Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In a nutshell: I've been going to the same derm since I was 11. Now i'm 16.

He prescribed me nothing but topical after topical, and I wrote a list of them.. was about 11 medications long.

None of them have made any change in my acne (which is not severe, maybe moderate) whatsoever. There was a quite a large period of time, about 2 years, that I hadn't seen this dermatologist for. My acne right now is at it's alltime worse, and he prescribed me duac and differin. Knowing that in the past differin was unsuccessful, and the clindamycin topical was as well.

He said come back in 8 weeks, if it isn't working we'll try accutane.

Is it all worth it? Should I waste 2 more months of my life with nasty, pimply (and on top of that flakey, red and itchy from the topicals) skin? I'm so frustrated!

Has this combo worked for anyone else successfully?

I've been on everything... minocycline, doxycycline, bc pills and topicals. Argggh.,,

After getting Tane I also feel like I wasted a lot of time using topicals and antibiotics. They only worked for like 2 months and didn't do much with preventing cysts. I say just use them for 2 months and then get your Tane.

I say just use them for 2 months and then get your Tane.

i agree. even if accutane is the only realistic option to kill the bionic acne that so many people around here have, most derms can't/won't just give it right away. from the doctor's side of things, accutane is supposed to be a "last resort".

if you really want accutane, you're gonna have to play your doc's game and use the topicals for a little while to prove that they won't work, regardless of your past experiences. even if you go to a different doc, it's likely that they'll make you try the topicals & antibiotics before they give you accutane, too. i think it's kinda dumb, and i'm sure many people will agree, but that's just the way it is.

good luck.

i know someone who is on duac and differin, and there skin is basically perfect now, i say try it for a few months. in your case though it may not really help since you have used differin before and it didn't help then. at least you can go on accutane if these topicals you are using don't work. has your derm given you antibiotics? or just topical?

You're looking at one of those people. I've been on the Duac/Differin combo since November, 2006. My skin is pretty much flawless, now.

I am just adding another voice, but I say give it the 2-months (have a STANDING APPOINTMENT 2 months from now) and if it's not better or even perfect, march in there and remind him of what he said.

Good luck!!!