Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KaliforniaKid

Retin-A Micro Journal

Day 1:

Last night I applied my first dosage of Retin-A Micro .1%, or "Hellraiser" (I call it that because it lifts all that crap to the surface of your skin.) I applied very small amounts to make sure I wasn't going to have an adverse reaction or something very obvious like that. Today my face looks pretty much the same, but the places on which I applied the Hellraiser look a little bit lighter in color than the other areas. No burning or stinging or itching or peeling yet, I am hoping I get a little peeling soon to ensure it's starting to have some effect! I am starting this log to help those who are considering Retin-A Micro make an educated decision.

Background: I am 16, and have had mild acne for three and a half years, mainly red dots on my chin and sides of my nose, sometimes a few on my forehead. I have tried Proactiv, Exposed, Clearsil, Oxy, Zapzyt, and plenty others. My main problem with acne has been that, while I don't get too many pimples, the ones I get take a very long time to fade away after they die. This will be my first prescription attempt...

By the way, my regimen is simply Cetaphil cleanser in the morning and at night, followed by the Retin-A Micro before bed. I am also drinking a ton of water and might take B5 later on. I will try to update this journal every day.

How I Feel: neutral.gif

Day 2:

Today the areas that were covered with the Retin-A Micro feel a little warmer than the other areas after I removed the layer of dry Micro. Either the old red spots are fading out slowly, or those areas are becoming more uniformly red, very slightly. I am estimating that I will start peeling in a few days; last night the Retin-A Micro actually stung a tiny tiny bit. Also, my skin is starting to become more oily than usual on my forehead. Did anyone else on Retin-A Micro experience this?

Yeah, my skin started to get alot oilier when I first started but I'm on day 6 now and it is as oily as it was before I started. So just wait a while and it'll go away. smile.gif

Wow. Our backgrounds are virtually identical, and I'm on day two on my Retin-A-Micro also. shock.gif

I haven't as much of the burning/itching/whatever as you've described, however I've been applying very lightly, for fear of really adverse reactions. Nothing happened, so I'll knocking it up a little here shortly.

Good luck with your treatment!

Lausy, good to know! We can compare results! BTW, just to clarify, I haven't really had any itching/burning/peeling yet, just a little warmth and very very very light redness. And I too have been applying very lightly. Anyway I hope this works [-o<

Day 3:

Today I noticed that while my chin area is gradually improving, I had a few new small whiteheads starting to form around my sides of my nose. By "chin improving" I mean that the old red 'scars' seem to be very slowly dissapearing, one actually flaked off.

As these days go on, I am becoming more and more anxious about the initial breakout, of which I have heard many bad stories. I hope that since I have very mild actual acne, there won't be a tremendous amount of junk for the RAM to bring to the surface. We'll see...

KaliforniaKid, I haven't gotten any intial breakout yet and I have now been on it a week. Usually I think your skin is supposed to get increasingly worse until week 2 when your skin starts to improve. I'm really surprised though, I'm only getting better, but I'll let you know if anything else comes up.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I noticed a little breakouts too (on day 3-4 I think now). Just very small white heads, not cystic or anything. I just put more on it sometimes BP.

I don't even put too much sun screen cause I want my skin to flake.

Day 4:

This morning my skin looked a little more red, but not itching or peeling yet. I haven't gotten any new zits yet except for some very minor ones around the side-of-my-nose area. The red marks on my chin continue to fade out, but very slowly. Now all areas that are covered in RAM are becoming oily, not just forehead. I am not concerned about the oil so long as it doesn't lead to new acne and it doesn't look too greasy.

How I feel: neutral.gif

hi kaliforniakid!

why dont u try mixing the Obagi blender with your retin-a treatment? didnt your derm recommend it? im into obagi right now and im really hoping for good results in a couple of weeks time smile.gif

As a solution for your whiteheads I found that putting MORE Retin-A on them makes them dry up a few days faster. What I mean is when you are completely done with your regimen at night just apply dabs of it directly on your WHITEHEADS and don't rub it in just leave it there. When you wake up there shouldn't be any left on face or you have applied to much. Give it a try!

Day 6:

Red marks fading out very slowly, no new zits exept on sides of nose, which seem to be in the breakout phase, but not badly at all. My oil production is still pretty high, but is bearable. I will try Soccer_NC's suggestion of spot treating the whiteheads after applying to the rest of my face.

Even though the fading process is slow, I am content with what the Retin-A Micro is doing; this is the longest I have gone (6 days) without a new whitehead on my chin area. I love the beginning of the weekend because it means I have 3 nights to make my skin look better (hopefully) before I go back to school.

Kaliforniakid and Soccer, I just started Retin-A yesterday. I used to have mild to moderate acne which got worse after Benzoyl peroxide. Now I have moderate-severe acne. I'm really crossing my fingers that the initial breakout wont be too bad ( yeah right!). Good luck to all of us!

Wondergirl, don't get discouraged from using the Retin-A if you do have a initial breakout because it can only obviously get better from there. If your skin gets very irritated you might want to try applying every other night, it worked for me. Also, I went to another dermatoligist to get a "second opinion" and she agreed with the prescriptions with the 1st derm. but she told me to take the minocycline 2x's a day and also prescribed me Duac (1% Clindamycin and 5% BP). So far my skin looks 10x's better after only 1 week and 4 days (or something like that). Wonder/Kalifornia, you can send me a private message if you have any other questions on the Retin A or want to know some tips the derm. gave me.

Retin A Micro users...I am curious. I used regular Retin A wheni was in highschool and hated it. I am very sensitive and it was the worst ever. But now i am on Differinn because it is similar in that it is Vitamin A as well. As I understand it Retin A Micro is for people that Retin A is too harsh for?

Yeah, people that had problems with Retin-A are generally prescribed Differin. My dermatologist gave me tons of trial sized Differin that I could use in place of the Retin-A if I was to irritated one day.

yes but word of warning, use differin sparingly if you tend to be sensitive. I didn't realize how strong the stuff was and if you use too much, may as well be retin a!

Hey guys.... are you peeling yet on Retin A?? This is my 3rd day on it and I was just wondering. I actually wnat the peeling to start so it will give way to new skin... Because I'm afraid to have an initial breakout all at once I've been putting the Retin A only on affected areas. And I've also followed Soccer's suggestion of spot treating it with Retin A. Since yesterday I've spot treat also during the day ( when I dont get out of course..... but this days I've been caving in at home, 2 embarrassed to go out!) sad.gif

i know what you mean, it can be so hard to face the day and get outside when you are not pleased with how your face looks. I hear you! But i find that once I am out, i forget and no one else seems to even care and if they do, screw em! the ones that matter don't mind and the ones that mind don't matter!

Ruby's right but also if you can you might want to try and do something (if your not that is) in your house or maybe early in the morning to get your circulation going because I have found that on days where I don't get out much my acne, as far as my red marks, are much more obvious. :-k So some form of excersise is ideal! Just curious too, I know it's early but I wanted to know if the spot treatment is working for anyone else besides me so just let me know!

Day 7, 8, 9 -- End Week 1:

I'd say on the whole, it was a pretty good week. My skin is looking better due to fading red marks. Two small whiteheads popped up this weekend, but nothing to sweat about; they seem to heal quickly. On Day7, I noticed that some areas of my face were beginning to peel very slightly, so to better protect, I have started to put on moisturizer, even though I probably should have alreay been doing that :-$ .

I am looking forward to more clearing and hoping I don't get a really bad initial breakout, if I have one at all. [-o<