Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VWBoraDriver

What about Diet??

I'm a new member here (and i have acne too), but I've been reading many posts. It looks a bit that most people (and I don't mean all of you) seem to dismiss anyone who mentions the word 'diet'. It's funny, because everyone seems to agree that drinking alot of water has positive effects on your skin, so why wouldn't that apply to the food you ingest? Also, most members whose posts i've read so far, seem to be geared towards the pharmaceutical stuff, and by that i mean topical creams, acids, gels and whatnot. That's fine, I use it too, but anything else seems to be quackery because it wasn't approved by their doc or dermatologist. So in a way, it's like saying "Well, i got stuff from the doc, that means i can eat whatever i want, since there is no medical proof to link diet to acne." But why is that? If you think about it, it makes sense. You can't sell a diet, can you... but you can sell pills and creams. I know this sounds like a rant, but it pisses me off when, for example, i read a post about a person who said eating alot of raisins helped them with their acne. Common responses were that that was BS... Oh yeah? and on what grounds are you making that statement? What I do agree with is when people come here and try to sell their "magic diet cures". If something works well for you, then you should share it as you know what it's like to have an acne problem. I also read another post about dairy not being too good for the skinand for you in general. The replies were similar, saying that that was nonesense. But did youk now that mothers' milk of all mammals contains many different growth hormones and growth factors to stimulate optimal development of the newly born. But in our society nursing babies are not the only ones who consume mothers' milk; older children and adults also consume mothers' milk from cows, goats, sheep, donkeys, and horses. All of this milk contains those same hormones and factors – activating the growth of cells. In normal cells this is not really a problem. This growth stimulating effect is compensated for by the secretion of extra growth-inhibitors. But when the DNA in healthy cells has been damaged, threatening the production of such growth inhibitors, the growth stimulators in milk cause these mutated cells to grow, originating malign tumors. A large number of scientific investigations have revealed that consuming milk increases the risk of prostate cancer, breast cancer, and lung cancer in men. I've been using a diet now for 3 days that was developped for 6 years by a biochemist, not a dermatologist. I have to say that it is beginnig to work even though I was really sceptical. It needs 2 weeks to see if it really works, and the sucess rate of those who have tried it was a little over 90%. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to have an open mind. The human body is the most complicated chemical factory, so it's only natural the the stuff you put down your cakehole will have an effect on the processes of this factory. If you put diesel into a petrol car, you'll have problems, won't you. What I won't do is put the web address of this research on this post because I don't want to be accused of trying to pedal another diet. But this isn't just a 2 page diet.. it has hundreds of pages of information about nutrition and hundreds of sources for people to make their own decisions. I think being well informed is key. Anyways, I'm probably gonna get massive flames thrown at me as it is. If enough people wanna know about it (and it's 100% free) and if the forum moderator would allow it, I'd post the address of the site. Anyways, i think it's beginnig to work for me after 3 days, so we'll see how it goes.

i agree with you. ever since going on mino, i've cut dairy products out of my diet and i notice that i break out less. i also sleep easier and generally have more energy, and besides drinking loads more water, it's the only change i've made to my diet. it's probably different for everybody, but i'm sure diet has an affect on a person's skin to some extent.

I agree also. I had terrible acne for fifteen years, and over the last month I've been trying a whole foods diet (no packaged food, fast food, etc.) without wheat or dairy products, and everyone tells me how great my skin looks now. I still get tiny whiteheads frequently, but no big whiteheads or cysts. I wish I'd known about this fifteen years ago.

i have to disagree with y'all. my acne has never shown any correspondence to my diet, and i think that any correlation between a food type and acne is coincidental in my case. all i know is that ive started the regimen and my diet has stayed the same and my acne is getting better.

It is definatley different for everybody, my diet does affect acne for sure , i always make sure I drink water it makes the biggest difference for sure ..

I eat alot more fruits and vegtables. I drink alot of water...... and sometimes I eat yogurt. I dont eat sugar or caffeine I really do think that caffeine makes me break out. Sometimes I try to drink green tea YUCK! but I just add a tad of honey to it to make it taste better.

Ok, I'll post the site...

What you have to keep in mind is that, unlike what is said in the "myth's" section of Dan's site (where it says that the cause of acne is unknown), this biochemist has a specific approach to the formation of acne and how to adjust your diet in order to prevent the acne from forming. I can't stress enough that you have to read everything (and there quite a bit) in order to understand the science behind the diet so that you don't dismiss it right off the bat. It is a tough diet, but after 3 days the swelling on my face (water retention) went down. That was my first surprise. Then, all the crap I had on my face (and that usually took a long time to finally surface) came up really fast. Obviously after 7 days i'm not cured, but i can't say that nothing happened.

www.freeacnebook.com and www.waisays.com for extra info.

Have an open mind and try it... just might work

I think, some people have acne 'triggers'. For me its Chocolate, whenever I take chocolate I have pimples that appear a few days later and when I went chocolate free for a whole month I only had 1 new pimple in all.

Also drinking alot of water helps alot, maybe not really for getting rid of acne but it does help get your skin to look better.

Yeah I think diet counts for me: CHOCOLATE gives me zits, no doubt.

I switched 2 diet sodas cut out all the sugar stuff & drink lots lots of

water. Im spending more time peeing but I think it really helps make

my skin look so much clearer-- but I dont think it will get rid of pimps once

on your face. So, less sugar + more water, maybe at least 50 oz a day.

Also, I love coffee but I think 2 much caffeine doesnt help, but I'm not

100% sure of that. Getting too agressive w/ acne just makes mijne worse.

Guest Cubsfan

I remember about 2 years ago on the VOY forums everyone jumped on the band waggon following WAI's diet....but WAI got a backlash of complaints from people complaining of feeling nausea, some had to go to hospital...WAI got a terrible pounding of abuse after that (even accused of trying to create a suicide cult)...and that's the last I heard of him.

I can say that WAI's research isn't that thorough. He did a research on B5 and based his results and conclusion on people's testimonies posted on message boards. I'm no scientist but that's not an accurate way to conduct a research study.

The role of diet is perhaps becoming more relevant in the treatment of acne. Dr. Nicholas V. Perricoone, a dermatologist has written several books that cover a range of skin care problems from acne to wrinkles, and the adherence to an anti-inflammatory diet is one of the important factors, as well as ingested and topical preparations (medications)

When you think about it, acne is an inflammatory process. Anything we can do to decrease the inflammation should help the condition. The food we eat is full of hormones, preservatives and other chemicals. Focus on more whole foods, and fewer convenience foods. Foods to avoid specifically are dairy, wheat, eggs, corn products (chips, etc) CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, citrus red meat (beef and esp pork) and sugar and artificial sweeteners. Also peanuts and peanut butter. It does take some commitment to follow a healthier diet/lifestyle. Our society and culture does not help with compliance and has also generated an expectation of the quick fix. I agree with the original poster, that the role of diet should not be dismissed. Traditionally it has not been well-studied because western medicine is focused on just that...medicine...and what can we synthetically develop that might help while it makes a lot of money for us and the drug companies.

It is surprising that more of you young people are not more in tune to alternatives..especially with some of the attitudes about trends such as "mineral make-up" no animal testing philosophies, and other attitudes about "natural' products that come through in the postings.

Dietary changes should be viewed with an open mind and maybe a little investigation and research.