Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kostya86

Dissatisfaction with yourself

I'm just wondering what people think about the psychological effects of being dissatisfied with your body that can continue on even after your acne is gone. I would like to say that over the past year my acne has really gone down and I don't really break out anymore. My skin is now in good-enough condition so I have already forgotten about those acne problems that I used to have. I was always pretty confident in the way I look, but at a certain point when my face was really badly covered with acne I sort of broke apart and started hating myself for it. I remember that back then I started thinking that people really dislike the way I look, although not a single person has ever told me so. Now that my acne is gone, I start noticing that other "problems" start popping up. I start worrying about other things that I have never even worried about before. Honestly, I think that anyone who has acne should never let themselves go all the way down. If you close yourself up in a room and hate the world, it will have lasting effects, even after your skin gets much better. You should also all know that most of those negative thoughts that you think about yourself come from within you. Your self-consciousness is actually killing you. In truth, not as many people as you think care about acne to the point of disliking the person who has it. They may pity him, but they won't hate him or avoid him.

Basically, what I want to say is that if you let yourself get beat-down with your skin problems, you'll think poorly of yourself even after they are gone. Your attention will simply switch onto other things. It is difficult to get out of habit of disliking something in yourself, and it is always easy to find something to hate.

Also, I'm wondering if any of you know anything about BDD. I think BDD probably develops in most acne sufferers.

I feared also that people would dislike me because of my acne.

In my teen years, by fear people would not accept me, I tended to stay away.

My acne is not as severe as it was, but with the years, I realize now that I'm kind of afraid to go to people. So, yes, the acne can go, but we also have to work on the psychological effects also.

And just yesterday, a friend of mine told me that her daugther was beginning to have acne. I told him to have it treated as soon as possible, talking about the possible psychological effects, hoping she could avoid what I went through.

Neo

before i went on accutane, i thought that without acne, id be pretty much completely happy with the way i look, but now that the acne is fading, i notice other things about myself i'd like to change. vicious cycle...

Guest Mankind

I think most people will find something wrong with their skin/body even if they have, had or never had it at all.

I think most people will find something wrong with their skin/body even if they have, had or never had it at all.

In fact, it's more or less like overweight people.

Many think that if they lose so mush, they will be happier.

But it's more complicated that that. :shock:

I remember someone I've met many years ago. He has been burned to the face. His skin color was like red wine. BUT, he was such a nice guy that after a few minutes, I didn't care anymore about his apparence. He seems so in peace with himself. It made me think!!! :think:

Neo

Guest Mankind

but the severity is worse cause of acne. cause when you have it, your appearance is the only thing on your mind.

but with after acne I can't go a day without looking in the mirror5/6 times anymore and my face is miles better than it once was.

Yeah I think you guys are right... acne really makes one aware of his appearance a lot. I'm the same way, I used to look in the mirror from time to time, more then most guys, I tend to think. But now, I'm really sensitive towards people's remarks about my appearance and look in the mirror a lot. I guess it's important to realize that you are who you are. There are some things you were simply born with and are completely natural. It's important to love yourself for who you really are