Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Sincerely_Me

Ranting!

Guest Sincerely_Me

I have found that on the whole, I look way better without makeup than I do with makeup. Makeup just doesn't seem to agree with me for some reason...mineral or otherwise. I look VERY cakey, it makes me look older, I don't glow, it is just a horrible, horrible mess. I feel so bare and ugly without it...and I do need it to cover me up. I have no idea what to do now. I mean, obviously stopping make up all together is the way to fix it, but I can't do that at the moment. Maybe switching brands? I ordered AN...have yet to give it a try. I have been using Joppa. Hmm.

I have come to the conclusion that there are people in the world who just can't work the make up!

i've had these same thoughts myself! esp. lately, as my skin's cleared considerably (though not my discoloration as much). Joppa is an odd one... it's like, really good coverage, but at the same time, it IS kinda cakey. i was gonna experiment w/using less of it, or using it differently, but then i got discouraged w/the whole unreliable customer service factor, and just stopped caring. switched to AN.

i still do feel this way at times though. it is sort of inevitable (esp. when a person as as much to cover as some of us do, esp. me) -- you look the most glowy/natural when you're makeup-free. no matter what type/brand of makeup it is, the truth is that NO skin looks totally 100% natural in makeup. the funny reason (contrary to so many of our conceptions of "model skin" and our resultant frustrations/hopes/wishes for ourselves) is that real skin is simply NOT smooth, perfect, flawless, seamless, etc. i went to a MAC makeup tutorial once, taught by Gordon Espinet, one of their Chief Makeup Artists.... afterward i got to talk to him 1 on 1, and he was describing the skin of that model "Iman." he said it was amazing, smooth like velvet. anyway, with very, VERY few exceptions, such as that one, nobody's is. i came to see this particularly after watching that recent Dove ad where the woman goes thru all that crap and the makeup and the hair and the airbrushing and the "slimming," etc. until they deem her fit to appear on the billboard (as an entirely different person :lol:). i just feel like what we see out there is fake. hell, even the stars look fake sometimes. check out Alyssa Milano's face here, and how masky/unnatural it is. i mean, i know it looks smooth and not cakey, but it doesn't look natural:

alyssa_milano.jpg

anyway, i just have my makeup days and my non-makeup days and appreciate the merits of both. :P i mean, many times i really do just love being makeup-free, despite my "imperfections." it feels real. and real feels good. incidentally, i looove jojoba oil. it makes me glow. :D

Guest Sincerely_Me

I know! I think we can all take steps to make are skin visibly smoother, but the make up issue...grrr! Joppa has GREAT coverage, however it IS cakey, and I look like a 25 year old who looks 30. I know, weird way to describe it, but it makes me look old and gross. Even liquid makeup didn't cake like this, but minerals are better for you and have better coverage. I feel like it's a catch 22.

and as for Joppa's unreliable customer service. I ordered a brush from them around 6 months ago - haven't gotten it yet.

I think that some people don;t realize that makeup can look much better if you only cover up the big spots and don't bother with the little ones. Covering up every itty bitty spot just looks caky after awhile.

I know! I think we can all take steps to make are skin visibly smoother, but the make up issue...grrr! Joppa has GREAT coverage, however it IS cakey, and I look like a 25 year old who looks 30. I know, weird way to describe it, but it makes me look old and gross. Even liquid makeup didn't cake like this, but minerals are better for you and have better coverage. I feel like it's a catch 22.

and as for Joppa's unreliable customer service. I ordered a brush from them around 6 months ago - haven't gotten it yet.

yeah.. definitely a catch-22

and im sorry about your brush, that really sucks. a few months ago i had pre-paid an order that i had some questions about before it could be sent out, and for weeks nobody was replying to my emails. i got a little more forceful, and i guess somebody finally read them, b/c i got a notification that i would be refunded AND have the order sent to me free! :shock: indeed i was refunded (thank god), but to this day haven't gotten my "free" package. lol.