Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne_battle

Allergy to Dairy

I used to never be allergic to dairy but now everytime I eat dairy I break out. Its a real shame though because I love dairy products. Everytime I eat dairy I break out in huge cystic pimples. I currently have six just because I drank a glass of milk (Im also breaking out from cetaphil but thats another story). I will break out within 20-30 after taking in dairy. It never misses! Is there any thing I can do to get rid of this allergy or I just have to wait for the allergy to go away?

Is there some kind of test I can take to find out if I have dairy allergies? (besides stop eating it all together.. I need my share of dairy each day lol)

I dont know what kind of food allergy tests there are but I know they exist. I know for sure dairy makes me break out. Bananas are another food allergy I have. I have always had that reaction to bananas, ever since I started having acne when I was 12 or 13. Everytime I eat a banana I get like ten pimples including those painful ones around my lips. Yuck!

I'm allergic to bananas too, but they make my mouth itch.

Anyway, I think there are differences between sensitivities, allergies, and lactose intolerance. Maybe a better educated person can clear things up for you, I don't really know!

It may not be the actual dairy, but the hormones and such that is in the milk from factory farms. Have you tried organic milk? Also, skim milk is more associated with acne than whole milk, apparently the fat in whole milk slows the absoprtion of all that sugar, while skim milk with all the fat removed can't buffer the sugar. Do you get the same reaction from cheeses? (aged, non aged?) How about yogurt?

If worse comes to worse, there are countless milk alternatives like oat, rice and almond milks. IMO, they taste immensely better than milk.

It may not be the actual dairy, but the hormones and such that is in the milk from factory farms. Have you tried organic milk? Also, skim milk is more associated with acne than whole milk, apparently the fat in whole milk slows the absoprtion of all that sugar, while skim milk with all the fat removed can't buffer the sugar. Do you get the same reaction from cheeses? (aged, non aged?) How about yogurt?

Breaking out from dairy doesn't necessarily mean you are allergic to dairy. Only an allergy test can really determine if you are allergic to dairy.

Also, I don't think that you can conclusively state that the dairy is causing you to break out. Most acne develops over time. In other words, I don't believe that you can drink a glass of milk and then immediately break out from milk. Those cysts were probably already developing but perhaps the dairy caused them to inflame faster. So that might be more of the correlation.

Switch to soy milk or an alternative and see if that helps your situation.

Best of luck!

Also, I don't think that you can conclusively state that the dairy is causing you to break out

I dunno about that. Shrimp makes me break out in 24-48 hours, and my skin is completely clear at the moment post-Accutane, not even a clogged pore that i can see or feel. Yet if i eat shrimp i will get large papules all over my face, and i don't get any sort of breakout if i don't eat shrimp. When my acne was active shrimp would cause cystic breakouts in the same timetable instead of papules.

Pulled this from wikipedia. Seems relevant and might be helpful.

"A recent study, based on a survey of 47,335 women, did find a positive epidemiological association between acne and consumption of partially skimmed milk, instant breakfast drink, sherbet, cottage cheese and cream cheese.[5]The researchers hypothesize that the association may be caused by hormones (such as several sex hormones and bovine IGF-I) present in cow milk. Although the association between milk and acne has been definitively shown, the ingredient in the milk responsible for the acne is still unclear. Most dermatologists are awaiting confirmatory research linking diet and acne but some support the idea that acne sufferers should experiment with their diets, and refrain from consuming such fare if they find such food affects the severity of their acne.[6] Seafood, on the other hand, may contain relatively high levels of iodine. Iodine is known to make existing acne worse but there is probably not enough to cause an acne outbreak.[7]Still, people who are prone to acne may want to avoid excessive consumption of foods high in iodine. It has also been suggested that there is a link between a diet high in refined sugars and other processed foods and acne"

Cysts take some time to develop and possibly the milk was causing already existing cysts to become inflamed and push to the surface quicker than normal.

What i'm saying is that a different food caused immediate cysts for me. It's not impossible when you are talking about sensitivity/intolerance.

I can see your point about the lesions manifesting as cysts due to the inflammatory flare building on existing clogs.

But even when i'm perfectly clear (i mean it, truly clear, not even an area of clogged pores) i get a breakout 24-48 hours after eating shrimp. (And only shrimp, other seafood and other foods high in iodine do not effect me.) So i wouldn't say that it is always due to underlying clogs.

I can see your point about the lesions manifesting as cysts due to the inflammatory flare building on existing clogs.

But even when i'm perfectly clear (i mean it, truly clear, not even an area of clogged pores) i get a breakout 24-48 hours after eating shrimp. (And only shrimp, other seafood and other foods high in iodine do not effect me.) So i wouldn't say that it is always due to underlying clogs.

Yea there are allergy tests out there, if you have some idea of what your food allergies can be you can ask your doctor for a skin prick test http://www.allergyuk.org/allergy_skintest.aspx but like the website says its not that reliable for food allergies but its way cheaper than an ELISA test but if it turns out you do have a food allergy you have nothing to lose.

I've cut out all dairy for a week now and havent noticed any differences, I tend to be one of the non-believers that something I'm eating is causing my acne but I actually found this the other day:

What are the symptoms of a dairy allergy?

The symptoms of a dairy allergy can manifest themselves in the skin, the digestive system or the respiratory system. Skin reactions may include an itchy red rash, hives, eczema, allergic "shiners" (black eyes), and swelling of lips, mouth, tongue, face or throat. Digestive system reactions might include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, bloating or abdominal cramps. Respiratory system reactions include a runny nose, sneezing, watery or itchy eyes, nasal congestion, wheezing, shortness of breath or coughing, and even anaphylactic shock.

"You could try drinking soy milk. It's completely un-dairy."

I agree. Silk soymilk is the best and it's certified organic so that means it's not genetically modified. I like it sooooooo much better then regular milk. I will never go back to regular-I skeeve it. All the chemicals and it's from a cows boobs! We're basically nursing off a cow. LOL