Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apple_Blossem

The Skin absorbs 60% of skin care products into the bloodstream

There are a lot of posts which are discussing the use of completely natural soaps rather than the chemicalized soaps we buy at the supermarket.

While searching for a cure to acne, I happened to find this article on About.com:

"The human skin is a living, dynamic tissue system. It has the remarkable ability to absorb applied products, partially or completely, into the bloodstream. In fact, up to 60% of the products we use on our skin are absorbed and deposited into the blood stream. For instance, the average woman absorbs 30 pounds of the ingredients contained in moisturizers over sixty years.

Caring for your whole body means being careful about what you eat, but also what you feed your skin on the outside too. Natural cosmetics are safer, healthier choices. Natural cosmetics are free from artificial chemical additives and made of all natural and ingredients simply derived from nature. Be careful about cosmetics that say they are natural, but only contain a small amount of natural ingredients but are mainly composed of petrochemicals.

Switching to organic cosmetics can help you avoid feeding your skin harmful chemicals. Many skin problems like acne disappear or are reduced when you make that switch. Using all natural cosmetics can contribute to healthy skin and a healthy body in the short term and in the long run.

Written by Lori Stryker, B.Sc., B.H.Ec., B.Ed. President and Founder of The Organic Make-up Co.Inc., a company devoted to producing all natural skin care and make-up cosmetics.

So far, the best selling natural soap bars I have found on the internet are: Pure Olive Oil Bars ($2) and Shea Butter Bars ($13).

The Shea Butter Bars are becoming popular in the spas. It is best for ezcema, stretch marks, moisturizing, etc.

I bought an olive oil bar yesterday and really like it. I'm excited to try a Shea Butter Bar :)

I use "natural" products for the most part, though I despise that term wholeheartedly when placed in the context of topical products.

Face wash: some natural, castile tea tree oil/emu oil soap, yes soap, and it's never dried my skin out.

Mask: QH Mint Julep

Aftershave: aloe vera or hydrogen peroxide spot treatment.

Moisturizer: jojoba oil, only when my skin has dried out, which is not too often.

My bathroom is nice, tidy and bare...

So yeah, I guess the biggest topical acne fighting things I have are good old H2O2 and QH mask, versus about a year ago when I was into trying every topical under the sun, from glycolic acid to Jess's brush exfoliation method (man, I thought I had it figured out then...). Thank god for my realization that acne needs to be fought internally 10x harder than it does externally.

R.S. ... you're a guy??

(the aftershave?)

Also, I'm going to assume the emu is not being milked for its oil but must be killed? I am not familiar with emu oil but have heard it is good.

R.S. ... you're a guy??

(the aftershave?)

Also, I'm going to assume the emu is not being milked for its oil but must be killed? I am not familiar with emu oil but have heard it is good.

All this time I thought you were a woman, LOL.

I guess I'm as surprised as you would be if you found out I was a man all this time.

Too bad we cant milk the emus. Its like wringing out a beaver's tail to get the Castor Oil.

Its late and I guess i'm getting goofy.

btw, have you been to Paula's Choice website? She has a lot of info on skin care. She takes every ingredient apart and reviews hundreds of products and their marketing schemes. A lot of stuff we already know, but i did learn a few things.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=29

There are a lot of posts which are discussing the use of completely natural soaps rather than the chemicalized soaps we buy at the supermarket.

While searching for a cure to acne, I happened to find this article on About.com:

"The human skin is a living, dynamic tissue system. It has the remarkable ability to absorb applied products, partially or completely, into the bloodstream. In fact, up to 60% of the products we use on our skin are absorbed and deposited into the blood stream. For instance, the average woman absorbs 30 pounds of the ingredients contained in moisturizers over sixty years.

Caring for your whole body means being careful about what you eat, but also what you feed your skin on the outside too. Natural cosmetics are safer, healthier choices. Natural cosmetics are free from artificial chemical additives and made of all natural and ingredients simply derived from nature. Be careful about cosmetics that say they are natural, but only contain a small amount of natural ingredients but are mainly composed of petrochemicals.

Switching to organic cosmetics can help you avoid feeding your skin harmful chemicals. Many skin problems like acne disappear or are reduced when you make that switch. Using all natural cosmetics can contribute to healthy skin and a healthy body in the short term and in the long run.

Written by Lori Stryker, B.Sc., B.H.Ec., B.Ed. President and Founder of The Organic Make-up Co.Inc., a company devoted to producing all natural skin care and make-up cosmetics.

So far, the best selling natural soap bars I have found on the internet are: Pure Olive Oil Bars ($2) and Shea Butter Bars ($13).

The Shea Butter Bars are becoming popular in the spas. It is best for ezcema, stretch marks, moisturizing, etc.

I bought an olive oil bar yesterday and really like it. I'm excited to try a Shea Butter Bar :)

so the info was from someone who could directly benefit from exaggerating such information and not a legitamatly performed study by a qualified institution?

I call bs, but still got my interest because i really wonder how all that stuff effects our bodys. it has to be absorbed somewhat i do believe our body is much more delicate then we give it credit for, and some of this stuff could be inhibiting certain enzymes we need for vitamin metabolism or something i mean anysibstance has to effect our bodys it cant just have no effect. unless our bodies are really that good at expelling foreign substances that are harmful but i dont think its that good especially with all the chemicals we manage to introduce into our systems, we would need another 100,000 years of evolution just to adapt!!!!

Another example: I have a tube of Retin-A cream that I *dab* on my face if I get a really bad pimple infection. I only put on a pearl-drop sized amount, twice a day. I have used it for one year now, and I have learned that if I use it more than two days in a row, I become very nauseous on the second day.

If there were no side effects from rubbing a few dabs of that stuff on your skin, why do they have 3 pages of tiny print that accompanies every tube about all the side effects and things it can do to your body by just touching the skin (such as mutating the DNA in the cells) and other eyebrow raising concerns.

It is odd I can use it for one day, and maybe a second day, but by the third day my body starts trying to vomit and I feel "sea-sick" all day. Having projectile vomiting on the third day that I rub this chemical on my skin is *anything* but my imagination.

My family is very sensitive to chemicals. My mom lost her short-term memory when put on birth control pills for one week. That side effect is not even listed as a usual side effect. The doctor had to call the company -- and yes, its a very very very rare side effect that they didnt even list.

My brother almost died from driving next to a corn field that had been recently sprayed with a harsh pesticide called "Kill-All" (he was taken to the emergency room). Although that almost never happens to people, my family is VERY sensitive to chemicals in the air or on our skin.

Some people aren't bothered by most chemicals in the least... others will have those *extremely rare* side effects. :P

My family members are like the parakeets that were used in the mines which would drop over dead at the slightest wiff of poisonous gas. LoL

Chemicals that would not cause "warning" side effects in other people during a prolonged use of 40 years (until the person suddenly noticed that they had developed cancer from using the chemical or other chronic health problems) would READILY cause my family members to get sick during the first week of its use.

Guest Mumblesorusjen

I use products that are like 75 to 80% organic from my supermarket. Its a line called Alba Hawaiian and i've been using it for about a week and a half and my skin has greatly improved. I recommend it :]

Callmeback:

According to the box, the side effects of Tretinoin most commonly reported are: headache, fever, dry skin and mucous membranes, bone pain, rash, itching, inflamed lips, sweating, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, indigestion, bloating, irregular heart beat, visual disturbances, earache, hair loss (alopecia), skin changes (including formation of inflammatory growths known as granulomas), vision changes, and bone inflammation.

Have you researched this drug? How can you assuredly say that there are no side effects associated with Tretinoin when these side effects are listed on the paperwork that comes with the drug and are listed all over medical sites on the internet?

Mandy, do you use a product that zaps out really bad infections?

I tried tea tree oil, but it really didnt do anything. :(

Mumble -- Does Alba Hawaiian zap out infections?

I agree completly to use as natural as you can. I used harsh face wash and bp for about 6 years cause I figured hey it's sold in the store it must be safe! Yeah right. If only I knew then what I know now. I was getting such bad acne and I gave up everything I was using and sure enough my skin is so much better now. The only thing I use considered unnatural is cetaphil to remove makeup at night. Other than that I just use hot water, steaming, acv, and aloe vera gel. My skin looks great now, I have mild breakouts cause of my period but nothing seriously bad anymore. A lot of people with acne think they need all these so called acne products, I know I did. Also a lot of us try natural but give up cause it doesn't work right away. It definatly takes time for your skin to clear and heal on it's own. I've been using natural stuff for about 6 months now and even though I still get an occassional spot it hasn't been anything bad. It took a couple months to really see improvement but I'm glad I stuck with it cause over the summer I stopped using acne products for about a month and 1/2 and I broke out real bad went back on topicals for a month didn't see improvement either so i finally decided I had nothing else to do but just use water like everyone else in my family. I realized the reason my acne had gotton so severe cause of what i was putting on my skin!

Did you know jojoba oil, olive oil or veggie oil will remove makeup just as good as the store bought makeup removers?

The store-bought makeup removers use a base of oil... and then add a ton of chemicals.

I love makeup and use waterproof mascara. The olive oil or whatever oil I use quickly removes the makeup.

Try that and see if you like it.

Many things have too large or molecules to penetrate into the bloodstream.

Natural cosmetics are shit. The main ingredients may not be but their stabalizers and preservative like grape seed extract do a piss poor job at keeping the cosmetics fresh. In the case of makeup, face creams, pretty much anythign that goes on the skin that you don't make and use up very quickly, synthetic is always better as an additive.

I just wanted to comment on this becuase the article was written by someone touting natural cosmetics and really that's just a word to jack up the prices. I dont care about anecdotal evidence this is a fact that's proven.

Callmeback:

Have you researched this drug? How can you assuredly say that there are no side effects associated with Tretinoin when these side effects are listed on the paperwork that comes with the drug and are listed all over medical sites on the internet?

Guest Mumblesorusjen
I use "natural" products for the most part, though I despise that term wholeheartedly when placed in the context of topical products.

Face wash: some natural, castile tea tree oil/emu oil soap, yes soap, and it's never dried my skin out.

Mask: QH Mint Julep

Aftershave: aloe vera or hydrogen peroxide spot treatment.

Moisturizer: jojoba oil, only when my skin has dried out, which is not too often.

My bathroom is nice, tidy and bare...

So yeah, I guess the biggest topical acne fighting things I have are good old H2O2 and QH mask, versus about a year ago when I was into trying every topical under the sun, from glycolic acid to Jess's brush exfoliation method (man, I thought I had it figured out then...). Thank god for my realization that acne needs to be fought internally 10x harder than it does externally.

Post scientific proof please.

It's likely some stuff is absorbed, but you're going to have to provide evidence, not a belief system.

Why is natural necessarily good? Have you performed studies to show the effects of having lots of herbal extracts in the blood stream? Didn't we have a topic about the dangers of lavender oil just in the last couple weeks? That actually had a link to a NYT article which referenced studies. Nature isn't always your friend. Sometimes I think some of you need to go to South America or Africa and see how friendly nature can be.

Buying something just because it says it's 100% natural without understanding the ingredients just says you don't understand what you're doing buy you're willing to transfer your money from your bank account to someone elses more liberally.

Mandy, do you use a product that zaps out really bad infections?

I tried tea tree oil, but it really didnt do anything. :(

Mumble -- Does Alba Hawaiian zap out infections?