Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thorn

New DKR User that needs your help...

Ok, First I would like to say WOW.... This is a very informative message board and I think it is really cool to see what is and is not working for people in their battles with acne. I am a 20 year old male who has been battling acne for about 8 years now. I have been on 2 full courses of Accutane, which cleared me up great, but the acne has come back. I am looking for something that will work so I dont have to do another Accutane course. Now that I have found this place and read some of the testimonials, I have decided to try the DKR regimen. The BP gel and the Facewash is in the mail as we speak...

Now is where you come in; I have a few questions and as many people as I can get to give their input would be greatly appreciated. So, here we go!

1- If this regimen gives some people such great results, and basically the only ingredient is benzoyl peroxide, then why don't products like Clearasil and other companies work to clear your acne? What makes DKR's BP or routine in general so much more effective?

2- I have tried products in the past like Benzaclin (Prescription) that contained mainly BP with some form of clindamycin anti-bacterial solution. My derm switched me after 3 months of being on it to just clindamycin gel because my skin was burning so bad from the BP in the Benzaclin. So my question is: Is Dan's BP better than other BP products in terms of harshness? After reading how much he says to apply to your face (a finger full), I find it hard to believe that I will not turn into a tomato from redness and be dry, dry, dry and still burning.

3- I do not suffer from cysts much anymore (I did before accutane). It is mainly just red bumps that are inflamed and tehy once in a while produce noticable whiteheads. Do you think the DKR regimen would work for me?

Thanks so much to all of you who reply... I really do appreciate every last comment you write. I cant wait to read your answers!!

1. companies like clearasil and other manufactueres of BP products have more than meets the eye in that little tube which may contain fragrancese, codmogenic ingredients, and just in general - shit your face hates. i only recently began DKR, but from what i gathered - it works because its a strict system. You cleanse your face with a MILD MILD cleanser. Again, it doesnt aggrivate your face. Then you apply a generous portion of BP - again, you use this quantity because its been proven to work. obviously it will dry out your face - hense the need for a moisturizer.

This system works because its simple and if done correctly - minimizes all irritation to your face. One other thing - i may be crazy to assume this, but for me personally i have tried a lot of different products. The biggest downfall when i was prescribed these products - i was not told how to apply them. I never sat down for 10 minutes and massaged BP into my face very gently. I slapped it on, and let it dry on its own...hence my skin never absorbed a damn thing.

2. Not familar with those products you listed - someone else can jump on this question. But basically, you don't just throw a finger on your face from day one - you need to slowly build your tolerance for the BP product.

3. Yes.

Hey wsup man, i'm a 20yo male and have suffered from acne for bout 3 years now so i feel ur pain. I've been on the regimen for bout 3 -4 months and am a LOT more clear then what i was before. Not 100% but getting there i believe. I'll try and help ya a little bit here...

If this regimen gives some people such great results, and basically the only ingredient is benzoyl peroxide, then why don't products like Clearasil and other companies work to clear your acne? What makes DKR's BP or routine in general so much more effective? < - -

Just my opinion but i think that Clearasil and other companies do work for some people, just not as many as they promote probably. I think that dkr works well for 1 reason in particular is for the simple fact as gentleness. You'll see what i mean when you getta feel for the products. Another reason is that higher % of bp like most of these other products have in them causes extreme dryness for a lot of ppl. I know it does wth me anyhow. Dkr is 2.5 just so you know. HOpe this helps at all.

1. Most otc benzoyl peroxide products have instructions to spot treat, and they are high percentage products. Dan's regimen works better because you load on a whole bunch of the low strength bp and keep doing this twice a day to not only clear up active acne but prevent it as well. Plus Dan stresses gentleness, and using a moisturizer and gentle cleanser. Most otc acne meds don't give any instructions beyond their own medication. They don't tell you how to treat your skin, or what cleanser to use, etc.

2. If your face gets beet red from bp, then this regimen may not be for you. You will only know if you try. The benzoyl peroxide products you used in the past were probably a higher percentage than 2.5%.

3. This regimen works best on inflammatory acne, the kind you described.

I believe that DKR works so well because you are being so extra gentle on your face, and I can probably speak for most acne suffererers that until I started it I used to be really rough on my face and that makes it worse. it's workin so good for me you really start to love it and can feel the difference about how smooth and healthy your skin feels.

I never got irrated or dry really from using BP twice a day and my skin is so used to it now it absorbs so quickly in like 4 minutes and leaves no residue. You just have to get a good moisturizer. Complex 15 works great for me, I really hated cetaphil as it made me look so greasy and made my red marks stand out. I use lac-hydrin 5 at night and that really helps with the read marks. well anyways im just ramblin hope all goes well man

Thanks for the info and encouragement! :) I might have to try that Complex 15 lotion, where can you find it? Right now I am using Neutrogena's Oil Free Moisture in the AM and Cetaphil in the PM.

Also, I have heard that Dan's cleanser is really thick and sometimes hard to rinse off. Has anyone else noticed this? and if so, any recommendations for using it?

Thanks for the info and encouragement! :) I might have to try that Complex 15 lotion, where can you find it? Right now I am using Neutrogena's Oil Free Moisture in the AM and Cetaphil in the PM.

Also, I have heard that Dan's cleanser is really thick and sometimes hard to rinse off. Has anyone else noticed this? and if so, any recommendations for using it?

Thanks j dub.... Also, do you guys recommend washing in the shower or at the sink with the cleanser? I sometimes feel like it is easier to wash in the shower as far as convenience and mess is concerned. However, I notice that when I do it in the shower my face tends to be dried out much more, most likely due to the amount of water used to rinse. Also, won't washing in the shower be kind of pointless since water is running down from your head onto your face the entire time?

I wash in the shower. Partly because I always have, and partly because of the wait Dan recommends between steps. I step out of the shower and dry my face first thing. Then I dry the rest of my body, brush my teeth, and then apply BP. After that I get dressed, dry my hair, and then apply moisturizer. There is no way I could just sit around waiting between steps in the morning.

There are 2 big differences between the BP Dan recommends and the ordinary use of BP products. One is that it is a lower concentration than almost anything you find, especially prescription BP products. Research (and my experience!) has shown that 2.5% is just as effective as higher amounts, but is much less irritating.

The second is that you apply more of it than typically recommended. I always found BP in large amounts was pretty effective, but in the thin layers products normally recommend, it's pretty much worthless. Strange that large amounts + low concentration is different than small amounts + high concentration, but that seems to be the case.

Also, he has instructions for using products in a way that should minimize irritation. It's a good idea to read through all the instructions first. For example, do not use the full finger when you first start. That would be insane. You start off using a much smaller amount, and gradually increase it as your skin gets used to using it.

Now I will say that I find Dan's BP gel a little irritating, and I have heard that the Neutrogena On-The-Spot is better (but the tubes are tiny :( like all other BP products) My favorite acne gel was actually a 5% that Mary Kay used to make -- it was really less irritating and more effective for me than any I've tried before or since (I did sometimes mix it with a lotion that I knew I tolerated well, which reduced the concentration), but I don't use it anymore because I don't want to support that company, and besides, they changed the formula so who knows if it's even as good anymore.

I wash in the shower. Partly because I always have, and partly because of the wait Dan recommends between steps. I step out of the shower and dry my face first thing. Then I dry the rest of my body, brush my teeth, and then apply BP. After that I get dressed, dry my hair, and then apply moisturizer. There is no way I could just sit around waiting between steps in the morning.

There are 2 big differences between the BP Dan recommends and the ordinary use of BP products. One is that it is a lower concentration than almost anything you find, especially prescription BP products. Research (and my experience!) has shown that 2.5% is just as effective as higher amounts, but is much less irritating.

The second is that you apply more of it than typically recommended. I always found BP in large amounts was pretty effective, but in the thin layers products normally recommend, it's pretty much worthless. Strange that large amounts + low concentration is different than small amounts + high concentration, but that seems to be the case.

Also, he has instructions for using products in a way that should minimize irritation. It's a good idea to read through all the instructions first. For example, do not use the full finger when you first start. That would be insane. You start off using a much smaller amount, and gradually increase it as your skin gets used to using it.

Now I will say that I find Dan's BP gel a little irritating, and I have heard that the Neutrogena On-The-Spot is better (but the tubes are tiny :( like all other BP products) My favorite acne gel was actually a 5% that Mary Kay used to make -- it was really less irritating and more effective for me than any I've tried before or since (I did sometimes mix it with a lotion that I knew I tolerated well, which reduced the concentration), but I don't use it anymore because I don't want to support that company, and besides, they changed the formula so who knows if it's even as good anymore.