Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apple_Blossem

Acne - One of the symptoms of too much Chlorine/Fluoride and Thyroid Disfunction

Because the head of the University of Toronto apologized about pushing fluoride in everything we eat and has explained that we are getting a form of "fluoride poisoning," I am beginning to research whether the poisonous types of fluoride we are consuming would be causing the nation's acne problem.

It is interesting that we've been consuming for Fluoride for 50 years. We've also had serious acne that long - so many people have cystic acne and all other types of related problems.

Fluoride and Chlorine (used in city water - sodas, coffee, soup) cause Thyroid Dysfunction.

It is interesting that Thyroid dysfunction is one of the leading complaints in the United States.

Some of the symptoms of Thyroid dysfunction is: Acne, ADHD, Abnormal Sweating, Learning Disorders, Allergies, Alopecia (Hair-loss)

If you want to try a fluoride and/or Chlorine free diet, it is in the following foods:

-All beverages at restaurants (coffee, sodas, water, "juices" (made from concentrate))

-Bottled water (they usually dont say).

-Soups

-Soy/Almond milks

-Watery foods

Try to aim for distilled water for a few weeks. You can buy gallons of distilled water for .50 cents at the grocery store. It is completely chemical free for your experiment. See if your acne lets up.

I see zero connection in fluoride and my acne, and I ditched fluoride toothpaste awhile ago. Also, my city is one of the few large ones that doesn't fluoridate water. I believe mercury plays more of a role than fluoride.

LOL xtr3m- that's funny :P

R.S. Do you think there is any way to find IF they put any chemicals into the water of non fluorodated cities? Like, They may not add Fluoride, but they might add Chlorine (chlorox!) to the water to keep bactera from growing in it... and perhaps those chemicals are harming humans (and some people develope acne and other problems).

How do they keep your city water clean?

Some of us on this board try to eliminate most chemicals from our diet to see if it affects our acne.

Most of us do not even THINK about the Chlorine (and other toxic chemicals) that are added to our water to keep it clean (that kill other living organisms in it).

Although Fluoride is not added in some city water, other harsh chemicals are liberally added.

Chlorine touches our skin every day (the shower) and is run through our system everytime we have a beverage while at a restaurant, and sometimes in our own homes. This is a very harsh chemical (and most people on this message board try to use the most "NATURAL" soap they can find!! - But run toxic chemicals through their body every single day!)

A little info about Chlorine: A highly volatile toxic chemical (one well known form includes Chloroform) that has been identified in many municipal drinking-water supplies. The National Academy of Sciences has estimated that about 1000 people may die in the U.S. each year from cancers caused by ingesting these contaminants in water. Although this is a small number of people, Chlorine also greatly reduces Thyroid function - Which IS one of the most common complaints in the United States and in countries where Chlorine is added to the water.

It is also known that using hot water in the shower liberates the chlorine gases into the air and is then absorbed into our lungs and into the bloodstream.

The bottom line: Chlorine also greatly reduces thyroid function. Drugs that aid thyroid dysfunction are one of the top five prescribed drugs in the United States.

It seems to me that we would all do our bodies a great favor by purchasing distilled water for awhile and seeing if our acne (which is also one of the symptoms of Thyroid Dysfunction) is helped.

Chlorine and/or flourine MAY contribute to some conditions which result in acne in some people, but there is no one big cause of acne. I have a shower filter and I've been drinking filtered water for years (and not a britta filter, but a high-tech one that does get rid of the chorine). Never did anything for my acne. I've been tested for thyroid dysfuntion and was normal.

I would focus on what's going on INTERNALLY (even if it may have been caused by external forces), instead of trying to control the external forces around you, which is infinitely more difficult and probably impossible, not to mention extremely stressful. You simply can't get away from all chemicals. They are in clothing, furniture, carpet, countertops, computers, cell phones, cleaning agents, toilet paper and tampons are bleached, water, air, food, etc. Hell, they're now finding that the hard plastic water bottles do indeed leach. You can avoid some of them, and I think that's smart; buying organic, drinking filtered water, etc, but you just can't get rid of all of them unless you want to drive yourself insane Your best defense is to eat lots of vegetables, get all your nutrients, exercise, sleep and destress.

Although there is no major one cause of acne, a lot of people on this board are striving to get rid of most chemicals (ie. Emu oil soap? :P Olive oil soap?:P)

And although there are many chemicals, the ones that we are injesting will affect us more than the ones in the countertop, carpet, furniture and clothing.

Several people on this board do not use plastic boxes because they do leach... and use natural forms of paper and no paint in their house to promote healthy living.

This post was aimed at those people - the people trying to start from scratch (like fasting) to see what is causing their acne...and willing to look at one more facet of the picture.

And although there may not be one big cause for acne, Thyroid Dysfunction is one of the top five most common problems in the United States at the moment. There will be people who will be willing to avoid this chemical in order to see if their acne subsides.

Actually household cleansers are among the worst offenders, I'd say a lot more dangerous than chlorinated water. I know in Canada/US they are only required to label chemicals that could pose immediate danger to your health. Combustibles, flammables, acids, what do do if certain chemicals are ingested, etc... What they do in many European countries is list the chemicals that have shown some evidence that they cause cancer or something term. Not that this really would stop anyone from using it over here because most people don't want to use vinegar even though the smell goes away.

I also find it funny that many of you that are going away from chlorine because of Thyriod problems associated with it (I know it's valid) when some of the same people openly oppose taking in too much iodine. I hope that you people are getting it through fish because it seems you are cutting out all the rest of the good sources of this. Even with all the sources of iodine now, some countries are still talking about mild defeciencies in the general population. It may sound rediculous but take out all animal sources, iodised salt, certain things like kelp and seaweed and you are left with basically fish to give you an adequate amount. I believe in Aus and NZ they are showing defeciencies and they are surrounded by fish.

Although there is no major one cause of acne, a lot of people on this board are striving to get rid of most chemicals (ie. Emu oil soap? :P Olive oil soap?:P)

And although there are many chemicals, the ones that we are injesting will affect us more than the ones in the countertop, carpet, furniture and clothing.

I think a low iodine and heavy soy diet is much, much, much more likely to mess up your thyroid.

cjb -- your post was very interesting and shed light on the topic.

I found a chart that tells about water purifiers. Which brand do you have? (if you dont mind me asking, LOL)

I was very surprised that 10 out of 12 brands dont even filter out 2 or 3 of the main chemicals in water. And the majority only filter out about 15% of the chemicals. :shock:

Have you been able to stay away from an weekly soda, coffee, soup, glass of water at restaurants for several months? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to see if I still need to try my chlorine-free diet.)

Actually, from the time I was 0-years-old to 12 years old, I only had access to distilled drinking water (never had anything else). A nutritionalist said I would get my minerals from the green plants I ate and from a healthy diet. I guess I did and everything worked out fine because I never had any health problems while growing up (I'd say I was healthier then than now cuz I have acne now, LOL).

Also, have anyone ever seen the brown "plaque" in pipes after running city or well water through them for one or two years? I know for a fact it permanently stains our pots. It leaves "mineral deposits" which are brown and one nutritionalist suggested that its healthier to avoid this by getting our minerals from plants (which can correctly digest these dirts and rocks without leaving residue on their interiors. Its like trying to avoid "smokers" lung -- running dirty air through our lungs for long term.

Anyway, I know many ppl wont agree with this, however, I grew up on this belief and never had any health problems (thank goodness!).