Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neo2

Electric shaver

Which of rotary or foil shaver provides the closest shave???

I'm currently using a Philishave 4401 (rotary), but I don't get a real good shave.

I've tried disposable shavers, but I get acne 1-2 days after.

A friend of mine bought a Remington (foil) lately and said that it's shaving closer than the rotary he was using before.

Also, should the blades be desinfected between each shave???

If so, what should I use???

Thanks

Neo

Thanks for the reference Maverick.

But I wonder how we can get a close shave with a trimmer.

Any special techniques?

Is it as close as using a disposable shaver???

Neo

If you're sensitive to shaving, i.e. you get a rash or acne after, you should get less irritation with a rotary beard trimmer than a foil one. Unfortunately the nature of the rotary trimmer means you'll never get as close a shave as you would with a foil shaver or wet shave so i guess its just a case of working out your priority.

Unfortunately the nature of the rotary trimmer means you'll never get as close a shave as you would with a foil shaver or wet shave so i

Unfortunately the nature of the rotary trimmer means you'll never get as close a shave as you would with a foil shaver or wet shave so i

Well, I guess I'll stick with the rotary then. :confused:

With a wet shave, I get a rash everytime. I've tried different products, but the result is always the same. :doubt:

Neo

But surprisingly, after only two days, by using hydratation as per the regime, morning and evening, I feel an improvement. (I've started on Retisol-A at night).

I don't have a closer shave, but my skin doesn't feel as irrated (of course) :dance: And it's not getting oily as mush during the day.

Go figure why the 3 derms I've seen in 20 years never told me about it!!! :angry:

I should have found this site so many years ago :D

Neo

For anyone who is also using an electric shaver, what do you do if anything to clean it regularly?

I shave first thing in the morning and before I wash my face or anything so my face is dry when shaving since it is an electric razor. However, any oil or bacteria from my face must collect on the blades and surface. I'll wash it every so often as the manual states (once every few months), but this obviously cannot be enough. I'm hesitant to just rinse with water everyday as I think it will make the blades dull faster. I heard that if you use a disposable razor that soaking it in rubbing alcohol the whole time between shaves sterilizes it and will significantly make the blade stay sharper much longer. The frame holding the blades on my electric snap off easily so I could do this and soak it, but I'd still have to rinse with water at some point every time (don't want to be applying rubbing alcohol to my face!). I think this would make the blades last not as long, and they are definitely not cheap to replace.

If anyone has found a method of cleaning that works, please share! Also, switching to a disposable is out of the question, I've always found I somehow irritate my skin more with them.

I remove the head from the razor (rotaty) and put it in rubbing alcohol after I've shaved in the morning, making sure I remove as mush hair as I can with the razor brush.

When I get back from work, I remove the excess rubbing alcohol with a facial tissus and let it dry for the next morning.

I was doing it meaby once a month. But I'm now doing it every day for the past week. It may sound funny, but it feels 'fresh' everytime.

A good way to remove all the hairs, is using a vacuum cleaner!!! :shock:

I know that Remington has models that automatically clean thenselves. I imagine you could only use the cleaning solution.

I've also looked on Phillishave. The also have a solution that is water based.

How often should we change the blades?

Neo

I always found that a rotary shaver was best for me. I did try a foil razor but it really irritated my skin.

I shave when I first get up in the morning and then wash my face afterwards. Every day I rinse the head of my razor under really hot running water and leave it to dry on the radiator until the next morning.

When I shave I run the shaver one stroke against my beard growth in each area - I never go across the same area twice. I'm not bothered about getting a close shave though, so maybe having slight stubble with this method would be a problem with some people.

If you shave against the grain of your beard growth, you should get a close enough shave. I tend to be of the opinion that if you shave too close you risk getting ingrown hairs and pimples etc. Maybe it's because I'm prone to them......

I was shaving before taking my shawer.

But I do it after now, waiting a bit to make sure my skin is dry.

It removes the oil from my skin and it's easier to shave.

Neo

Hey thanks for the info. Neo2, I like the vacuum idea, I never even thought of that.. Well, I'll give the rubbing alcohol a try, I'm a little weary I will get it all off with just tissues though. Hopefully, I can find the Norelco solution somewhere locally and try that too.

Souvenir, with washing with water everyday, after how long do you have to replace the blades?

Hey thanks for the info. Neo2, I like the vacuum idea, I never even thought of that.. Well, I'll give the rubbing alcohol a try, I'm a little weary I will get it all off with just tissues though. Hopefully, I can find the Norelco solution somewhere locally and try that too.

Souvenir, with washing with water everyday, after how long do you have to replace the blades?

My shaver's washable and made by Philips. I've been doing this for about 18 months now and haven't noticed any detrimental effect on the blades. I've had the razor for about 2 years or more, I can't find the exact model online but this seems to be a more updated model of mine -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HQ7120-Rec...4047&sr=1-1

Souvenir, quick question for you.

Is the razor flexible head making a big difference??? :think:

Neo

I've bought the cleaner form Philishave to try it out.

It says that it's also lubricating the blades. Hopefully, reducing irritation.

Neo