Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetPete

Do it yourself Dermasanding?

How are you going to avoid the sand from lodging into the wound..? I'm sorry, but IMO this has infection written all over it. I wish you the best Pete. Please keep us updated.

Has anyone done this? if so please give a detailed account.

Having tried over the course of twenty five years Subcision, Motor driven Dermabrasion, Co2 Laser, Fraxel Laser, TCA Cross, Dermaroller Needling without improvement..... Scalpel Excision and a Permanent Dermal Filler with good improvement Ive concluded most doctors are useless at scar revision so Im toying with the idea of sandpapering my own cheeks as a final touch starting with one small area first. The rationale for doing a small area at one time is that healing will be able to take place by the migration of cells from surrounding untreated skin as well as from the pilosebaceous unit below which will minimise the risk of abnormal healing or scarring. Im aware Drewboy and another lady did some sort of rudimentary abrasion though they didnt go into much detail. Not sure if I will have the guts, stupidity or desperation to go thru with the dermasanding but Ive ordered the following supplies just in case.

A steam sterilizer, waterproof sandpaper approx 200 to 400 grit, non stick antiseptic dressings, absorbent dressings, sterile saline solution, topical EMLA anesthetic cream, alcohol swabs, betadine surgical scrub. Im not sure if topical anesthesia will suffice for pain management probably not or if 200 grit paper will be sufficiently abrasive for acne scar revision, 200 grit has been mentioned in papers Ive read on surgical scar revision but very old papers on dermasanding acne scars dating back to the 1950s are hard to come by so Im not sure what grit paper they were using. If anyone has the seminal paper on dermasanding written by a Dr Iverson back in the 1950s please let me know. I only intend doing a very light abrasion till there is punctate bleeding which indicates the papillary dermis has been reached. Since the epidermis contains no blood vessels no bleeding indicates the epidermis is still intact whilst profuse bleeding indicates the reticular dermis has been reached which should be avoided. Prepping the skin with topical Tretinoin for several weeks prior will speed up reepithelialisation by a few days. CAUTION I dont necessarilly recommend do it yourself abrasion to anyone else especially newbies.

Time Magazine

Monday, Mar. 13, 1950

The best way to get rid of acne scars, Plastic Surgeon William G. McEvitt of Detroit announced last week, is to rub them down with coarse sandpaper. Acne's disfigurement, Dr. McEvitt reported to the Journal of the American Medical Association, is bad enough for men, but tragic for women. It results simply from "lights and shadows playing on an uneven surface." Acids and dry ice have been used to level the skin; so have mechanical devices such as scalpel blades, razor blades, needles grouped like a currycomb, rough stones, disks and brushes.

Dr. McEvitt was not satisfied with any of these methods, but it took him a long time to screw up enough courage to use sandpaper. He first tried local anesthesia, but found it was not enough. Now he puts his patients into the hospital, gives them a general anesthetic, and sandpapers the whole face (using No. 1½ or No. 2 grades of sandpaper) in a single operation. Bleeding is controlled by pressure. Then petrolatum gauze and a pressure dressing are applied. After ten days the wrappings come off, and the patient's face is usually healed. Local touching up may be done a few months later.

Self-conscious teen-agers are sternly warned against trying the treatment on themselves. Said Dr. McEvitt: "It would be like somebody taking out his gall bladder at home. No one could possibly do it. It would be so terribly painful that he would have to stop in a few seconds."

MeetPete,

I had dermasanding (cheeks only) done by a plastic surgeon. It gave me a 30-50% improvements on scarring but it ruined the texture of my skin, caused additional scarring, and I broke out. I was desperate and went to Dr. y hoping he would fix the problem . I had 2 dermabrasion by Dr Y. Although my scarring has improved, I now have this weird texture .

man. i aggresively exfoliated my skin and it caused new scarring. please, if anything, do a tiny test spot. the dermaroller didn't work for you though... was it the medical grade roller- any idea what mm the needles were?

Dude don't sand down your face please! i dont even think u should 'test' this on a small area of your face. it could very well make things worse and you will regret it. go see a professional. you could even try this, it sounds like it could be very good www.skinculture.com

edit: i searched this forum about the skin culture peel and 99% is negative feedback. So dont look into that but go to a professional though and dont use sand paper on your face

Guest Aloetta

:eh: Don't do it.... :doh:

I don't know the severity of your scars..- nor how many?...

Here are a few suggestions I might advise if you ever get fresh scars or some old (but not so OLD ones) Might have significant improvements...

HORSETAIL ROOT HERB... (plumps up Collagen)

Boil as TEA.. Cool and DAB on SKIN.. ( you might want to try it Lukewarm for effectiveness)...

Get a Cotton or Cotton (swab).. and keep imersing SCARED AREAs...

MARSHMELLOW ROOT ... also great in healing open skin tissue....................................................

Next..

Invest in some OINTMENTS for Scarring..

I have bought 2 PEANUT OINTMENT - from Edgar Casey - directions are to Rub a certain way (you'll read em at back)..for a minute or so...

also.. Vitamin E OIL Capsule... Break the casple and put on Scars...at night...

Aloe Vera for healing as well...

****NOTE**** NO ONE WILL TELL YOU...

When applying an OINTMENT... you MUST apply a dab of Moisterizer around affected area or wound, to achieve MAXIUM HEALING .. ....

............so pick a moisterizer of YOUR choice?

Best of Luck to you......

Some EO's (essential oils might also be effective for scar healing or absolutly the minimizing of APPEARENCE .. such as Frankincense or Gerium Rose or others...- Google it! ;)... NOT EVERYTHING IS WRITTEN IN STONE>.. for scarring... like PEELS/ Exfoilations or SANDING....(?)

To me a SCAR is a SCAR... you will CONSTANTLY need to upkeep the Delicate CARE of it or ALL OF THEM..............w/ a stern regimen followed daily or EVERY TWO to THREE DAYS.....

Let us know if any improvements......

Your TOP epidermal layers need to heal... and sometimes that may take YEARS...

If proper care is given you might even SPEED up that Process...

again GOOD LUCK!! :hand:

Gosh in my younger days I used to have that Cleanser SNAP... as an ABRASIVE cleanser - and used it abbrasively.. I know the pain your going to feel and THEN SOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... - DON't DO IT!!........

I recently bought a dermapower - at home sander / vacuum. You might be able to achieve raw skin with this thing since I almost did last night. Luckily, I stopped in time. It has a litte rotating sandpaper? attachment in between a vacuum. Wow, my skin was close to raw. I have had a real dermabrasion about 15 years ago (worked great on almost all scars but new ones have formed since) , collagen injection, peels, smoothbeam, spot dermabrasion, v-beam, the list goes on. I would not take any chances if your skin is much improved like you mentioned with all the procedures. Take it easy, we don't have to be perfect. Don't risk doing more harm than good.

MeetPete,

I had dermasanding (cheeks only) done by a plastic surgeon. It gave me a 30-50% improvements on scarring but it ruined the texture of my skin, caused additional scarring, and I broke out. I was desperate and went to Dr. y hoping he would fix the problem . I had 2 dermabrasion by Dr Y. Although my scarring has improved, I now have this weird texture .

What type of paper was used and what grit was it? Were the wounds regularly irrigated with saline to wash away debris?

Wow, your skin, even in 1990, looked/looks pretty good. I really don't think sanding your face is worth the risk you're taking.

meet pete, omg!

i remember you

from years ago...

you keep leaving and coming back

too good for us all?

i dont like you very much!

meet pete, omg!

i remember you

from years ago...

too good for us all?

Pete i remember from one of your previous posts, you mentioned that the surgeon cut large chunks of ur skin and then excised. I guess this would not be same as punch excision, where small ice picks are punched and then excised. How to ask or explain the procedure that you had to a surgeon.

meet pete, omg!

i remember you

from years ago...

too good for us all?

I keep leaving because I cant suffer fools like you, never could never will. Ive left three boards in total because I couldnt stand some of the fools unfortunately it also meant leaving some nice reasonable people. I get on reasonbly well with many mature people but if someone gets up my nose I cant fake it so its either say whats on my mind or leave.

Unlike infantile barbie dolls who use the internet as a baby sitting service to fret over a solitary blemish I keep coming back because I get asked by people with severe scarring for useful information which may help them out of their misery possibly because unlike infantile barbie dolls who spend their time in excruciatingly boring adoloscent instant messaging about a broken fingernail or this weeks boyfriend romance I actually try and provide useful information to anyone who cares to read it and have backed up my posts over the years with numerous photos which is why I probably get asked for information in the first place unlike barbie dolls who are experts at everything yet never manage to post a single useful photo becauses they are too busy loving themselves in the mirror.

If you find me so objectionable I will leave again so feel free to ask a mod to delete my posts and pics and ban my ip which is static and easy to do. In fact Ill save you the time and do it myself right now. Last time I left I asked a mod to ban my ip address because I knew when I came back I would eventually encounter a fool like you again and get into a verbal slanging match.