Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JPosey30311

Contemplating Accutane for Oil/Mild Acne.

Well, the acne is mild I guess, I mainly just get tiny pimples and whiteheads and blackheads, but right now the bottom half of my forehead is covered in little pimples. I always have whiteheads pop up out of nowhere, anywhere on my face. Any part of my face can break out, I dont really have 'problem areas'. Im on differin right now. It has gotten me to only having small pimples, where my acne was closer to moderate before. Ive also been taking Benzamycin for a while. It helps, I guess. My pores are also huge. it looks TERRIBLE. My skin is rough and a definitley a little discolored from these topicals as well. the main problem is the oil. I HAVE to wipe the oil off my face every 2 hours. The oil production is insane, and just highlights my rough skin and pimples.

I wanna go on accutane. I cant live with this whole 'wiping oil off face every two hours' routine. Its interrupting my life, you see? I thought a while back I had rosacea because Id get hot and start flushing whenever I got upset or was in a hurry and under stress or anything. I was told from THREE doctors (yes, I REALLY needed reassurance) that I didnt have rosacea, and the flushing was from anxiety. It really seemed like I had rosacea symptoms. Just hearing that from them decreased the amount of times I flush regularly by probly 75%. I guess they are right, arent they, considering I have very dark skin (italian) and am a 17 year old male with no rosacea in my family? So anyway, I hear accutane can CAUSE rosacea. Should I be worried about that? Also, would this be pointless, would the oil just all return after I stop accutane? Or does the oil production permanently stay lower?

Someone give me advice!

Nope, The pictures on my myspace/facebook are of course either old, or I wait until a realllyyy good week when I am close enough to clear to take 50 pictures from a certain distance till I get the perfect facial expression and pathedically post it up and watch girls comment like 'wow your a cutie!' knowing that.... so much effort went into the pictures lol.

Docs dont prescribe Tane for oil but they should. There is having oily skin vs.extremely oily skin. Oil beads outta my pores 15 min. after washing and its disgusting. It really does affest my quality of life. I know how miserable you feel. I have cystic acne as well so Im on Tane and it halted my oil. Although, after Tane I expect it to come back but not quite as bad. So yes most of time it does come back but not as bad. Tane shrinks the oil glands.

Since you do have acne in combo with real bad oil you may can find a derm. that might just tell them how it affects your quality of life and break down crying.

I know exactly what you're going through, I've had extremely oily skin for years, as well as mild to moderate acne (more mild than anything). I went on accutane after having huge! reservations because of all the side effects, and, my oily face, which was probably worse for me than the acne, STOPPED in 2 weeks. It was so unbelievable. 4 months later, I can't even remember what it's like to have an oily face! But since i'm about to end my accutane, I am sort of afraid that my oil will come back, but if it does i dont think it will be as bad. If it is bad, even slightly bad, I'll go right back on accutane.

My advice: Get Accutane now. There are so many posts that talk about all the horrible side effects, but just ignore all of it. The drug isnt that bad at all, the rare but serious side effects wont happen to you if you are in semi decent health and watch how your health progresses closely. After taking it for a month, you'll be shocked by why the instant and ONLY cure to oily skin and acne was not prescribed to you LONG ago. In most countries, they hand this stuff out like candy. But they hold back in the US because of false reports about depression, mostly because some stupid senators kid commited suicide while on the drug. Also, doctors are always afraid of getting sued by emos who take the drug, slash their wrists, and then sue by blaming their emotional state on the drug.

Get this drug as soon as possible, you will love it.

My face was SUPER oily. In almost every picture I could see the shine coming from my face. It would get oily so quick too. I've been on accutane for 3 weeks and have NO oil on my skin. Its amazing.

ahhh.... i showed these to my mom shes kind of skeptical too haha my next door neighbor was on it a few years ago and i guess his mom was telling my mom he had to carry around a bottle of water constantly because he got so dehydrated and had to wake up in the middle of the night to drink water and always had to put lotion all over his body and felt bad the whole time... but hey i see him now when he comes home from college. totally COMPLETELY clear when previously he had it severe. he has gotten kinda fat though, lol. kind of a trade off i guess. anyways, thanks.

I was extremely oily pre-accutane. During accutane and post accutane my face has produced a "normal" amount of oil and I don't have to worry about it any more.

However... Accutane is a very serious drug, and if you have mild acne that fluctuates, I'm not sure I would recommend it. A year later I'm having to petition my school to remove my "accutane semester"'s worth of bad grades (D's and F's), etc. It was not a good 6 months for me. The clear skin is wonderful, but it's a heavy drug to take for mild acne.

Id drop out of school if it meant hardly and acne/oil for the next few years. Im a senior and plan to start the day after graduation (around may 20th or so) , then hopefully i should be clear by the time i leave for college about 3 months later.

i can't see why you don't qualify for accutane. my skin sounds a lot like yours, VERY VERY OILY except with cystic acne, and not a lot of whiteheads/blackheads. i remember exactly what you're talking about...just 20 minutes after washing my face it would be oily. my makeup would never last me through the day and the crazy amount of oil was at the root of many of my breakouts. i think you should give it a shot with the dermatologist. most of them are very understanding about the psychological effects of having acne-- explain how it makes you feel bad and maybe they will help you out.

as for me, my skin is amazingly oil-free on accutane, and i've actually been really surprised because i've even had dry patches now and then. i'm part italian too, so trust me, i know oily skin!

also, as other people have said, don't underestimate the seriousness of accutane. it's a really intense medication. i've had serious headaches, sore joints, chapped and bleeding lips, and much more and i'm only in my 2nd month of treatment. the pure intensity of the drug can be draining, both physically and mentally. so weigh your decision carefully, and respect what your dermatologist suggests to you. if accutane's not right for you, hopefully they'll find something else that is. good luck!!!!!

what the hell? my mom siad her psychologist said theres no way any dermatologist would ever give me accutane because my acne is so mild. what the hell? he must not be able to see me that well. frm a distance it looks like i have 0 pimples, get right in my face na it looks like my face made up of thousands of tiny pimples. and noones face is as oily as mine! mine is probly worse than that other kid that posted a few above this. very similar. i wanna stop worrying about this its the only thing thats holding me back in life. i would (honestly) be a parapalegic for the rest of my life if i could have 0 oil and 0 pimples ever. My last dermatolgist wouldnt prescribe it either. However, theres this team of derms that run this little place and i used to go there for blue light or something. soph year my acne was probly a little better than now, nad my face wasnt that oily at all. (now its massively oily!!) and they said, if all else failed i should consider letting them give me accutane. so now theyll probly hand it over no problem. but my mom wont call the place! what is everyones deal with accutane. im turning 18 soon and can do it on my own, but only hve about $5000 in my bank account, between derm appts and blood tests and the pills, wouldnt that just about empty my life savings?

and noones face is as oily as mine! mine is probly worse than that other kid that posted a few above this. soph year my acne was probly a little better than now, nad my face wasnt that oily at all. (now its massively oily!!)

the extreme amount of oil actually started probly around april or may of last year. but i need to fix it! so, would $4,500 even be enough for tane?

Hello, I am in the exact same situation. I have RIDICULOUSLY oily face, with quite a few "normal" pimples at any given time, and occasional cysts that scar pretty badly. I've been using Retin-A since October which, after the IB, really helped calm down the constant inflammatory/cystic acne.

I've just gotten tired of people asking why I'm "sweating so much". I'm sick of accidentally touching my nose, or forehead, and seeing all that disgusting oil (and knowing it's just a tiny fraction of what's on my face). So, I made an appointment at a derm's office two weeks ago. I got a physician's asst., and she was EXTREMELY skeptical that I was a candidate for accutane - I had suggested an ultra-low dose, which from what I've read can be just as effective for eliminating oil without as many side effects. At this office, she said, it was a full dose or nothing. Although she kept trying to talk me out of it, I persisted, and after consulting with a doctor she agreed to prescribe it if I wanted to. (As a male, she did say that if I were female there would be absolutely NO chance I'd get accutane.)

I would have agreed to a low dose (0.25-0.5mg/kg/day) right away. However, since they will only prescribe a normal dose (1mg/kg/day - that's 80mg/day for me), I told her I would think about it. In the meantime she gave me Tazorac samples, along with a prescription for 0.1% Tazorac gel. (More effective than Retin-A, by the way. No improvement in oil, though.)

I know there are many risks associated with Accutane - and I'm having a very hard time justifying using a medication which could adversely affect my OVERALL health for something that's essentially cosmetic. However, clear skin could REALLY improve my mental and social well-being...dare I say change my life? As a sophomore in college, I'm just sick of waiting to "grow out of it".

Bottom line... If you decide Accutane is best for you, go to the derm's office and know your facts. If you're a minor, your parent will have to consent to accutane (there is a form to sign). Research the drug, its possible side effects, what to expect, etc. ( https://www.ipledgeprogram.com/PatientInformation.aspx ) Be persistent but not rude - and I don't recommend the crying trick; you'll have less chance of getting it if they think you may be depressed.

Good luck.... and I'll keep everyone posted if I decide to go on it myself. Cheers!

Hello again. After writing all of that above, I decided to bite the bullet and go for Accutane. Hey, controlled Vitamin A poisoning sounds like fun!

The appointment's Tuesday (!!!) and I'm already nervous as hell. Cheers!

I don't consider my acne to be very bad and I'm starting in the beginning of April...(iPledge, need I say more?)

BUT my acne is VERY persistant and I've tried numerous topicals and also tetra and doxy which neither helped much.

I get cysts but they are not all over.

I get them around my mouth, cheeks and jawlines. They take FOREVER to go away and leave the red marks behind.

I also get smaller acne but not as much.

I usually clear up but a few days will pass and I'll breakout all over again. Tiredsome cycle.

So all my family and friends don't think I need accutane but I beg to differ.