Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wondergirl

I'M ON THE VERGE OF STOPPING

sad.gif I've read in the what-to-expect part that there could be an initial worsening of acne during the first few weeks but mine is horrible!!!! The little bumps that used to become cysts in about 2 wks have become inflamed red cysts thats larger in diameter- in just 2 days! Ive been on the regimen a week now but the red pimples that started before I started looks the same if not bigger. The skin on the surface is dry but there is still inflammation underneath. I am so frustrated. Do you think I'm one of the few unlucky ones who wont respond good to BP??????? Help!

Guest Stu :-)

just stick with it wonder girl,

why don't you try that lemon and vinegar thing at the same time. Just an idea, i have to give it ago yet...

oh by way, which is bp?

I would make sure to follow the regimen just as it states. What products are you using?

I would just stick with it for a few more weeks and if nothing gets better, try something different.

Stick with it. Do not experiment at this point. Stick with it for 1-2 months, and be absolutely sure you're following everything to the letter. Initial breakouts are common, and are not a reason to change anything.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.... and Stu, BP- Benzoyl Peroxide. But... my pimples and whiteheads grew large, very red angry cysts after I used BP. I use Cetaphil Cleanser, then Neutrogena 2.5% on the spot cream and Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer. I would say after 6 days on this regimen my acne was at its worst ever!!!! I just could not look at the mirror and not feel depressed. My pimples started coming out just about a year ago... and has gotten worse over the past months. It's just mind boggling because I never had this problem during my teens up to last year. I BET HORMONES IS DOING THIS TO ME. Anyway, I just bought C&C Blackhead clearing scrub today and decided to give my face a break from Benzoyl peroxide ( BP also left my skin dry, peeling and discolored-like grayish in some parts.) I'm planning on starting with C&C products because I figured maybe, its the brand I'm having problems with. Oh, dear.... I'm crossing my fingers .....

yeah it happened tio me too

i got so many whiteheads

but i just stuck to it

it cleared me. but not the scars

I just started a fortnight ago, and my skin was ba-ad for the first week! Like the worst breakout in 6 months. I even thought I could be allergic to the stuff. The BP made the zits that were starting to dissappear before starting the regimen re-appear, and making new ones! I got two huge cysts on my nose, and my skin looked real red and sore.

But, I read the 'what to expect' and promised myself I would stick it for another week or so. And, here I am, 2 weeks later and .....

My skin is completely spot-free!! The cysts cleared with Hydro-cortisone 1% (It stops them from getting any bigger. Then, when they stop being sore to the touch, I used BP to remove the red area). The zits all cleared as quickly as they appeared, and even the scars from past acne is gone now.

Stick in there!! smile.gif

Good for you Backslash!!!!! biggrin.gif/ Can you tell me what products you use? And do you apply the hydrocortisone after cleansing and before putting the BP????? Does Clean & Clear have 2.5% BP product??? Could it be that I'm just not reacting well to Neutrogena??? Anyway, I was supposed to have an appt with a Dermatologist today and they called to reschedule it 2 wks from now!!!!! Oh dear..... depressing.

wondergirl and pimpleman!, the dynamic duo. just stick to it. my face went beastly when i started using all of the acne products and the regimen but it's helluva lot better now. just stick to it. getting worse just shows that your skin is just getting used to it and stuff. after a while it will get used to it, and that's where dan's magic comes in. yea, when i first started using it, i was like "no! i'm allergic to bp!" but like two weeks later it was all good.

ive been using proactiv solution for more than 2 months until last week where my face started to get REALLy itchy. It itches really bad as i continued using it. Then i finally gave it up a couple of days ago. I am so depressed over my acne problem. Is there anything else that i can do?

Its horrible today!!!!! my pimples are LARGE, SORE, SWOLLEN and looks infected!!!! They have grown like larger than pea size with little red white heads above-just in the surface. I tried to pop some of them and yellowish-whitish gunk came out..... but I can tell there's still some stuff left underneath. I experimented last night-placed BP on my rt cheek and just hydrocortisone on the left...... the pimples on my right looked worse than the left. What the heck is this????? I look so damned horrible and I have to put up working tomorrow....

Can anybody tell me about the cortisone injections dermatologists use??? I think I need those....... I just can't bring myself to put any more BP on my skin. sad.gif =D> #-o

Lanlan, I used Proactiv abt 8 months ago ( my acne was not as worse as now) and I got little bump-like rashes all over my face. Stopped using it..... but Id rather have those little bumps than my acne now. ](*,)

i say just take dan's advice and don't experiment. sounds like you panicked at the initial breakout but it's just something you just have to work through. just stick to the regimen for a few weeks and see what kind of results you get. good luck smile.gif

thank you wondergirl. im really allergic to benzoy peroxide. so everything that ive tried recently only contains salicylic acid. but nothing seems to work! this is depressing.

Hey wondergirl, sorry for the lateness of my reply. Since I live in the UK, I used Oxy On-the-spot (2.5%), and Hc45 Hydrocortisone. If it's a big cyst-like spot, then I put on Hydrocortisone 3 times a day until they don't hurt when you touch them. I found BP does nothing for larger spots, unless the swelling goes down first. If you found BP aggravates active spots, use Hydrocortisone only for a few days, until the skin looks relatively calm. Good Luck!! biggrin.gif

Thanks guys for your responses. Anyway, instead of Hydrocortisone, can I use Neosporin??? What do you think Backslash??? I really think my pimples are infected underneath.... Gosh!!!! sad.gif

Lanlan, did you try using Neutrogena Benzoyl Peroxide or just Proactiv????? Isn't this just soooooo depressing....?

wonder girl...ive used both proativ benzoy peroxide and gentle formula that contains salicylic acid. Both eventually sting me really bad. so i gave up. and no i havent used neutrogena BP. i am afraid that it will sting me like other BP products. do you have AIM? it'll be nice to talk to you there.

What is AIM lanlan???, Obviously I don't have it, hehehehe. I know the guys whe encourage me to stick to Dan's regimen mean well, but for now I want to treat my inflamed/infected acne first. =; :-k

wondergirl, i had a similar reaction to BP several years ago. I had a case of mild/moderate acne and went to a dermatologist, who put me on a prescription BP. within a couple weeks, my skin had become horrible, with severe acne. calls to my dermatologist were pointless- he told me to stick to it because an initial breakout is normal. i did stick to it, and my skin became worse. maybe two months later, i went back to the dr, and he was surprised to see how severe my case had become.

i'm not allergic to BP because i use it pretty effectively now. i still don't know why i had such a terrible initial reaction, but i figure it is because all the acne under my skin came up at once.

it was such a painful period in my life. i would recommend going and seeing a dermatologist right away, so you can get antibiotics to help you out. after you get control over your skin, then try the regimen again. that's what i did, and i am much thankful. just my 2 cents. and good luck!

Thanks Christina..... what did you do or what did your dermatologist prescribe with your initial breakout? I was prescribed Retin-A today but I'm almost afraid to start because my doctor said I may have initial redness, tingling and even worsening!!!!