Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lbkgirl

Help! I'm new here...

Hi all! I just started my Accutane treatment yesterday. I am a little nervous, but I am hoping this will be the treatment that takes care of my acne. I have a couple questions that I am hoping someone can answer...

1. Do I need to use an extra strength conditioner on my hair so my scalp doesn't get dry and flaky? If so, what brand works well?

2. My derm said that my scars might look worse before they look better because the skin thins. Does this mean that fine lines and wrinkles will improve too?

3. Any ideas on a good sunscreen? Most that I have tried have been greasy.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Hi all! I just started my Accutane treatment yesterday. I am a little nervous, but I am hoping this will be the treatment that takes care of my acne. I have a couple questions that I am hoping someone can answer...

1. Do I need to use an extra strength conditioner on my hair so my scalp doesn't get dry and flaky? If so, what brand works well?

2. My derm said that my scars might look worse before they look better because the skin thins. Does this mean that fine lines and wrinkles will improve too?

hey im new here too!!!

1. yeah you need to use an extrastrength conditioner, your scalp gets really dry which therefore causes your hair to be very dry (im assuming your a girl). you will have tangled hair when you brush it if you dont use conditioner. any conditioner works fine...actually its better if you use shampoo and a separate conditioner, try to avoid using those mixed shampoo/conditioner solutions....they are terrible.

as for your other questions i have no idea...

I'll try my best to answer the questions from my experience...

1. I find it very hard to find a conditioner that is genuinely moisturizing and not drying. My personal favs are Aussie 3 minute miracle and Pantene Pro-V restoratives, but other suggestions may be more helpful.

2. In my experience, NO. In fact, because your skin may dry out so much, they could possibly be a bit more noticeable if there is any change at all.

3. For the face or body? I liked a Neutrogena moisturizer with spf for the face, but I honestly can't remember what it was called. Other suggestions?

p.s. welcome!!

I use a sunscreen called DDF something-or-other. Can't remember all of it, but it's kind of expensive but really good. It doesn't make my skin feel greasy, but it's got a higher SPF so it actually feels like sunscreen, unlike a lot of moisturizers with SPF.

For the hair, as gross as this sounds I found that washing it every 3 days or so is much better than any conditioner. Your body creates natural oils that are stripped away by shampoos... so if you feel the need, wet your hair daily, condition every other day and wash/condition every 3 days or something like that.

Your skin will likely look worse before it looks better in every aspect. I don't know about wrinkles though, I was 19 when I took it.

For body, I like oil of olay in-shower moisturizer, and for face I got told to use Oil of Olay complete for sensitive skin. It did a good job when I used it (my face was actually SO oily before I started that I almost never needed to use a moisturizer).

Good luck! Check out the "Helpful Tips for Accutane Users" thread or whatever it's called at the top of this forum that I pinned.