Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chacham

Post-Accutane Topicals?

Hello Everyone,

I am almost finished with my Accutane course, and now that I'm almost through my dermatologist wants to prescribe a topical. I was wondering, which topical do you think is the best for post-Accutane treatment? I just wanted to get some recommendations from those who have an opinion between all the topicals out there. Also, I recently discovered a Accutane topical called Isotrex or Isotrexin, has anyone heard of it?; if it works?; or if it's available in the US?

TY

I think a more gentle retinoid is better tolerated, like Differin or RetinA micro or even Green Cream (OTC retinoid). From what i've read Isotrex is not a great choice, it is extremely irritating and no more effective than the gentler retinoids.

I think a more gentle retinoid is better tolerated, like Differin or RetinA micro or even Green Cream (OTC retinoid). From what i've read Isotrex is not a great choice, it is extremely irritating and no more effective than the gentler retinoids.

I agree with using a gentle retinoid. I just want to take it easy on my skin now so that it can rest and heal properly after Accutane, which is why I wanted to get opinions on the retinoids out there. Now that you mention it, I've heard alot about Green Cream, but never tried it. I'm going to look into it some more. I don't know what topical my dermatologist has in mind for me, so I thought based on opinions I would suggest one to him. Thanks for the information on Isotrex, I think I'll forget asking my doc about it than and pick among the common retinoids.

Thanks, beentheredonethat :wavey:

my dermatologist didn't want to give me anything like retin a or differin, because she thought my skin would be to sensitive post accutane. she prescribed me cleocin lotion, which is an antibiotic, and it's pretty gentle. I think she's right, I was on retin a before, and i don't think my skin could handle it now. although i did want to try taz or differin. i'm sure the cleocin will be fine for me.

i've been off accutane for about 2 months and have been using differin gel. it's great - no new pimples so far!

Get differin gel or differin cream.

I love both of those.

I think my best options or either Differin or Green Cream. I feel my skin is still very fickle and may relapse. I just don't know what I'll do once I'm done with Accutane. Thank you ThereIsHope.

my dermatologist didn't want to give me anything like retin a or differin, because she thought my skin would be to sensitive post accutane. she prescribed me cleocin lotion, which is an antibiotic, and it's pretty gentle. I think she's right, I was on retin a before, and i don't think my skin could handle it now. although i did want to try taz or differin. i'm sure the cleocin will be fine for me.

I've never heard of Cleocin. But it being an antibiotic lotion sounds promising, since bacteria causes the acne. Thanks Jordan.

i've been off accutane for about 2 months and have been using differin gel. it's great - no new pimples so far!

I'm happy for you! I don't currently have pimples anymore, and that's the way I want to keep it. But like I mentioned above, I still feel my skin may relapse. And I just want my skin to keep improving. I still have some redness, which my derm tells me the topical will take care of. So a relapse would be devestating. Good luck! I hope you continue to stay clear.