Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
routhman

Need Various Suggestions...

I have moderate acne and I'm going to the derm at 4:45 eastern time today --> 3 hours, 15 minutes away. After my appointment, I'm going to go immediately to the pharmacy and pick up my prescription (whatever my derm prescribes). At the pharmacy, I'm also going to buy new shampoo, a cleanser, and a moisturizer. I'm wondering what OTC shampoos, cleansers, and moisturizers do not cause acne.

Well, I have learned that more chemicals do not mean less acne.

The skin absorbs 60% of the stuff you topically apply to it right into the bloodstream - whether it is soap, moisturizers, water, etc.

I've had acne for twelve years now and am discovering that more natural is better. Btw, the things that you topically apply to your skin do not cause acne (unless you have an allergy) but rather... what you are eating or not eating is the cause. You probably have a deficiency in something (and this doesnt have to be a vitamin or mineral. It can be a Mineral salt (which is needed to absorb minerals better) or a hormone that is out of balance).

The only thing your doctor will give you is antibiotics that dry your skin. As I learned, this will not cure your problem in the long run (he wont care if you have a deficiency and that this is how your body is trying to tell you), he'll only put you on a chemical to "gag" your body and not allow it to "tell" you it has a problem.

Go to a health food store and buy 100% pure olive oil soap or 100% pure Shea butter soap. (Olive oil soap is about $2. Shea butter is about $13).

Both are moisturizers and have been used as soaps for the last 5,000 years (and is still used in the expensive spas and rejeuvenation centers since they work so well and dont dry the skin out.)

I will second Apple_Blossem on the chemicals thing. I now only use all-natural skincare treatments and have stopped using commercial products completely (unless they are all natural).

Olive Oil is good for your skin and if you're interested in an all-natural cleansing method that really works, I recommend the Oil Cleansing Method. I have made a thread about it here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=141871

When done properly, you don't need a moisturizer afterward.

Also, if you want to try a toner, I have a recipe up that uses apple cider vinegar, green tea and jojoba oil that works great for me. It's here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=141924

Good luck!

I used to agree with both of you, Banabas and Apple_Blossem. However, I've tried quite a few natural remedies (zinc, vit. E, vit. A, B5, green tea, aloe, Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Olive Oil, and Apple Cider Vineger) with no success. Actually, in trying those natural remedies, my skin became much, much worse that it had ever been before. And now I am left with many more red marks and pimples for having tried them. Nonetheless, I do appreciate your suggestions.

And thank you too, sephora.