Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
victorious

anyone use retin-A for scar improvement?

yeah i started using it and the cp serum bouts 4days ago on my scarred areas, i noticed one zit has developed over a scar (it overlaps on and off the scar), i also think i've noticed some improvment in that scar but it may just be the zit getting in the way (it's a sorta big one ](*,) )

The only reason I think it says it's supposed to work for scars is because it dries you out so bad to the point where your skin is stretched. That's what it does to me, anyway. However, once the dryness goes away, my scars look the same.

I have had acne for over thirty years and I still break out occationally. In my opinion, retin A does help with improving the scars. However, it does little to help with new pimples so I use BP on my face for three - five minutes. Since retain A and BP counter act each other, I use BP in the morning and use retin A in the evening to help accelerate new skin growth. So, in my experience, Retin A does work to improve shallow scars and improve skin quality but you need to use BP to control the bacteria that causes acne. Good luck.

I used it for scars a few years back. I thought it would get rid of all of my scars. I really believed that. I was so naive. rolleyes.gif Of course it didn't. I think it helped temporarily. It plumps up your skin and it builds collagen. However, it didn't control my acne and I got huge cysts while on it. Everything scarred, even one's that shouldn't have scarred did. If it controls your acne well, use it, at the very least it will keep you looking young. If it doesn't control your acne, trash it, or you may scar easier.

Retin-A is excellent for red marks i have found. However, for indents it helps little if at all, and yes it does give your skin a youthful look.

I agree with most of these posts. I used Retin a for a long time and it defenitely gives you ( or helps maintain) a youthful, healthy look to the skin. But it did not do anything to diminish my scarring. But I recommend it for the great tone and texture it can give to the rest of the skin. Just use it very sparingly. A little goes a long way.

James

I used Retin-A a few years ago. I remember, it made my skin itch terribly, I had no new break-outs but my skin never looked good while on it...I was constantly flaking. Went thru 2 tubes and it did nothing for the scars. Never went back.

I used it in the 1980's and it filled in a few very shallow scars.

BUT ... it severely worsened my acne. My forehead was a veritable minefield of small pimples.

I had a problem with trentinoin (generic retin-A) a few years ago causing some cysts and scarring. But I am now using retin A micro and have had no problems with break-out. I think the biggest problem I had a while back wasthat I had a ton of oil and bacteria down in my pores that all came up to the surface at once, not to mention that the generic retin-a has an oil base. I don't know how much the retin-a has helped my skin. I love the intitial plumping effect. I use it sparingly as I am trying to get pregnant. My derm seems to think it will help my shallow scarring more than other options so I continue to use it. I hate my pores too and hope it will help with this problem too. I think it is relatively safe if used in moderation. Sun screen should be used during the day since retin- a causes sun sensitivity. I am thinking about ordering the CP serum too.

I had a problem with trentinoin (generic retin-A) a few years ago causing some cysts and scarring. But I am now using retin A micro and have had no problems with break-out. I think the biggest problem I had a while back wasthat I had a ton of oil and bacteria down in my pores that all came up to the surface at once, not to mention that the generic retin-a has an oil base. I don't know how much the retin-a has helped my skin. I love the intitial plumping effect. I use it sparingly as I am trying to get pregnant. My derm seems to think it will help my shallow scarring more than other options so I continue to use it. I hate my pores too and hope it will help with this problem too. I think it is relatively safe if used in moderation. Sun screen should be used during the day since retin- a causes sun sensitivity. I am thinking about ordering the CP serum too.