Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
little labbit

is accutane the last resort?

i have moderate comedonal acne + blackheads and have been using:

retin-A micro-2+ months-minimum results-constant purging!

tetracycline-3 weeks-no results

yaz-3 weeks-no results

at what point do i consider accutane...or not?

Three weeks is not long enough to see results from those treatments, you should give it 3-6 months. I personally feel that people with mild acne like you describe should not use Accutane unless they have literally tried everything else (and that includes giving everything else a chance to work). The risk/reward ratio is not as favorable for mild acne imo.

Three weeks is not long enough to see results from those treatments, you should give it 3-6 months. I personally feel that people with mild acne like you describe should not use Accutane unless they have literally tried everything else (and that includes giving everything else a chance to work). The risk/reward ratio is not as favorable for mild acne imo.

thanks for the feedback!

'cept i have moderate acne, not mild...

and i have been using retin-A for 2+ months.

(3 weeks for tetracycline + yaz) in addition to RAM because my derm. said we needed a more aggressive approach...

so, i am hoping if anyone out there who has MODERATE acne uses accutane, and at what point did you decide to go that route?

t'anks!

You have more than the comedonal acne you mentioned? Having "moderate comedonal" is not really the same as having moderate acne which is generally characterized by inflammatory lesions that sometimes scar.

thanks for the feedback!

(3 weeks for tetracycline + yaz) in addition to RAM because my derm. said we needed a more aggressive approach...

so, i am hoping if anyone out there who has MODERATE acne uses accutane, and at what point did you decide to go that route?

t'anks!

By appearances, some people would probably say that my acne did not rate a course of accutane.

However, I messed around for 20 years trying everything under the sun.

I just finished my course. The side effects were minimal, and I'm thrilled with how my skin looks.

thanks for the feedback!

t'anks!

I decided to go on Accutane after I came to the realization that over-the-counter (OTC) products weren't working. I made a dermatologist appointment and the rest is history. My derm offered antibiotics, but I said I'd rather just go right ahead into Accutane. They obliged and I've been on it for 6 days at 80mg a day.

Personally, I think you're an excellent candidate for Accutane. If those products you listed aren't working, it's likely nothing else will aside from Accutane. Go for it.

Accutane kicks ass... I had very persistent but mild-moderate acne on my face, and I guess moderate acne on my back (cysts/pustules). I tried topical and injested antibiotics to no avail. Accutane has pretty much cleared my face right up in 3 weeks, my back isn't clear yet, but all in good time I suppose.