Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skribby

Seborrhoeic Dermatitis - Need help

I've been researching and I found that I most likely have seborrhoeic dermatitis, which kinda looks like:

sebderm2-s.jpg

I have a similar problem as the photo.

I'm just wondering what you guys recommend for treating it? I really don't want to try hydrocortisone because it thins your skin and stuff.. :(

Anyone been in a similar situation?

I had the same problem and I recommend washing your face once every other day with nizoral shampoo and leave it on for around 3 - 5 minutes then rinse. and if it cleared up your SD, gradually decrease the usage of nizoral shampoo to once a week for maintenance. I have been doing this for almost 2 years and it has been working perfectly! (knock on wood) :)

HTH! :)

Go see a dermatologist to make sure it is SD.

Ketoconazole is the active ingredient in Nizoral and you can get a prescription cream for it from your doctor if it is SD.

Good luck.

Myacneforum.com, I have something similar, do you have rough sand-paper like skin, does it itch bad and hurt if you open your mouth wide like at the dentist? does it burn and sting? I have not been able to figure out what it is. Mine is on my laugh lines and on my chin and sides of my chin.

i used to be in the same situation...try this- http://www.drugstore.com/qxp155929_333181_..._to_be_mild.htm. It's got pyrithione zinc, which is the same stuff found in head and shoulders and other anti-dandruff shampoos, but it's for your face. It's made specifically for those with seborrheic dermatitis. I've been using it once a day for about a week without any moisturizer and my face isn't flaky at all, even in the middle of winter.

Ketoconazole is the same thing, but a little stronger: "A study conducted by University Medical Center Sart Tilman (Belgium) comparing the efficacy of the active ingredient in Head & Shoulders (zinc pyrithione) versus the active ingredient in Nizoral (ketoconazole) found that "Ketoconazole [Nizoral] 2% shampoo was significantly superior to zinc pyrithione [Head & Shoulders] 1% shampoo in the treatment of subjects with severe dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp". (Skin Pharmacol Appl Skin Physiol. 2002 Nov-Dec;15(6):434-41.)."

Either should be able to effectively control your flakes. If I were you I would first try the Dermadoctor Born to be mild zinc pyrithione 2% (because it's very gentle) and if that doesn't work then move up to nizoral or the equivalent.

I had the same problem and I recommend washing your face once every other day with nizoral shampoo and leave it on for around 3 - 5 minutes then rinse. and if it cleared up your SD, gradually decrease the usage of nizoral shampoo to once a week for maintenance. I have been doing this for almost 2 years and it has been working perfectly! (knock on wood) :)

HTH! :)

Hmm, I find that when I wash my face, it makes it worse and more flakey. :( Before you found out about nizoral shampoo, did you have the same problem?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it! :)

Thanks for the reply. I have done some experminting with a soft facial brush and some Lye soap that I bought last year for my daughter. She had infantile dermititis and thought that would help for me. It seemed to take care of the itchyness for me and some of the redness was way down when I got out of the shower last nite. It was only just a bit pink instead of bright red, then I went back to (gasp!) Cetaphil lotion and it didn't burn or sting as bad, just a little. So now today my skin is just a little dry and the sandpaper-looking skin is back on my chin but guess I will give this a shot till I go see the Dr. at the end of the month. At least the chronic itchy, burning skin is gone for now. So maybe it is a form of SD, it started after a month of using a high end make up and it seems to be hanging on. Anyway, thanks for replying, Elf

Hmm, I find that when I wash my face, it makes it worse and more flakey. :( Before you found out about nizoral shampoo, did you have the same problem?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it! :)

It does make it a bit worse using a different cleanser especially if I used a cleanser without exfolliating properties. But that was before I used nizoral shampoo. Using nizoral for the first 3 washes won't give you results right away. I got results like the 6th wash of nizoral. Right now, 2 years after the SD condition, I now use the nizoral once a week for maintenance and using different cleanser doesn't affect my skin anymore.

I might add that I read somewhere wherein they found that they had greater results using the nizoral shampoo that the nizoral cream. I don't know if it's true bcoz I haven't tried the cream but I can attest that the shampoo is really effective. :)

I have always had dry skin and as I get older I think that can really be a problem and come to think of it, my Dad passed away last year, my oldest was going to college in the fall and I had a lot of stress at work, more responsibilities, more things to learn, just a lot of crap to deal with at work from younger workers and it could have maifested itself in my skin and just didn't realize it. I really stressed about things for about 6 months the time my Dad was diagnosed with cancer and his death in June and was trying different things with my skin and not getting enough rest, proper food and relied on too much coffee to get me through. I also had a hard time with trying to plan a graduation party, getting another vehicle for my youngest and just a myraid of things. And I noticed that I scratched my skin alot, on my face, body, scalp and I just didn't get the connection. Now I do. I think I have got some things under control and I have noticed some positive changes, so hopefully they will continue. Thanks, Elf

Oh, that's nice to hear things are starting to work out for you and I'm sorry to hear about your father.

Does anyone think Vitamin E cream/face wash helps with this condition? It's supposed to help with itchy/dry/irritated skin.

Just about to visit the derm in 2 days, just wondering if anyone else has any views on this or treatments, etc.

i just want to add that I use(d) the Keto shampoo for about 4 months and it works, except I hate standing in the shower for 10 mins while it works. I tried head & shoulders Intense Solutions (normal hair) and IT IS GREAT. Its better than the Keto. Also, after you use it, use Paul Mitchells' DENTANGLER. That stuff works better than any conditioner.

do you use BP? If you do, it may be a reaction to it. That looks very similar to the allergic reaction I have to BP, but mine is much much worse with oozing and peeling and crusting and the occasional bloody spot. Anyway, you could be only mildly allergic.

I've been researching and I found that I most likely have seborrhoeic dermatitis, which kinda looks like:

sebderm2-s.jpg

I have a similar problem as the photo.

I'm just wondering what you guys recommend for treating it? I really don't want to try hydrocortisone because it thins your skin and stuff.. :(

Anyone been in a similar situation?