Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
juliel77

accutane - dianette

hi all

am new to this board and was really after some accutane - diannete advice.

i have had persistant sometimes moderate sometimes mild occasionally terrible but have always had acne. (am now 33)

i have tried various bc pills including dianette, all antibiotics (which worked hooray -the most lovely skin i have ever had for 6 months at the age of 30! and then didnt boo) all topicals etc etc.. in fact the only time i have ever had to see a doctor since a teenager is over acne

anyway i had a massive breakout on my birthday and got completely fed up and booked to see a private dermatologist who said that for recurrent cystic acne that hadnt gone away ever & my history i shoud take roaccutane, but that i had to commit to taking a birth control pill for 6 months

i have seen my doctor who didn't hesitate to prescribe the pill and agreed with the dermatoligists decision, he even offered to refer me to an nhs derm but said if the dianette apears to lessen things they wont prescribe roaccutane.

i guess i am worried that dianette might clear my skin to an ok point (still spotty but not as bad as at the moment).. but its not something i should take long term as i have a family history of blood clots and it gives me chloasma quite badly..so then i come off it and am back to square one.. get referred and get told i have to take the pill before i can take roaccutane....

aaaaaaaaarrrrrgh!!!!!!!!

any help or advice welcome.

x

With a family history of blood clots i don't think you should agree to Dianette at all since it carries an increased risk of blood clots even beyond the risk level of normal birth control brands.

With a family history of blood clots i don't think you should agree to Dianette at all since it carries an increased risk of blood clots even beyond the risk level of normal birth control brands.

many thanks...I have just made another apointment at the doctors and will get them to listen properly NOT JUST FOR 20seconds.. i think i would be more comfortable on a different pill..(i would rather not take anything but i understand the reasons why and am soo tired of hiding behind make-up, my hair and avoiding going out when i have a flare up..am way to old for all of this still.)