Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ctb85

Wish Me Luck! 40mg, here I come!

Ok, well I haven't exactly started Accutane yet... but I had my first appointment with a new dermatologist a few weeks ago, and she immediately suggested Accutane for my condition. I'm going back on March 14 for the pregnancy tests and whatnot, and then I'll get to begin my treatment. I'm so excited... I've waited so long for this!

Let me tell you a little bit about my skin... I'm a 21-year-old female and I've had acne since I was in the 7th grade, so since I was 13. I'm acne-prone thanks to bad genes, so I was bound to start breaking out. It started with just a few pimples on my forehead, but I had bangs back then so it covered them up. Although my acne wasn't visible then, I have always been obsessive about my skin so I used harsh over-the-counter acne meds :naughty: to try to get my minor pimples to go away, but slowly and surely, they just kept getting worse. My skin got oilier, and my pimples started covering more of my face. (Still though, compared to how bad my skin looks now , I would LOVE to go back to how minor it was then!)

I started seeing a dermatologist in 8th grade, but he was TERRIBLE. (I later found out he had malpractice suits filed against him!) He used these high concentration acid solutions on my skin that just made it burn so badly, and always said, "oh you're looking much better" although I always looked exactly the same--or maybe worse. After two years of seeing him, I switched to a different derm. She was OK, but I still wasn't seeing the results I hoped for. Ok so over the years I have been on:

-Retin-A

-Retin-A Micro

-Minocycline

-Doxycycline

-Tetracycline

-Klaron Lotion

-Differin gel

-Tazorac

-Clindamycin

-BenzaClin

-BP in 2.5, 5, and 10% concentrations

-Dan's CSR

-ProActiv

-Murad

-Zenmed Derma Cleanse

-Ortho Tri-Cyclen

-Vitamin B5

-Tea Tree Oil

...basically everything but Accutane!

Out of all of these treatments, Dan's CSR was somewhat effective, but my skin was still SO oily that it wasn't able to make that much of a difference. Although I started off with mild acne, it has progressed to moderate/severe(at times). My entire face shines with oil a mere hour after washing, and I have ginormous pores on my nose and the sides of my cheeks. I get cystic acne on my jawline, which is weird because I never used to break out by my jaw at all. I have clogged pores everywhere, lots of non-imflamed pimples on my cheeks, and icepick scarring (especially on my cheeks) from prior acne. What sadly describes the texture of my face is that of an orange peel, with all of the tiny divits in it.

I doubt my scarring will ever go away. I know my skin will never be perfect, but I'm ok with that. I just hope for CLEAR skin with a normal amount of oil production, and most of all, I'm looking forward to the peace of mind that clear-skinned people must have. What will I think about if I'm not obsessing over my skin anymore? I can't wait to find out! I'll post pics once I begin my treatment.

Thanks for reading!

-C :angel:

Hi Charlene! Welcome to acne.org, this site is almost as addicting as myspace. It's like myspace for zitty people! :P

Anyway, congrats on getting Accutane. Don't worry about your scarring because once your skin is clear you can always get laser resurfacing. But I think 'tane has actually helped my scarring. It doesn't bother me anymore.

Good luck! ~Heather

Ok, well I haven't exactly started Accutane yet... but I had my first appointment with a new dermatologist a few weeks ago, and she immediately suggested Accutane for my condition. I'm going back on March 14 for the pregnancy tests and whatnot, and then I'll get to begin my treatment. I'm so excited... I've waited so long for this!

Let me tell you a little bit about my skin... I'm a 21-year-old female and I've had acne since I was in the 7th grade, so since I was 13. I'm acne-prone thanks to bad genes, so I was bound to start breaking out. It started with just a few pimples on my forehead, but I had bangs back then so it covered them up. Although my acne wasn't visible then, I have always been obsessive about my skin so I used harsh over-the-counter acne meds :naughty: to try to get my minor pimples to go away, but slowly and surely, they just kept getting worse. My skin got oilier, and my pimples started covering more of my face. (Still though, compared to how bad my skin looks now , I would LOVE to go back to how minor it was then!)

I started seeing a dermatologist in 8th grade, but he was TERRIBLE. (I later found out he had malpractice suits filed against him!) He used these high concentration acid solutions on my skin that just made it burn so badly, and always said, "oh you're looking much better" although I always looked exactly the same--or maybe worse. After two years of seeing him, I switched to a different derm. She was OK, but I still wasn't seeing the results I hoped for. Ok so over the years I have been on:

-Retin-A

-Retin-A Micro

-Minocycline

-Doxycycline

-Tetracycline

-Klaron Lotion

-Differin gel

-Tazorac

-Clindamycin

-BenzaClin

-BP in 2.5, 5, and 10% concentrations

-Dan's CSR

-ProActiv

-Murad

-Zenmed Derma Cleanse

-Ortho Tri-Cyclen

-Vitamin B5

-Tea Tree Oil

...basically every but Accutane!

Out of all of these treatments, Dan's CSR was somewhat effective, but my skin was still SO oily that it wasn't able to make that much of a difference. Although I started off with mild acne, it has progressed to moderate/severe(at times). My entire face shines with oil a mere hour after washing, and I have ginormous pores on my nose and the sides of my cheeks. I get cystic acne on my jawline, which is weird because I never used to break out by my jaw at all. I have clogged pores everywhere, lots of non-imflamed pimples on my cheeks, and icepick scarring (especially on my cheeks) from prior acne. What sadly describes the texture of my face is that of an orange peel, with all of the tiny divits in it.

I doubt my scarring will ever go away. I know my skin will never be perfect, but I'm ok with that. I just hope for CLEAR skin with a normal amount of oil production, and most of all, I'm looking forward to the peace of mind that clear-skinned people must have. What will I think about if I'm not obsessing over my skin anymore? I can't wait to find out! I'll post pics once I begin my treatment.

Thanks for reading!

I should be starting on March 14th, so that's just nine more days! I'm excited to get the ball rolling, but am anxious too. What I'm most afraid of is a terrible inital breakout, but if it happens... oh well. At least it'll be out of me and won't be lurking anymore.

Although I'm a little nervous to post pics of my skin (in fear that someone will figure out who I am! :hand: )... I'll do it anyway. I mean what the heck, people that know me or might recognize me can already tell that I have a skin problem, so there's no sense in me trying to deny it. Plus, I think pictures will do a better job of showing progress, and if my course goes well, :pray: then hopefully my success will encourage others to try Accutane. I've been afraid of this drug for so long but other people's positive experiences have finally prompted me to begin.

Thanks for reading!

I should be starting on March 14th, so that's just nine more days! I'm excited to get the ball rolling, but am anxious too. What I'm most afraid of is a terrible inital breakout, but if it happens... oh well. At least it'll be out of me and won't be lurking anymore.

Although I'm a little nervous to post pics of my skin (in fear that someone will figure out who I am! :hand: )... I'll do it anyway. I mean what the heck, people that know me or might recognize me can already tell that I have a skin problem, so there's no sense in me trying to deny it. Plus, I think pictures will do a better job of showing progress, and if my course goes well, :pray: then hopefully my success will encourage others to try Accutane. I've been afraid of this drug for so long but other people's positive experiences have finally prompted me to begin.

Thanks for reading!

Hello everyone,

No I haven't started yet, but I will start on the 21st (Wednesday). I thought I was going to start on the 14th because that's when my appointment with my derm was, but I guess they couldn't write me a prescription until exactly 30 days after my first negative pregnancy test. I can already tell that iPledge is going to be a nuissance! Oh well I guess... I think it's going to be worth it!

Here are some pictures that I took of my skin. As you can tell, I have lots of little non-inflamed pimples. These pictures don't really do justice to how bumpy my forehead looks, but I think you get the jist with how everything else looks. Just very oily, big pores, and lots of little pimples everywhere... especially on my jawline. I really want Accutane to work for me. :pray:

post-18877-1174194395_thumb.jpg

post-18877-1174194424_thumb.jpg

post-18877-1174194494_thumb.jpg

post-18877-1174194395_thumb.jpg

post-18877-1174194424_thumb.jpg

post-18877-1174194494_thumb.jpg

Good luck with your accutane adventure. I'm only on week 5, but we're on the same dosage, so let me know if you have any questions once you start. I might have a little insight on managing the side effects. I've managed mine rather effectively, and honestly I forget I'm taking it somedays. It will be great. Good luck.

Hello everyone,

No I haven't started yet, but I will start on the 21st (Wednesday). I thought I was going to start on the 14th because that's when my appointment with my derm was, but I guess they couldn't write me a prescription until exactly 30 days after my first negative pregnancy test. I can already tell that iPledge is going to be a nuissance! Oh well I guess... I think it's going to be worth it!

Here are some pictures that I took of my skin. As you can tell, I have lots of little non-inflamed pimples. These pictures don't really do justice to how bumpy my forehead looks, but I think you get the jist with how everything else looks. Just very oily, big pores, and lots of little pimples everywhere... especially on my jawline. I really want Accutane to work for me. :pray:

Just popped my first 40 mg pill tonight. Never before in my life have I been so excited to start taking medication!! I'll update when I notice any changes.

Just popped my first 40 mg pill tonight. Never before in my life have I been so excited to start taking medication!! I'll update when I notice any changes.

Day 3

Well, I haven't noticed any changes yet. I know some people say that at first they notice an increase in their oil production, but I am already so oily that I don't think I'd notice if I became even oilier. Lips are still great, skin still the same.

Does anyone know, can someone still achieve excellent results taking a 40mg course? It seems like everyone else on here (even people with milder acne than me) is on a higher dosage. I guess only time will tell. Thanks for reading.

Day 5

No side effects yet except for an unquenchable thirst! I've been drinking more water than ever (resulting in many trips to the bathroom :wacko:). I feel kind of silly that I thought that side effects would immediately start once I took Accutane. It's been kind of slow but that's ok. Good luck to you all... we will be clear before we know it!

Today is day two for me. I feel nothing. iknow what you mean about feeling silly. I got up this mrning and thought some of my acne would be gone. I was so excited to look. haha Nothing at all changed. I am only on 30 mgs a day for one month. My friend was on the same thing. it worked for her. Hopefully it will work for me and you. Good luck. Keep in touch.

Day 13

So far I'm really liking Accutane. No initial breakout yet (and hopefully I won't get one!), and pretty much normal oil production! Around day 9, my skin was not it's uber-oily self, and it still looked matte in the morning when I woke up! That is honestly an asolute first for me. I've had the oiliest skin around since the 8th grade. Also, my hair has not been oily at all. This might be kinda gross, but I purposely did not wash it for a few days to see if it would start to look oily, but after day 3 I washed it anyway, although it still looked clean.

A few annoying side effects I've noticed are an itchy, dry scalp, so now I use a dandruff shampoo, and peely dry lips. I'm using lots of cherry Carmex and it seems to help somewhat, but I just have layers of skin that are peeling off.

Overall, I'd definitely have to say so far so good... let's hope things keep going well! Good luck to you all on your treatment.

Day 43

Other than dry lips, I have not had any bad side effects AT ALL. My skin is improving every day, and the oil is gone. I can't believe I was so scared to take this medication. From how well things are going, I really really wish I would've done this five years ago.