Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spottiedottie

fasting for accutane blood test

How long are you supposed to fast before taking a blood test to see if you qualify for accutane?

I have a derm appt. on Monday at noon... I'd love to be able to skip an extra appointment and just walk in having fasted, so I can get a blood test/pregnancy test done right away. When should I start fasting on Sunday? Also, does fasting mean NOTHING, or just no food/calories - can I drink tea, water, etc.?

How long are you supposed to fast before taking a blood test to see if you qualify for accutane?

I have a derm appt. on Monday at noon... I'd love to be able to skip an extra appointment and just walk in having fasted, so I can get a blood test/pregnancy test done right away. When should I start fasting on Sunday? Also, does fasting mean NOTHING, or just no food/calories - can I drink tea, water, etc.?

I was told 12 hours. You can drink, but don't have tea with milk in it because the test will pick up on the fat in it and your levels will look higher than they actually are.

Thank you for the advice!!!

I guess I will just do 14 hours. Hmm, even if I can't have a blood test right away, it's not that long to go without food, so no worries!

It's easier to schedule blood tests for the morning (for me I don't even have to make an appointment because I do it at the blood draw at my hospital) because then you don't have to fast all day long, though it depends on how late you eat, etc.

You need to fast between 12 and 14 hours. More than 14 and your body will start to eat itself, which messes up the test. I had a test taken when I had accidentally had a bowel of cereal an hour before, and my doctor would not accept it.

I have a similar question.

My follow-up derm appointment is on March 26. When will I need to schedule a blood test prior to the appointment? Or would it be okay just to get my blood done at the derm appointment? On my initial appointment, they took my blood and also gave me a prescription. I'm wondering if it will delay the refill prescription if I get my blood done the same day as the appointment. Anyone know?

My follow-up derm appointment is on March 26. When will I need to schedule a blood test prior to the appointment? Or would it be okay just to get my blood done at the derm appointment? On my initial appointment, they took my blood and also gave me a prescription. I'm wondering if it will delay the refill prescription if I get my blood done the same day as the appointment. Anyone know?

It must depend on your doctor. My dermatologist did my blood tests (and pregnancy) in-house so I didn't need to go anywhere to get my blood drawn. I think they send it to a lab themselves, so I don't need to go. Not every doctor has this service.

It turned out that she didn't ask me about fasting either - I just got my blood drawn & peed on an pregnancy test (the box said "manufactured by the makers of isotretinoin" so I guess it's an iPledge certified pregnancy test.) I had fasted about 12 hours, so I was not very hungry, and obviously not in "starvation mode."

It must depend on your doctor. My dermatologist did my blood tests (and pregnancy) in-house so I didn't need to go anywhere to get my blood drawn. I think they send it to a lab themselves, so I don't need to go. Not every doctor has this service.

It turned out that she didn't ask me about fasting either - I just got my blood drawn & peed on an pregnancy test (the box said "manufactured by the makers of isotretinoin" so I guess it's an iPledge certified pregnancy test.) I had fasted about 12 hours, so I was not very hungry, and obviously not in "starvation mode."

i was never told to fast at all... weird.. i actually ate 2 hours before my last blood test and my doc said they came back at literally the perfect number (she was actually flat out shocked that on my first month they weren't atleast a little off). so either, a) my derm is lazy and decided that since my skin hadn't turned green while on accutane and i was still breathing i was cool or b) it doesn't matter at all or c)my body is just amazing (i can pretty much rule out C...)