Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone! I'm so excited to finally be posting my Accutane log, after lurking and trying to help others with questions about Accutane on what I've read and found information on. But now I'll be able to say from experience :D

My name is Haylie (obviously) and I'm fifteen, and unlike most, I've been suffering from acne since I was nine years old. It was all on my upper lip for years and I tried everything, but as I got older it just spread across my face, now my problem area is mostly my chin. I usually get whiteheads and the occasional cyst, especially around my period. I have blackheads on my nose and just weird stuff in my skin I know Accutane will get out :D

I was going to take Accutane about a year ago but I am extremely scared of needles and my parents were worried about my mental condition so we decided I shouldn't go on it. But after another year of suffering I finally am going to get the drug that will cure me for good! And I got a prescription of Valium for blood draws (and let me tell you, that stuff works :wacko: )

I get my prescription written tomorrow, meaning I'll hopefully get it filled on March 1st. I'm so excited, and a bit nervous. The only symptoms I'm worried about is turning bright red all the time (I naturally blush all the time anyway, so maybe people won't notice?) and being really dry, since I live in such a high altitude where we have no humidity at all I'll probably experience dry symptoms more severe than most. This is the kind of air up here that when tourists come they can't breathe. Ah mountain air.

For Accutane I'll be using:

Cleanser: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Moisturizer (AM): Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15

Moisturizer (PM): Cetaphil Cream Moisturizer

Oil: Vitamin E Oil 5000 IU

Chapstick: Burt Bee's and Dr. Dan's Cortibalm

Shampoo: Aussie Moist Shampoo

Conditioner: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Vitamins + Minerals:

Zinc - 50mg

Fish Oils (omega-3) - EPA 432mg DHA 228mg

B-Complex with Pantothenic Acid - 20mg

Calcium - 1000mg

Chromium - 350 mcg

Okay, I think that about covers it :pray::lol:

Everyone seems really nice on these boards so hopefully I'll get lots of support and find some people who are starting near me. Thanks for reading, sorry this was so long, check back often for my progress if you please. I'll also have photos posted in the gallery if you'd like to check them out.

Thanks for reading, Kimberley Kitty!

Day 1

Popped my first pill today about 30 minutes after dinner. I found out this nice guy in our school musical (and takes guitar from the same teacher as me, we have lessons back to back) took accutane from the same derm I did (though this is a very small town and we only have one :P) but I was glad that I'm not the only one. :)

Oh, sorry, I should let everyone know my dose is 40mg a day. I was actually surprised, she said this was considered a very "low" dose. And I'm small, I was thinking when she said that she was going to say 10 or 20. As for my face, I have one funny (cyst but not really?) big red thing below my lip and random things on my chin, but it's of course when I start Accutane that my skin looks better than it has in a while :\ I tried posting pictures and the gallery wasn't working for me, so I think I'll try tomorrow.

Bring on the tane!

Awesome, glad to hear you're starting Accutane (started 5 days ago myself). Best of luck!

Hey everyone! I'm so excited to finally be posting my Accutane log, after lurking and trying to help others with questions about Accutane on what I've read and found information on. But now I'll be able to say from experience :D

My name is Haylie (obviously) and I'm fifteen, and unlike most, I've been suffering from acne since I was nine years old. It was all on my upper lip for years and I tried everything, but as I got older it just spread across my face, now my problem area is mostly my chin. I usually get whiteheads and the occasional cyst, especially around my period. I have blackheads on my nose and just weird stuff in my skin I know Accutane will get out :D

I was going to take Accutane about a year ago but I am extremely scared of needles and my parents were worried about my mental condition so we decided I shouldn't go on it. But after another year of suffering I finally am going to get the drug that will cure me for good! And I got a prescription of Valium for blood draws (and let me tell you, that stuff works :wacko: )

I get my prescription written tomorrow, meaning I'll hopefully get it filled on March 1st. I'm so excited, and a bit nervous. The only symptoms I'm worried about is turning bright red all the time (I naturally blush all the time anyway, so maybe people won't notice?) and being really dry, since I live in such a high altitude where we have no humidity at all I'll probably experience dry symptoms more severe than most. This is the kind of air up here that when tourists come they can't breathe. Ah mountain air.

For Accutane I'll be using:

Cleanser: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Moisturizer (AM): Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15

Moisturizer (PM): Cetaphil Cream Moisturizer

Oil: Vitamin E Oil 5000 IU

Chapstick: Burt Bee's and Dr. Dan's Cortibalm

Shampoo: Aussie Moist Shampoo

Conditioner: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Vitamins + Minerals:

Zinc - 50mg

Fish Oils (omega-3) - EPA 432mg DHA 228mg

B-Complex with Pantothenic Acid - 20mg

Calcium - 1000mg

Chromium - 350 mcg

Okay, I think that about covers it :pray::lol:

Everyone seems really nice on these boards so hopefully I'll get lots of support and find some people who are starting near me. Thanks for reading, sorry this was so long, check back often for my progress if you please. I'll also have photos posted in the gallery if you'd like to check them out.

Day 3

I can definitely tell Accutane has began working, and as much moisturizer I put on my face my face is getting kind of flakey, but not peeling yet. I've been putting on chapstick a lot so my lips aren't that bad. I got a few more pimples around an area on my forehead and by my chin, but I'm not sure if those were destined to come out anyway or if Accutane just sped up the process. I started Accutane not really with a cyst but a large whitehead that never developed and there's nothing in it anymore but it's still a random bump.

Thanks for everyone reading, I'm really busy with our school musical currently (Fiddler on the Roof) so I can barely update, but I do plan to try to update at least once every two days, and when I see some more improvement I'll post more pictures in the gallery (the last few times I tried it wasn't working, so we'll see . . .)

Day 5

Today I went skiing and even though I put on SPF 15 and figured that my face would be covered with my goggles and neck gator the whole time, it was a beautiful day and I took off my helmet and neck gator and goggles at lunch, and even though I burn easily, I burnt in about 15 minutes. I'm not extremely burned, but my face is really red and hot, or perhaps this is just the normal redness with Accutane.

Anyway, for me it's weird because I've been clearing up and not experiencing a breakout at all. I got three new pimples on my forehead on day 3 or so, and they're now gone and not a trace of them even being there. I haven't seen a new pimple and I'm not really getting dry, even my lips. Maybe I'm just doing well with moisturizing. I'm not really sure. I started Accutane being clearer than I've been in a long time to begin with, so maybe I've just hit some good luck. I was even able to go out in public without makeup, which is crazy because I have always felt self-concious, but I feel okay now.

The only thing bothering me are two random bumps that haven't gone away on my chin, one next to my mouth and one where my chin becomes my chin (if that makes any sense whatsoever). I guess I'm just not used to these things because I'm so used to popping and picking them :doh::shock: (which I would've done days ago, even before I started Accutane but I decided to be good, but now they won't go away where they'd be gone by now).

Day 7

Sorry if it sounded like I really don't think Accutane is working, I guess that wasn't it. It's more so that things were getting better, not worse.

However, now I'm definitely seeing how much Accutane has changed me in just a week. I woke up this morning (and the rest of the day) my lips felt as if someone was stretching my lips like plastic wrap. My face is becoming really dry, and I can't tell if it was from being in the sun this weekend or not, but my face is definitely red everywhere but around my eyes (meaning it is most likely from the sun). I guess the "cyst" or whatever a bit below my lip will not budge :\

heya Haylie

1 week already aye i wish u all the best... yeh i remembered few days into the drug, my skin does look abit better or maybe its just all in the mind... but 2nd week was like hell... IB like crazy... then settle in like month 4-5... but looking at ur display picture.. u look pretty clear!!

Yeah, I'm scared of the IB a bit and at the same time excited, but I think it's worth it in the end. I don't have horrible acne and everything seems to be clearing up quickly anyway.

Day 8

My lips constantly need lipbalm, not really because they're dry or cracking, they feel kind of numb without it, it's kind of odd. My face isn't really peeling but I accidentally popped my cyst so now I'm trying to heal it. Other than that, I have a small pimple on my forehead and two near my lips on my cheek, and random bumps on where my chin turns to neck but I'm pretty clear. I've been using Ocean spray nose drops too, I tried putting Vasaline up my nose but it was too weird.

Hey harlie,

Keep it up, you'll be clear in no time.. It's good that your attacking the acne with Roaccutane at a youngish age because it can still recover very easily

Day 9

The days are flying by! My lips feel very weird and always needing chapstick, but it's not a bothersome dry which is okay. My face is looking fine, I'm not really dry at all but I've noticed a difference in my oil, slowly I'm producing less. I'm used to having to take a shower every day but I woke up and my hair wasn't oily and separated at all, and when I came home my makeup wasn't full of oil. I could get used to this! :cool:

Day 11

Things have been going good so far. I might be starting an IB, but I'm not sure - I got a bump on my chin yesterday, I think my worst acne is right under my chin and on my jawline, they aren't the same type of pimples I get on my face, even if they come to a head. Anyway, so one there, and then I got a big one on the side of my face that's red. I'm using my old topical to dot these areas, even though I was advised not to. They're healing faster though, the one on my cheek this morning hurt to touch but it's definitely dying down.

My only bothering symptoms so far are just my lips having a weird texture and my back is very sore. I might need to go get a massage or something soon, because I can't even lie down without my back hurting.

Day 12

It was so nice out today I decided to clean out my car. Unfortunately my hands are now dotted with red bumps everywhere from being so dry from the soap and water I kept dumping my hands in. I must say I feel total sympathy for any scrub for surgeries that's on Accutane. Any lotion burns but the Vitamin E oil helps a little bit.

As for acne, I currently have 1 pimple between my eyebrow and hair, one in the middle of my forehead, one kind of under my eye, one on the side of my face, and a few bumps on my jawline. Besides them being red, they're doing alright. Most of them are very sore though, and any pressure on them hurts a lot. Still using my old acne stuff to help them along. I don't think I'd call this my IB though.

Day 19

It's been a while since I've updated, but nothing much has changed. I just got a nosebleed about an hour ago, but I was blowing my nose. I've not really experience an IB, and if I have, it wasn't out of normalcy. I still do get a pimple about once a day, but they're so small. I need to stop picking them :\ My eyes have also gotten really dry in the past few days, but maybe I'm just tired. I'm not feeling any other symptoms besides dry lips, back pain (I have a massage tomorrow :D), new pimples (but nothing more than what I got before), dry eyes, one nosebleed, and a bit of emotional troubles, but it didn't last but half an hour.

hey haylie! good luck with your accutane trip! we started around the same time so i'll have to check out how your doing from time to time. im sorry about your skin being red and dry though-thank god mine isn't like that(yet) just keep moiturizing like there's no tommorow i hear clinique is good but i think cetaphil is a miracle...

Day 28

It's almost been a month, but I honestly can't say I've seen an improvement. I haven't had an IB, but I've had dry skin and stuff, so apparently it's working - just not on my acne. I still get a pimple about every day, and even though they seem to go away faster than normal, it's still not a large change. I got my bloodwork done and one of my levels went from a 30 to a 39, they said it was normal though. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep going :\

Day 28

It's almost been a month, but I honestly can't say I've seen an improvement. I haven't had an IB, but I've had dry skin and stuff, so apparently it's working - just not on my acne. I still get a pimple about every day, and even though they seem to go away faster than normal, it's still not a large change. I got my bloodwork done and one of my levels went from a 30 to a 39, they said it was normal though. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep going :\

Day 32

Things have been alright, one day my skin looks amazing and the next I have a whole cluster of new pimples. I've been getting a lot of stubborn ones, they take forever to go away and don't really do anything. I made the mistake of popping them about two weeks ago, probably less, but the scabs are still there, healing. So I'm really not trying to pick them.

I'm in a real sort of depressed slump and getting angry easily, but I'm trying to stay positive.

Unfortunately, I have run out of medication. My derm office is closed on Friday and I guess because Feb. is a short month that they couldn't register me until Friday because it hadn't been 30 days or something. So hopefully they'll do it on Monday, I'm really pissed too because they called us and said they registered me but they hadn't :\

Day 46

I can't believe it's been this long, and Accutane seems the norm to me. I really just feel like I'm not getting much out of Accutane, but maybe it's too early to tell. I know it's working because I am dry (which is nice, for once) but it's not clearing up my acne at all. It's actually not making it worse either. Nothing's healing very fast at all and it's driving me crazy.

I haven't been able to update much because I've had play practice for our school musical. Tonight's our last performance so maybe I'll update this thing more often.

Day 62

I could be 14 days ahead of where I am now but I was taken off Accutane until my liver enzymes went down. I was told the fishoil I was taking raised my liver enzymes a lot, so now I don't take them and I should be fine (I was only taking about two a day, I can't imagine what it would be like if I was like some of the recommended doses here, for six to eight pills a day!). I've found Origins Megamushroom products help so much with the redness and it doesn't look like I'm on Accutane at all. My face hasn't been peeling (since I last updated, and while being taken off Accutane). My lips of course are still dry and peely but that's fine. I think I've been getting more aware of my headaches but they're nothing too horrible. I just need to take Advil more. I've definitely been getting snappy at my parents, but hopefully they understand.

Currently standing, I don't really have pimples on my face. I just have a few bumps from some never-coming-to-the-surface-or-doing-anything pimples which of course I picked (I will break that habit one day) and so they're just kind of there. I always feel like my chin has pimples when I think it's just scarring, so I might look into stuff I can do to help them.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me! I'm going to try to update this more now that I'm back on the Acc!

Day 111

I can't believe it's been this long!

I'm acne free and when looking back on old photos, can't believe I even looked like that. I feel so great about my skin now.

Currently I'm just battling dry skin and being in the sun - I was out in the sun with 45 on for about an hour and now have a huge rash all up the bottom of my arms that's red and splotchy, I guess eczema. I have yet to find a cure that's soothing enough for it :( Work doesn't help either, since I'm constantly putting on gloves to make sandwiches and off to wash my hands again since I also work a register. Going in the sun feels like my skin is boiling or something, it hurts soo bad to be in the sun and my skin turns red after being in the sun for ten minutes.

My skin scratches from the smallest thing (you know when sometimes the skin just frays? Well that will happen and the next day it's a super bloody scab). They take forever to heal too.

My face is a really odd texture - it's not dry to the touch at all, it doesn't flake or anything, but my pores look really big or something.

My lips are peeling constantly, but I was also prescribed some .2% hydrocortisone to help with the peeling on the side of my lips (I couldn't fully open my mouth for over two weeks!)

My liver levels are really good compared to when I had to be taken off of it, so it really must have been taking Fish Oils. I know so many people swear by them but I guess the ones I were using weren't good. Or it could have been some of the vitamins I was taking. Either way, I'm not taking anything now, just eating healthy.

Day 153

Well somehow my day count got off lol, but tomorrow (technically today) is my last day! I've been so proud of my results, just looking at my old pictures I didn't realize how bad my acne was until now.

I'm just hoping that it will stay this way for a long time!

I'll post before/after pictures soon, I got my wisdom teeth removed today and so I need some rest.