Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ooggie

Proactiv- is it working for you?

I've got a love-hate relationship with ProActiv.

I started using it back in '99 as well... and it did wonders for me. I recently started to break out like crazy which is why I ended up here. I tried to use Normaderm but I hated the way it made my skin feel. I caved and ordered the ProActiv again and am seeing some good results.

It's like it dangles clear skin in front of your face... you get to see how the "other half" without acne lives and it's great! Then it stops working and it's almost twice as bad because now you know what it's like to be clear and to me, seems like more of a kick in the teeth when you break out again.

Argh.

So giving ProActiv another go, and reducing/eliminating my sugar intake.

wow, what can i say about proactive

-it didnt clear up any of my acne

-it left my face HORRIBLY dry.i was flaking everywhere

-it actually hurt my face, as in it stung pretty badly

well thats just my story, of course i guess its different for everyone.maybe it could help clear up mild acne, but if you have anything more than mild i wouldnt suggest proactive.your best off going to the dermatologist, no matter what kind of acne you have.it might be more difficult in places other than the US since you have to get referred but if you live in the US then i highly suggest going to the derm.An appointment doesnt cost much, and even less with insurance if it covers the appointment too.&if you do have insurance then it should help pay for any acne medications you get because it is a disease.

my experience with visiting the dermatologist was very pleasant.they took a good look at my face and we talked about family history etc for a while.They prescribe you a topical(s) and maybe a antibiotic;or maybe accutane if its severe.&if you have insurance where you co-pay then it shouldnt be too hard on your wallet, i only ended up paying $5 for my antibiotic, $5 for my bacne wipes, and $13 for my topical. ive only been on these things for 4 days now and im starting to clear up.

i think you could save yourself a lot of money by going to a derm rather than dishing out $50 dollars or so every month or two for some 'system' that might do more harm than good.

sorry for the rant, just thought id share this

I've been using ProActiv for a long time, and it's the only thing that keeps my skin relatively clear. I still get some breakouts, but nothing like what I had before I started ProActiv. At this point, I'm afraid of stopping it and trying anything else.

My skin must be really tough, because I've never had any irritation or flaking or anything from using ProActiv. I hope they never stop making ProActiv; I don't know what I'd use.

I've been using ProActiv for a long time, and it's the only thing that keeps my skin relatively clear. I still get some breakouts, but nothing like what I had before I started ProActiv. At this point, I'm afraid of stopping it and trying anything else.

My skin must be really tough, because I've never had any irritation or flaking or anything from using ProActiv. I hope they never stop making ProActiv; I don't know what I'd use.

like others, it worked for me very well at first. then after about 6 months, it stopped. so i stopped. i have a friend who had the same thing happen, so she stopped, then eventually went back. it made her skin worse. needless to say, she won't be going back.

Yeah that stuff is WAAAAAAY too expensive, considering it inevitably will stop working eventually. It worked for me for a couple of years and then seemingly overnight it just...didnt.

I'm kinda glad tho because now my $ goes to more worthy stuff anyway.

It kept me almost 100% clear for about 3 years. Was the only thing that worked for me. Then I started breaking out. It just wasn't working as well. So I stopped using it. A few months later I got a massive breakout, so I started it up again. Used it 8 full weeks, basically NO change in my acne. In fact, it pretty much got worse during that time. Finally went to a dermatologist albeit too late. I have lots of scars now. So my experience was...fantastic for a while, then it didn't help at all anymore. :(

I didnt get good results from proactive. None of it dried me out but I wasnt satisfied with how much you got for two months for $60. :snooty:

ive been using proactice for a week now and i noticed about 5 days into using it it made my face much more oiler and shiner. I emailed the company and they said that it should clear up after 2 weeks into the product. For the last two days ive only used the renewing cleanser and the repairing lotion and not the revitalizing toner. My face is way less oily, but should i start using it again and see if it stops after the two weeks? Im REALLY scared of breakouts and have a phobia of oil on my face.

\

It's like it dangles clear skin in front of your face... you get to see how the "other half" without acne lives and it's great! Then it stops working and it's almost twice as bad because now you know what it's like to be clear and to me, seems like more of a kick in the teeth when you break out again.

I decided to post a good reveiw for proactiv since I keep seeing all these horrible reviews of the product, I've been using it for 3 1/2 years now, but I didn't acheive flawless skin until last year. And trust me my acne did not just go away, if I stop using it a month later i'll be full blown broken out.

If anyone tried this product and it doesn't seem to be working I can help, I've done all the "what not to do's" possible. But seriously it works if you give it a chance

that's exactly my story... 100%

i've been using it for 19 or 20 weeks. my face is 100% better. i still get pimples, but they are never like what it was before i used proacitv. i love it.

it's worked for some people, and it hasn't worked for others. personally, it kept my skin under control without ever achieving any results. note that i've used it for 4 years; it just happened so because i didn't know what else to do. thankfully i found acne.org ;)

My experience w/ Proactiv is that is works a miracle for you during the first 2 months or so of usage, then afterwards, your skin seems to become immune to it, and your skin slowly loses its flawless-ness.

When I used Proactiv back in my freshman year, my skin was seriously @ the top of its game. I remember I seriously had like NO new blemishes form while on Proactiv - and this was like for a good half year or so. Proactiv's Refining Mask was the shit, but it just sucks that you can run out quickly and the sulfur also smells pretty funky. I loved their Step 3 Repairing Lotion as well (it smelled and felt SO good on my face), but the product size was so damn small.

Looking back, I feel bad dropping $80-ish on a new kit from the Proactiv stand at the mall every 2 months or so - what a bust ...think of all the skincare products I could have gotten @ a drugstore w/ all that cash. -_____-

I think it works more for the people who have flawless skin and just want to prevent a zit or two. If you have sever acne, don't even bother. I love the mask though! It's expensive as hell, I bet my family has spent hundreds on it but whatever its OKAY. nothing extraordinary.

I had an okay experience with Proactiv. I used it religiously for about 5 years. It never gave me a "flawless" complexion but it did help keep the big ones away and i'd only break out once in awhile. My problem with it was that my skin tone was all off. So when I went off of it about 6 months ago to try something new...my face exploded in cystic acne. =( I freaked out and immediately went back on it. To my dismay, it no longer worked for me. I tried to stick with it for a few months but there was just no improvement. Now i'm getting on Accutane. I don't blame Proactiv...but I do think that your skin gets, for lack of a better word, addicted to the stuff. Won't allow you to ever change your regimen unless you wanna deal with the horrifying consequences. Now i'm just praying that Accutane will take care of what Proactiv didn't.

I used proactive when I was younger and my acne was REALLY bad, after only 2 days everyone noticed a big improvement. My skin was semi-clear for a 3 months or so. After that it just kind of stopped working. My doctor told me to stop using it.

A couple months later I started using it again, but after a week or so it still wasnt doing anything. Plus it made my skin flake, and burn and itch. Their moisturizer didnt work to solve this either.

I used it for 1.5 years with little to no results.. Not worth the money.

Go look up botchla's regime of C&C products, it made me 90% clear, no joke.