Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I was thinking about going on a gluten-free diet, but so far, its been very very very very tough. First off, has anyone seen improvement with their face eating gluten free?

Secondly, part of the reason I'm having such a tough time with it is because I am also a vegetarian. Gluten (wheat, barley, etc) make up a fair amount of my diet. Top it off with the fact that I have been dairy free for about a month too (I'm a vegan now I suppose! Hurray, who needs B-12 anyways!), and its a lot of watching what I eat and limiting my diet alot!

Does anyone think its worth stick with? Thanks guys,

Have you tried the sulfur deficiency cure?

I'm pretty much a vegan (or very close to that) and was thinking about going on the gluten-free diet as well.

Before I take more things out of my diet (there will only be fruit and veggies left, LOL)... I'm going to try to take a Sulfur supplement or try to eat a raw onion (which ever works!)

I started going through all my health foods and noticed that Sulfur isnt in ANYTHING. I was taking a very expensive multivitamin with minerals... and it wasnt even in that.

So I've purchased some sulfur deficiency pills at the grocery store (the pharmacy) and will see how that goes for a week.

btw, acne is one of the major symptoms of a sulfur deficiency.

Hm, I didnt know about that sulfur deficiency, Ill check into that.

But the more I read up about it, the more I think Ill try gluten free. I will literally be down to fruits and veggies, but its not so bad I guess, the college I go to does pretty well with giving fruit/ veggie options...

Another problem I have is that I also like to lift weights, and take protein powder daily. I just switched from Whey to Soy Protein powder because of the no dairy aspect. I just looked at the ingredients of the soy protein powder though, and it has maltodextrin, which has gluten. I can't throw all the stuff I bought out, thats 30 bucks down the drain.

Oh, and beer is not gluten free, so I guess its good I am not a heavy drinker. I also was trying to cut out carbonation from my diet.

So currently, I am on the: no gluten, no dairy, no meat, no artificial sweetners, no pop, no crazy sugars, and no beer diet.

Sheesh, I'm just a kid, I shouldnt be worried about what I eat this much...

Hehehe.

Dont throw out the protein powder. Just keep it for later if the diet doesnt work.

There are gluten free cookies at the store in the health department, and gluten free bread.

Gluten is in the following grains: Wheat, oats, barley and rye.

Yes, definitely maltodextrin, too.

I'm on a diet simalar to yours: No dairy, no meat, no artificial sweetners, no soda, not a lot of sugar, no alcohol, no coffee, no fast food, no artificial colors, nothing too chemicalized... and I try to keep the grains to a minimum.

I'm young too... :)

Hehehe.

Dont throw out the protein powder. Just keep it for later if the diet doesnt work.

There are gluten free cookies at the store in the health department, and gluten free bread.

I'm on a diet simalar to yours: No dairy, no meat, no artificial sweetners, no soda, not a lot of sugar, no alcohol, no coffee, no fast food, no artificial colors, nothing too chemicalized... and I try to keep the grains to a minimum.

wheat-free doesn't mean gluten free.

That is one thing we learned the hard way...

but if it lists its source as corn and potatos, that sounds safe.

I eat at mexican restaurants all the time

I have the chips and salsa as appetizer..

And then I ask for a "plain bean burrito" on lettuce and tomato... and to hold the the wheat burrito. Just have the beans topped with Guacamole (although this can cost extra).

I like the spanish rice, but 50% of the time, it is made with chicken broth. So that is your choice.

I find it tastes very nice. :)

Why are you vegan/vegetarian? Why not eat meat and eggs? Otherwise, of course you're going to have a hard time. Just fruits and vegetables is not healthy.

Hehehe.

Hmmm... I actually found out maltodextrin does not contain gluten, apparently the FDA requires that any maltodextrin produced in the US must be made out of corn/ potatos...good news (it says except medicines/ vitamin supplements, but the container says "forumatled without wheat, yeast, egg or dairy..., so Ill trust it).

I do a bit of shopping at Whole Foods, which has tons of gluten free stuff... the only problem is, I'm a college student, and on a strict budget/ its tough to get to a grocery store. Its tough eating in college cafeteria, I don't know what half the stuff they make the food out of is...

Do you have any other suggestions, maybe that I can find in the cafeteria without hurting my wallet?

Also, side note: I'm going to a mexican restaurant tonight with some friends. Any suggestions for gluten free/ vegan diet? Haha, its so tough, especially eating out! This is gonna be fun... (sarcasm), but I think worth it.

I wouldn't recommend it...seems like your eliminating way too much stuff from your diet. But if thats really how your gonna eat, it would be way easier to balance your omega 3/6 ratio, so thats a plus.

I have been doing the gluten-free thing for the last 11 mo (not strictly at first, more so lately, it's really hard to cut everything out all at once, I view it as a work in progress) and have noticed a huge difference. I went from looking like I had the chicken pox to being completely clear, with occasional breakouts (correlating with periods of increased gluten consumption and monthly hormonal fluctuations).

Here are some things I have learned along the way:

1. Regarding the gluten free diet: realize that this includes rye, barley, oats, and wheat. I would also suggest cutting out yeast. What a lot of people don't realize is that all of these are the key ingredients in VITAMINS!!!! Yep, that's right. Even the organic ones claiming they were gluten free STILL made me break out horrifically. I have to say that cutting out all vitamins was the single largest factor in clearing me up very dramatically in a short amount of time. Looking back, I now realize that the breakouts started 2 years ago when I decided to take care of myself and started taking vitamins. I started breaking out like crazy, but instead of realizing it was because of the vitamins, I went out and bought MORE vitamins to try to clear myself up, establishing a vicious cycle. If you are taking tons of vitamins a day and not seeing any results, try going vitamin free for a week and see what happens.

2. Gluten is hidden in a lot of ingredients, like modified food starch, lunch meats, soy sauce, etc. Also beware of gluten containing booze: beer, scotch, whiskey, gin, vodka, etc. I'd suggest doing a google search for a list of other food ingredients containing hidden sources (such as http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs06.htm). Cutting all this out may sound like a large undertaking and it is, but it's WORTH it if this is the source of the problem for you. Go slow and cut them out one at a time until it becomes reflexive to not reach for them. I feared in the beginning that it would limit my food choices, but have found that on the contrary, it has encouraged me to eat a lot healther than I used to. I now eat a lot of stir fries with rice and salads, and have gotten into Thai cooking (it's amazing how good food tastes even when only prepared with oil, salt and pepper). I also have made it a habit to read ingredient labels and try to only buy things that have short, all natural lists. Not only is my skin much happier, my bowels are too.

3. Drink water (used bottled if you live in an older building with yucky pipes). I recommend water that has undergone a steam purification process over spring or just purified water. I noticed my skin cleared up a little more after making this switch.

4. Contrary to popular thinking on this website, I found that anything containing AHA's (including red/rooibos tea!!!) made the breakouts turn into red marks that never seemed to go away.

5. Favorite products: believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING, and I don't think there's much of a difference between all of the crap out there, so try not to waste your money on the latest "miracle" cure. That said, though, here are some of the products that I thought made somewhat of a difference (as opposed to none or making things worse): Clean and Clear oil free deep action cream cleanser, Aubrey Organics blue green algae facial cleanser (good for my skin type but choose type according to yours), Nars skin balancing foam cleanser, Queen Helene mint julep natural facial scrub, and Queen Helene grapeseed extract face mask.

I hope this helps, if there's anything else I can think of I'll post it later, good luck to all on your quest for clarity!!! And remember, try cutting out the vitamins. Of all of the things I listed, that alone made 75% of the difference.

~BN

If you are going to go on a gluten-free diet, make sure you are actually sensitive to gluten first, or you might mess your eating habits up. Most people, when diagnosed with a gluten-sensitivity/celiac disease immediatly go for direct bread/pasta substitutes and end up using alternatives like brown rice flour or potato flour. Whole wheat is actually nutritionally the best, as the others are pretty much all carbohydrates without a lot of fiber (not saying that whole-wheat flour is great either, but it's more balanced with some fiber, etc). It's best to avoid eating them on a regular basis all together. But don't be too strict! I have a gluten sensitivity, but on special occasions (birthdays, christmas, etc) I still have a little bread. Eat with your mind, and you'll be fine. ^_^

Hmmm, wow, thanks for all the advice. Sorry for the late response, classes have been picking up pace-

Kodo- Is there a way to find out if you gluten sensitive? I was under the understanding that most people, the vast majority, just don't do well with gluten. I know celiac disease is not THAT common, but would it still be worth going gluten free

Balletnut- Thanks for the info. That stuff about the vitamins is interesting, Im on Centrum, fish oil pills, and a few other herbal vitamins. How do you think I can find out/ find some that are gluten free? I don't want to go off them, seeing as how my diet is so limited as it is...

Leah- I'm a vegetarian not mainly because of moral beliefs, but because of what I call the "energy pyramid". People make fun of me for it, but the general concept is that as you go up each food chain level (ie, grass to cow, cow to human), you lose about 90% of the energy to entropy. To make a long story short, if everyone ate vegetarian diets, we could feed 10x the people in the world, and reduce the environmental impact of farming 10 fold... so I do it for environmental reasons mainly. The no dairy is mainly for my acne, gonna see if I can avoid all those hormones they pump into cows!

Jen 121- I'd love to keep on this diet, however, its tough as a college student.... I dont have the money to buy all my own stuff, although I can smuggle some brown rice out of the cafeteria! I'm so rebellious like that!

Oh, by the way... the Mexican food was delicious... I think I got a burrito, sans cheese, with a corn tortilla... it was scrumptious...

Still, I have to agre with leah, I am concerned a bit about the whole fruits and veggies thing I am on... thats pretty much all I can eat. I'm worried not that its unheatlhy (I get vitamin supplements), but that the stress may just make the acne worse even!

Almost gave in and had a wrap today trying to convince myself that a "spinach wrap" just had spinach in it. Ha

My face is actually clear right now, which is actually from it healing from me popping all active zits on it a week or two back... so I guess Ill see if this diet helps sustain it, otherwise, I think I'm back on wheat! I'll let you know the progress

You can find out if you have a gluten sensitivity by doing an allergy test. I suspected I had one because everytime I ate a lot of gluten-containg foods, my stomach would be extremely bloated and I would feel terrible afterwards.

If you are going to go on a gluten-free diet, make sure you are actually sensitive to gluten first, or you might mess your eating habits up.

Yeah, I'd love to go get that stuff, but living in a college dorm limits me to anything cheap (my meal of choice being canned veggies!), and anything that can be cooked in a microwave.

Im gonna stick it out until I break out at least, I often feel bloated after I eat, so maybe I wasn't feeling the gluten? Or maybe it could be the fact that I always overeat because my college's food is actually delicious.

I've been avoiding gluten off and on for a long time, but now I'm avoiding it 100%. I recently found out I have celiac disease, which gives me a pretty good reason to avoid it.

IMO, gluten has been the main cause of my acne throughout my entire life. When I avoid gluten my acne gets much better. Right now I'm 100% clear.

Hi, I'm on a dairy free, vegetarian, gluten free and anti-candida diet.

Some nice things you could try eating....

Rice noodles

Corn cakes (like rice cakes only MUCH nicer)

humous

soya mince

black eyed peas

lentils

tofu

plain salted potato chips/crisps

a sourdough bread made with rice or corn flour

a gluten free falafal mix, or make your own mix

buckwheat, corn, or rice pasta

tacos (they made with corn flour)

poppadoms (they made with lentil and rice flour)

Big supermarkets should have a gluten free section? mine does, everything in that range is very expensive tho.

Hi, I'm on a dairy free, vegetarian, gluten free and anti-candida diet.

Some nice things you could try eating....

Rice noodles

Corn cakes (like rice cakes only MUCH nicer)

humous

soya mince

black eyed peas

lentils

tofu

plain salted potato chips/crisps

a sourdough bread made with rice or corn flour

a gluten free falafal mix, or make your own mix

buckwheat, corn, or rice pasta

tacos (they made with corn flour)

poppadoms (they made with lentil and rice flour)

Big supermarkets should have a gluten free section? mine does, everything in that range is very expensive tho.

WOW! I just HAD to reply because I am experiencing progress from cutting wheat out of my diet. I don't mean to bombard you with my entire medical history, but real quick:

I have a condition called exercise-induced anaphylaxis (EIA). If I do anything cardio, my legs erupt into furious itching, then incredible heat, then my chest tightens up, then the headache, then the dizziness, then ( I don't know about the rest b/c I usually stop here) the rest of anaphylaxis sets in and supposedly I could croak on the treadmill. Whatever.

Until a month ago, I did not know that my version is (like others) sensitive to diet. Anxiety over a breakup killed my appetite, I went to the gym and <SURPRISE!> No Hives. The EIA literature on the Web says that suspect foods are celery, seafood, cheese, and WHEAT GLUTEN. I added this stuff back in and stopped short at the gluten. One month later, still no hives and I'm actually able to run for the first time in my life.

What does this have to do with this post? Well, my skin is finally starting to clear up. BONUS!!!!!!! (I hope I'm not jinxing it!)

I've also been on MicroRetin-A inconsistently since Thanksgiving, but only for my face. My back and chest are clearing up as fast as my face and the texture of my skin all-over is getting smoother and calmer. I am convinced at this time that it's the gluten.

I plan to experiment with adding back barley and oats into my diet, but I'm stalling here because dammit, I'm feeling good and I don't want it to stop. I feel better now that the wheat is gone than at any other time I can remember. I have more energy, I'm more alert, and my angry skin is finally starting to chill the F out.

Seriously, if you think gluten might help, cut it out! Just try it and see what happens.I've been gluten-free for 4 weeks now. I really, REALLY miss Milano cookies and pizza and croissants and pasta and CEREAL, but not as much as I like the way I feel. If my skin regresses, I'll be back to complain about it. If you don't hear from me here, assume it's still working and might work for you.

Good Luck!!!

***Update***

It's November now. Still avoiding wheat because of my special-snowflake-obscure exercise thing, but my skin still sucks.

And bad.

Discontinued the Retin-A in June because after all that time it didn't just not get better, it got worse.

And kept worsening.

Hope all of you out there are having better luck in your endeavors.

OMG, no meat, no dairy, and gluten-free?! Good luck with that. My daughter has celiac disease. When she reaches puberty, I'll let you know if she develops acne.

Gluten intolerance is not going to just cause acne

If you have it you must have experienced other symptoms with a steady frequency especially digestive and intestinal distress.

If not it's very unlikely you have a gluten intolerance and if you don't gluten can't be triggering your acne