Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stimpy

Do you have to be on BCP to go on Spiro?

I really hate how I feel on BCP. I either breakout more, gain weight, irregular periods, or depression! I was on Diane-35 for 3 years and it did keep me clear for awhile. I went off 2 years ago and my skin hasn't recovered at all. Big, painful zit all over, especially near my jawline and chin. I am so frustrated I could cry. Someone suggested I try Spiro. However, from the reviews I read, a lot of people seem to be on BCP as well. I really hope I can take it without BCP. I'm going to a new derm on Friday and I just want to prepare myself. TIA!

You do not have to be on bc pills to take spiro. Spiro sometimes messes with your cycle and that is why people take both even if they don't need it for birth control. You can get spotting just taking spiro alone.

Because they both effect the hormones. One is usually enough, but they may put you on both if the doctor feels it's necessary. What you are trying to acheive is a proper hormonal balance, you don't want to swing it too far to the other extreme.

Well, for what it is worth, my derm said he WOULDN'T put me on spironolactone unless I was also taking the bcp. He said it is because if I were to get pregnant unexpectedly the baby could have birth defects. I burst into tears right there in his office because I have polycystic ovaries as well as an adrenal dysfunction which means I am infertile! Plus, I get pretty wiggy on bcp too. So, my endocrinologist prescribed them without bcp. 5 weeks now, acne has only worsened, but I'm only on 25 mg. We'll see.

Well, for what it is worth, my derm said he WOULDN'T put me on spironolactone unless I was also taking the bcp. He said it is because if I were to get pregnant unexpectedly the baby could have birth defects. I burst into tears right there in his office because I have polycystic ovaries as well as an adrenal dysfunction which means I am infertile! Plus, I get pretty wiggy on bcp too. So, my endocrinologist prescribed them without bcp. 5 weeks now, acne has only worsened, but I'm only on 25 mg. We'll see.