Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sasson

Sasson's Accutane Log

Started: February 6, 2007

Brand: Claravis

Dosage: 60mg/day (20mg each) As of March 5, it's 40mg, due to increased triglyceride.

Stats: Female, in early 20's, 120-something lbs., moderate to bad comedonal acne and sometimes with few cystic acne

Day 19

Side Effects:

Dry Skin -- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

Dry Scalp -- Conditioner really helps relieve the dryness and itchiness.

Dry Lips -- I tried using Vaseline and Aquaphor, but they dissipate rather quickly and I kept having to apply thickly, which was kind of gross. I'm really liking Carmex, which can be found at most drugstores.

Headaches/Dry Eyes -- The first several days, I had some pretty bad headaches, so my derm advised me to spread my pills out throughout the day, which helped. But I began to get headaches in an area of my head which was not usual (the base of my skull), and I read somewhere that it might be due to dry eyes (even when your eyes feel fine). So I put in some eyedrops, and I swear, the headache went away in that instant.

Rashy Hands/Neck -- I was washing my hands under really warm water and the tops of the hands burned and blistered. It's been a week and my hands are still healing. I use any body moisturizer I can get my hands on. Eucerin and Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Moisturizer are my favorite right now.

Breakouts/Fresh Blemishes -- The old pimples are going away, but new ones are coming out. And because of the drying and peeling, I'm getting a lot of fresh blemishes. I tried real aloe vera (real, as in cutting up the plant and getting the gel out), but it was alright. But I'm really trying to prevent scarring, so I put Neosporin on just those red spots. Anybody have suggestions in dealing with blemishes?

That's all for now. Thanks for reading, if you got through it all! =)

--------------------------------------------

Morning

Cetaphil Face Cleanser

Shiseido Day Moisturizer w/ SPF 15

Lancome Oil-free Liquid Foundation (still a little hesitant about wearing oily makeup on face)

Carmex lip balm

Evening

Cetaphil Face Cleanser

Shiseido Night Moisture Lotion

40mg pill w/ dinner

Day 20

I heart Neosporin (for fresh blemishes) and Carmex (for dry lips). =)

Does anyone know first-hand if taking zinc supplements really quicken the healing process?

Day 23

I know this may sound a little funny, but is anyone else experiencing pain in the... tailbone area? I haven't been doing anything physically rigorous, so I don't know what else it could be.

Day 26

ugh... my body, especially my lower back, feels like i was in a bad car accident. and i really need to curve my bad habit of TOUCHING MY FACE!!! the flaky skin itches, so i can't help but to scratch it off. i'm getting red spots, especially my forehead and temples. MUST STOP.

i'm sure the medicine is working, but my skin LOOKS like a mess because of the red spots. i know it's only been about a month, but i feel like i've hit a plateau. :(

hey sasson

1st of all wish u all d best wif the Tane!!! yup yup i went throught all the red spot and back pain u experiencin now. i fink its normal and u should expect dat cos the medicine is workin. red spots will fade away quickly....

all the best

Day 27

Several active pimples remain, and they're kind of big, but unpoppable. Don't worry, I won't try anymore. And I'm not sure whether I already experienced my "initial breakout" (when my old pimples went away, and a few new ones emerged). I have a feeling the worst is yet to come... :(

And the rashes on the tops of my hands kind of spread and regress, spread and regress. First thing I'm going to do tomorrow morning is go get some cortisone.

Lastly, I am now a pink and white racoon.

While it's still white around my eyes, my face is pink and hot...as if I just finished running a friggin marathon. :redface: This reminds me of a high school classmate from way back, when she came to school with a hat pulled over her face because it was tomato-red. I asked her in class if she was okay (which only embarassed her more) only to find out a little later that she was taking Accutane. From my memory, her skin was always fabulous, so I'm guessing it was the Accutane, and hoping it will do the same for me.

Still Day 27

This afternoon, I got a call from the doctor's office about my blood test results. Apparently, my triglyceride level has elevated, so she recommends that I go down to 40mg/day from 60mg/day.

Day 32

Well, the side effects I was experiencing have gotten more manageable. My lower back isn't as sore anymore, perhaps due to the lowered dosage as of last week. And I'm trying to think of ways to eat more effectively (but still healthy) so that the medicine will work at its full advantage.

The month before I went on Accutane, I was using a retinoin cream. The right side of my face was pretty clear of acne. But the past few days, I've been getting some breakouts.

Day 1, Right Cheek

post-55179-1173564600_thumb.jpg

Day 32 (Today), Right Cheek -- (I put moisturizer on, right before I took the picture)

post-55179-1173564616_thumb.jpg

In between Day 1 and Day 30, I started picking at some comedones, and the skin -- having become so fragile -- kind of peeled off, and I created some blemishes (thanks to me). I'm thinking it's the Neosporin that I've been applying on blemishes that caused more breakouts. I don't know. But I know I need to STOP PICKING AT MY FACE!!!

Or... it could be the beginning of the "initial breakout."

But the good news is that the left side of my face (which was not good on Day 1) has become clearer, and the blemishes on my forehead are getting better.

post-55179-1173564600_thumb.jpg

post-55179-1173564616_thumb.jpg

woww I read your log and I'm only on day 7 for me 40 mg sotret for me. All i've experienced was some dry lips... but that bad... I do not need chapstick yet. However I still have oily skin -_-.... i'm glad accutane is working for you!

woww I read your log and I'm only on day 7 for me 40 mg sotret for me. All i've experienced was some dry lips... but that bad... I do not need chapstick yet. However I still have oily skin -_-.... i'm glad accutane is working for you!

I don't think that breakout you had was too bad - the spots were not big cystic lovelies like I get...

Yes, it is soooo hard to not pick, I know. Fight the temptation as best you can...

Keep updating, I can't wait to see your progress.

Day 41

My left side is clear of any active pimples. On the right side, I have a pimple and some healing blemishes, which I blot with a tiny drop of foundation to protect from the sun. Otherwise, I've been without makeup these past few days. I. Feel. Liberated. :)

Now, what does "accumulated dosage" mean? I'm 120lbs, and was on 60mg/day the first month, and now I'm on 40mg/day for this second month. By the end of my course, do I need a certain amount accumulated in my body? What is that amount, and what happens if I don't hit that accumulated dose?

I guess the concensus is that the best long-term results are achieved if you reach a cumulative dose of 120-150 mg/kg.

This means that you add up all the milligrams of the med you have taken, and divide by your weight in kilograms...

For example, so far, I have taken 13 days x 30mg = 390mg. If I divide this by my weight in kilograms (55 kg) I have reached a cumulative dose of 7 mg/kg. This is obviously nothing.

It seems that if you reach the dose of 120-150mg/kg at the end of your treatment, your acne is less likely to return - although I have heard of quite a few people who were clear for years following accutane even though they did not reach the suggested dosage. My derm has cleared many people and he does not follow the cumulative dosage rule... but I must admit I would be much happier if he kept me on until I reached it.

It's about 2.5 months since I began the Accutane treatment.

There is still dryness, especially in my lips, which peel like dried glue every 2 weeks or so.

I lightly exfoliate my face each morning, because if I don't, it no look so good.

My joints hurt less, but my lower back hurts when I walk up the stairs while carrying heavy groceries, for instance, or if I attempt to jog.

Anyway...

It's funny how I was obsessed with keeping track of my progress the first couple of months, like a prepubescent teeny bopper obsessed with the latest boy band. But life had to go on, and while there are side effects to remind me of the fact that yes I have acne, and I'm getting treated for acne, I realized that, wow... I am no longer that anxious, self-conscious girl as I was before. There's one less thing to worry about. And I'm always pleasantly surprised to find that my skin looks pretty damn good when I take pictures with friends and stuff. But even more, I can smile a little more comfortably now. And that, to me, is a victory.

I love love love what Accutane is doing, not just for my skin, but also for me.

I wanted to share some pictures of my progress, so you guys can check them out in the gallery. In the meantime, I wish everyone well!

Wow wow wow - you're skin looks sooo great. I hope that my skin looks that good after 2.5 months!

I know what you mean about becoming more calm and accepting of the progress, and not obsessing about our skin so much anymore.

Please keep us posted and more pics too - it's great to see a success story!

JUST GREAT.

I'm going into my 4th month already... (sounds like a pregnancy)

Accutane has become such a habitual thing that sometimes I don't even remember taking my pills for the day. I sometimes don't realize I'm on Accutane at all. I've become so forgetful of it that I forgot to get my prescription filled within the 7 days. You know what kills me? I missed it by 1 day. ONE DAY! :wall: Although it was my fault that I forgot, I now have to wait 30 days. Seriously...while iPLEDGE has good intentions, it makes things so damn inconvenient. :evil: Just great.

Anyway, my skin is continually improving. I'm still dry. Very dry. The isotretinoin-induced eczema is becoming intolerable. My arms are very itchy and irritated, and once I scratch the itch, the itching becomes more intense. I have rashes on the tops of my hands and my forearms. I try to keep them moisturized, but the lotions...OH, how they BURN! Cortisone creams seem either futile or seem to make it worse. The only non-irritating product is aloe vera (the real thing). But I know that I just need to keep my hands and arms away from water and soap.

While I write this entry a little embittered, I'm quite happy with the progress my skin has made. Yay.

P.S. Thanks barb ~ I'll be back with more pictures later. : )

Hey there! You have to wait a whole month????? Can't you ask your derm to write you a new prescription? Sorry - I am in the UK so I don't have to deal with all that ipledge crap...

MONTH 5

I'm back! And I'm still doing great!

I finally got my 5th month prescription filled today, after going without the pills for about 2 weeks (I had extra to keep me going for half of the 30 days). During the 2 weeks I was off of these miracle pills, I was surprised to find that the side effects subsided so quickly. I was able to jog without lower back pain for the first time since I started Accutane. Also, not so helpless without chapstick! Less dry skin and hair. Now I know what to expect once I officially finish the course.

But I re-welcome these side effects because I kind of feel vulnerable having this time gap of no Accutane: I have one tiny pimple on my cheek. I mean, don't get me wrong...I'm totally happy with the progress! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I don't even feel like I need to cover it up (which is so unlike the old me). But I realize that perhaps this is why many Accutaners stress the importance of reaching your cumulative dosage. (And the importance of not letting your prescription expire). :doubt:

I'm so happy for my refill. ;)

Long time no see! I thought I'd stop by and share my progress with you all. I just counted 3 months since my last round of Accutane, but it feels like it has been forever.

Anyway, here is the post-accutane condition:

The first month or two after stopping, my skin was still on the dry side -- not saying it was as dry as it was when I was on Accutane. And it was still sensitive, as in... I'd get rosy-cheeked easily.

Towards the end of the 2nd month, the oiliness began returning to all the places I normally got oily: my face and my hair (the next morning) -- although much less than before. And maybe you readers might understand, but the oiliness is less...sticky.

Currently, however, my face becomes noticeably shiny during the day. In other words, I need to blot, which I'm admittedly slightly bummed out about. I'm also getting very tiny-tiny-tiny-sized pimples. They're not very visible, but I can feel it when I touch my cheeks. I tried to squeeze them, but they won't do anything. And I'm assuming they'll go away on their own if I let them be.

But all in all, I couldn't be more thankful for the results after I made what I call "the best decision ever!!!"

I'll give this a few more months, and return for another update. Until then, I wish everyone their best.

Hey Sasson - thanks for the post on my log... I haven't been posting at all lately, my skin just doesn't rule my life anymore... I'm glad to hear the Tane worked for you as well - it's finally time we had a 'normal' life for a while, huh?

Keep us posted on any changes!

Hello all ~

I'm back for a post-accutane update because, unfortunately, my skin has been a cause for mild concern. But let me first share with you the leftover effects of accutane:

1) dryness in eyes remains (i can't really wear contacts anymore w/o feeling moderate to high discomfort)

2) prior to accutane, I never had white bumps on my arm, but now I do... they're kind of like pimples.

2) oiliness returned (recently, i'm having mild breakout around my mouth and temple areas)

The oiliness of my skin was what I strongly believe to be the cause for my acne. And Accutane = dry skin = no more pimples. No Accutane = oily skin = pimples!!!!!!!

Now that the oiliness is back, I'm experiencing what is the beginning of more acne to come. It started out this way in the past... a pimple here, a pimple there. I feel impending DOOM. Ok, i'll stop being dramatic, but you get the point.

I'm seriously considering going back to the derm for more accutane.

Why can't I be in the majority where my skin stays dry and acne never comes back after accutane???

...nothing's perfect i guess.

Hey Sasson - are you using any products to maintain your results? I had a few problems after my accutane course and am now using Finacea to keep my skin clear and it works great.

A few weeks ago, I went back to my derm, who advised that I try antibiotics (supposedly, acne is more responsive to antibiotics after accutane), OR that I may go back on Accutane if I wished.

Since I'm strongly convinced that for me oily skin = guaranteed acne , and that antibiotics won't do anything for me, I've decided take Accutane for a second time.

My doctor re-registered me with iPledge (i love iPledge like i love having acne), and I have the pleasure of waiting another month before I get to take Accutane. UGH.

Anyway, at least there's something that will help my acne. This time, hopefully, for good.

I have bumps all over my face especially in the lower half of my face. Some noticeable to the eye, some felt by touch. A lot of my bumps are comedones.

Currently, I'm using Clean & Clear Salicylic Acid Astringent for sensitive skin -- applied day and night. My doctor also gave me samples of BenziQ (benzoyl peroxide face wash).

At first, the astringent helped keep the oiliness under control, but as of late, I can't fight it. The BenziQ is rather neutral for me.

I can't wait till February 23 comes around. :(

I'm back - the right side of my face has officially broken out, if there's such a thing as official. My face gets quite oily - the salicylic astringent stopped being effective. But, I don't feel nearly as defeated because I got my prescription today. Acne, be gone!