this is nothing out of the ordinary.

McFly, I looked at your before pics and I can't believe that you're already clear. That's awesome and it's only been a month! I have breakouts like you on the temple region, just more on my jawline and chin.

Week 1: three ginormous cysts on my chin and one on my forehead. Other than that no big change or side effects. Is this my IB?

Week 2

Those ginormous cysts kind of morphed into 10 cysts, some small some huge. Applied some benzyol peroxide and they're pretty much gone by now....I hope that was the IB. No other breakouts, just old ones. Lips slightly dry, eyes slightly dry in the morning, skin slight dry (from bp more than accutane, I think)...I hope my side effects stay mild!! Nothing a ton of aquafor, visine, and lotion and fix.

I am on 40mg's now, but I'm going to cheat a little and take 2 pills a day for the next few days to try to force any IB that's closing in. I have a week off from work and would love to just stay hidden during these breakouts!

Week 2.5

Took 80 mgs the past 4 days and will go back to 40 mg tonight. I find myself needing to carry some vaseline or chapstick EVERYWHERE...at the gym, dinner, school, even in the shower!!! My lips feel ok if I have something on them, but if they get dry for even a couple of minutes, it's kind of unbearable. Dryness is the same...nothing out of the ordinary.

Chin still has 2 pimples, temples have about 5 small ones on each side. Nothing really out of the normal though so I don't know if this is IB or what.

I HAVE ONE QUESTION THOUGH...I am for real confused about the taking Accutane with a fatty meal deal. My doc said since my cholesterol is slightly higher to try to eat healthier but it didn't really matter for most people if the meal is high in fat or not. But most of the posts on here mention taking the pill with a fatty meal. ?!?!

hey! good luck. you're just a little ahead of me, i think. i started on the 15th of march and i'm at 30mg/day. anyway, my derm didn't say anything about a fatty meal, just to eat it with food. i've heard the same stuff as you about the fatty meal, but i also heard somewhere that it's kind of bogus. so i'm not too worried about it. i'd just eat it with dinner or something. i think taking it to an extreme and gorging yourself on peanut butter is kind of silly. your body is going through a lot when you're on this so just concentrate on eating healthy and not shocking your body too much with cholesterol-inducing mcfatty burgers. ;)

Week 3.

Most new cysts on temples gone, new breakouts on chin is clearing up nicely. Nose is kind of a problem. I've had these ingrained blackheads since like the 8th grade and these clogged pores that are just like goosebumps on my skin that are still there. I think it's slowly purging itself though b/c I've got 2 huge cysts (they're like 1.5cm across!!!) so hopefully they'll be gone soon too. So far I feel like my skin is showing slight improvements...maybe 25%?

Side effects are very minimal. Just as long as I am constantly using eye drops and vaseline, it's almost unnoticable.

Week 4!!! Wow, can't beleive it's already end of the month. Skin is continuing to clear up. Most of the big cysts on skin is slowing clearing. Jawline seems to be the next part of my face to break out. Side effects are very minimal. In fact, my lips are not even as dry anymore.

heya...

seem like things are going well... ususally if the 1st 2months are good then... good all the way... so good that is for u... hahah so many good in that sentence aye...

Takecare..

Freedom. Thanks for checking in on me. Yes, I think I'm definitely going through the IB. I just don't think it's that bad b/c my acne, in the past, has been worse! Going for my bloodtest right now...my Cholosterol was high before so I hope it's lower!

Week 5.5 clearing up a little. Chin seems to be the big problem area. 3 big cysts that are slowly clearing up. Okay if you don't have these you won't understand, but I have about 100 of these clogged pore, white stalk thingys that are persistently on my chin. They all come out with a Biore strip but will fill right back in...those have cleared kind of overnight about 90%.

I've had these bumps on one side of my jawline that's been under the surface for I swear 3 years. I can't wait till those clear up....still waiting for that clear,baby smooth, soft skin normal people have.

Week 6, cysts clearing up on chin and nose area. Yay! Just one on my neck (wierd) and a few smaller ones...I don't know if I would call them clogged pores or pimples, but my face is definitely clearer. I hope it's just uphill from now on.

Now that I'm on 60mg, it's recommended to take two 30 mg's seperately. I end up skipping some pills b/c I don't eat lunch or I just don't have time! Is it ok to take both for dinner?

Week 7, chin clearing up nicely, nose clearing up nicely. The first 5 weeks on accutane I had at least 2-6 huge cysts (like 1cm diameter), and this is the first week I haven't had any. I had my first one on my neck though. hmmmm.... I can't say my acne has gotten better since pre-accutane though. I think it feels like it is just b/c my IB breakouts are clearing. I still have little ones on my temples and jaw that are those persistent ones.

My skin is not that dry and flaky as I've heard it should be at this time. What do you guys think that means?

Week 8, no more cysts!!! First week without too many breakouts. My jawline still has bumps that are waiting to breakout and just a few tiny pimples around my face. That's it!

Week9, just saw my doctor. Start of my 3rd month. Upped to 80 mg/day. Bumps on jawline still there. One pimple on the middle of my forehead flying solo. I swear if I wasn't so use to having breakouts and people seeing me, I would be hiding at home. Eyes extra dry. That's it.