Notifications
Clear all

Omega 3, 6, and 9 Fatty Acids

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/24/2007 3:18 pm

This thread is under construction.

Previously titled Fish Oil Capsules, we've learned quite a bit since we've made this thread. Especially the effects and benefits of other oils in our diet. Also due to some mis-information, I've decided to re-make this thread. Keep checking back and I will have updated this thread as soon as possible. As you can imagine it takes a lot to write it up compiling everything we've learned.

It will be a separate page where you can navigate all the information in a concise order and will have pages setup for categories of information and research on particular nutrients/oils. Then of course a clear regimen and what it exactly does. It will only have information, no ads, no products, no links.

It will be like a thread, but with side pages for better organization.

So bare with me and I will have it ready after I work out a few kinks in the regimen.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@ontherise)

Posted : 02/24/2007 3:28 pm

thats quite interesting. i only started taking it 2 days ago so i will let you know in a couple of weeks

MemberMember
(@anony-2)

Posted : 02/24/2007 3:36 pm

i used to have really oily skin until i started taking omega 3's as well. i started out with flax and have switched to fish oil since

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/24/2007 3:43 pm

ert

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/24/2007 3:46 pm

i used to have really oily skin until i started taking omega 3's as well. i started out with flax and have switched to fish oil since

flax does not have epa or dha which are potent acne fighters, plus it contains oleic acid(omega 9) and linoleic acid(omega 6) linoliec acid is really bad for acne.

fish oil is absolutely perfect for what our bodys need.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/24/2007 3:55 pm

ert

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/24/2007 3:58 pm

for about 5 days ive been taking anywhere from 6-9 1200mg fish oil pills, and ive been seeing consistent results everyday.

what i have noted is that right now my skin is much softer, and a little less oily so i think that my sebum content has changed.

without over hyping this phenomena and turning it into something its not, i would still like to say that my acne is clearing up although its not dramatic it is a stable and consistent improvement at a rate of about 3% improvement per day, which compared to any other treatment ive tried is actually pretty miraculous.considering on accutane you could be breaking out for the entire six month course before you clear up.

Ive been researching omega 3s obsessively for the past week or so. And also just started this.

there is tons of scientific proof that this stuff helps or could cure acne.

so if you want it, i got it but so far all my posts seem like they are falling on deaf ears because no one understands my jibber jabber.ha

the key is to balance your omega 6 to 3 in a 1:1 ratio.

remember that sebum is fat, it would only make too much sense to see a relation to the quality of dietary fat and sebum.

Don't worry, I understand. Most of what I usually say feels that way.

I like you have been researching obsessively before I decided to add yet another part to my regimine. But after seeing how vital it was, I jumped on it! You are absolutely correct too, when you mention how flax is not good for ace, as opposed to fish containing omega 3, and how naturally we get 4x the amount of omega 6. Bringing the ratio closer to 1:1 is ideal.

Wow, you are very right, now my sebum seems to actually nourish my skin instead of cake it, feeling better than before. It's almost as if I actually enjoy it, rather than hate it.

Please do send over the information, I usually read and re-read everything, and more often save it for future reference to help others.

edit: I just realized you posted it above 🙂 Thank you! That's amazing, post more if you have some!

Also, where are the links from? If you have the sources, I want to see them too so I can post that in the future to others

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 02/24/2007 4:02 pm

I just started taking fish oil properly yesterday - but all the evidence I've read seem to point this way. I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm taking 1200 mg x3 per day. I analyzed my diet to find my average omega 6/3 intake (thanks Autonomous!!) wow... 8:1 soooo..o.o.o.o.o. off.

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/24/2007 4:19 pm

I will start monitoring and writing out my results here in terms of clean and clear oil absorbing sheets (the only way I monitor how much oil I produce).

Once upon a time when I followed dan kern's regimine (july 06 to january):

I used to use one full sheet within one hour of cleaning my face, then 2 for the rest of the day (12 hours total)

After eating right, moisturizing and washing properly with BP (two months ago):

I used one full sheet after 3 hours and then 1 and a half more before I slept (in 12 hours total)

After adding in exercising, acv topically and internally, fruits and salads (1 month ago):

I used half a sheet after 3 hours, and then 1 more through the day ( 12 hours in total)

(2 weeks ago) I added in manual exfolation, and then (1 week ago) I added in fish oil capsules (3 a day), dropped cetaphil, just used an acv toner and aloe vera gel, and also exercised more intensely:

I use half a sheet after 6 hours, and then use the rest of that one throughout the day. But the sebum actually feels lighter, almost of a different texture and doesn't feel like it's even there anymore.

My body oil is also dropping. The oil on my back is almost gone too!

Every day it gets less and less, I'm so close, so close! 5 feet from the finish line! I need to cross over from acne prone skin to clarity conditioning.

We can do it

I will add in one more fish oil capsule per day (4 grams in total) which is safe as well.

MemberMember
(@strider1)

Posted : 02/24/2007 5:08 pm

so flax oil is bad??

I was just about to buy some. I was going to buy Udo's blend of " mix of the finest Omega 3, 6 and 9 varieties of Essential Fatty Acid sources". It is the best flax oil you can get. http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm

so omega 6 and 9 are bad for you? what do you guys think?

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/24/2007 5:22 pm

so flax oil is bad??

I was just about to buy some. I was going to buy Udo's blend of " mix of the finest Omega 3, 6 and 9 varieties of Essential Fatty Acid sources". It is the best flax oil you can get. http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm

I would stick with just fish oil. Reason being is our ratios are already out of wack, with 6 being readily being available in so many things we eat, we lack omega 3, so we don't need more of 6 🙂 Don't know about 9

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/24/2007 5:25 pm

Something else I found

I simply know that it takes 2-4 weeks (maybe more)

for those special fatty acids to replace the 'standard'

original ones in phospholipids of cell membranes and

lead to anti-aggregating & anti-inflammatory effects.

Accordingly, when you stop assuming them in your diet,

those effects persist for a few weeks.

This is what I remember from the first studies in '80s.

Some immediate anti-inflammatory effects after experi-

-mental intravenous administration have been reported.

I should check this 'cause it is just a vague memory...

You could read CLO topic and find other bits and pieces!

MemberMember
(@bber)

Posted : 02/24/2007 6:16 pm

Something else I found

Maybe this has something to do with all of this as well, in terms of oil production from irritation as well? I foresee even more results in the next week or two

I've experienced great results with fish oil + resveratrol, since I started them both at the same time I can't tell which one is doing the most but I'd say its the fish oil. Since I started basically 90% of my oil production has decreased, however I am taking doses way higher than what many other people have tried. I'm running 24-28g of fish oil which is about 10g of EPA/DHA a day. See my thread here if interested.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...=141074&hl=

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/24/2007 6:45 pm

Something else I found

Maybe this has something to do with all of this as well, in terms of oil production from irritation as well? I foresee even more results in the next week or two

I've experienced great results with fish oil + resveratrol, since I started them both at the same time I can't tell which one is doing the most but I'd say its the fish oil. Since I started basically 90% of my oil production has decreased, however I am taking doses way higher than what many other people have tried. I'm running 24-28g of fish oil which is about 10g of EPA/DHA a day. See my thread here if interested.

That is very interesting, but 24 grams seems way too much, isn't that overdose? Have you found any links as to what can happen if you take that much?

MemberMember
(@bber)

Posted : 02/24/2007 6:51 pm

Something else I found

That is very interesting, but 24 grams seems way too much, isn't that overdose? Have you found any links as to what can happen if you take that much?

I don't know, I figure since its a balancing act between omega 3s and omega 6s and I eat meat and animal products roughly 5 times a day 24 grams might be adequate for me. If you have a much lower consumption of omega 6s(ie animal products/meats) then your dose should be lower, I think. But Im really not sure, its all just assumptions at this point, experiment and see what works for you.

MemberMember
(@got2bstrong14)

Posted : 02/24/2007 7:17 pm

I normally steer clear of seafood (even though I LOVE it) because of the iodine. Do fish oil capsules contain iodine? I have them and was taking them w/ multivitamins around a time that I had a really bad break out so I stopped taking them and have cleared up somewhat since. But maybe it was unrelated.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 02/24/2007 7:38 pm

The University of Iowa Cancer Center, Iowa City, 52242, USA. [email protected]

The purpose of this study was to determine the maximum tolerated dose and dose-limiting toxicities of fish oil fatty acid capsules containing omega-3 fatty acid ethyl esters. Twenty-two patients with neoplastic disease not amenable to curative therapy who had lost 2% of body weight over a previous 1 month time period were given an escalating dose of fish oil fatty acids. The maximum tolerated dose was found to be 0.3 g/kg per day of this preparation. This means that a 70-kg patient can generally tolerate up to 21 1-g capsules/day containing 13.1 g of eicosapentaenoic acid + docosahexaenoic acid, the two major omega-3 fatty acids. Dose-limiting toxicity was gastrointestinal, mainly diarrhea, and a poorly described toxicity designated as "unable to tolerate in esophagus or stomach." A patient with chronic lymphocytic leukemia taking the fish oil provided an unusual opportunity to perform a detailed biochemical study of the effect of fish oil capsules on the lipids of malignant cells at several sequential time points in treatment. Studies of the malignant lymphocytes, serum, and whole blood of this one patient revealed an increase in eicosapentaenoic acid, the major component of the fish oil capsules, during fish oil capsule treatment. This study provides a scientific basis for the selection of omega-3 fatty acid doses for future studies in cancer. The maximum tolerated dose found is considerably higher than anticipated from published studies of many human diseases. The observation of a modification of the lipids of leukemic cells, serum, and blood in a patient with chronic leukemia provides a biochemical basis for a possible effect of fish oil supplements on cancer cachexia and tumor growth.

link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...p;dopt=Abstract

Prisco D; Paniccia R; Bandinelli B; Filippini M; Francalanci I; Giusti B; Giurlani L; Gensini GF; Abbate R; Neri Serneri GG

Institute of Clinica Medica Generale e Cardiologia, University of Florence, Italy.

Several studies have shown that n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 PUFA) are able to lower blood pressure (BP) in humans, but large doses of fish oils have been often used. Moreover, most of the studies available in the literature were not able to evaluate the specific effects of n-3 PUFA because they employed fish oils which contain, together with n-3 PUFA, many other different components. The aim of this preliminary study was to evaluate if medium-term supplementation with a moderate dose of highly purified eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) ethyl esters is able to reduce BP in mild hypertensive patients. Sixteen mild essential hypertensive (diastolic BP: 95-104 mm Hg), non-diabetic, normolipidemic male outpatients and 16 normotensive male controls were recruited to participate in the study. Both hypertensive and control subjects were randomly assigned to receive either EPA and DHA ethyl esters (2.04 g EPA and 1.4 g DHA) as active treatment or olive oil (4 g/day) as a placebo for a period of 4 months. These subjects were followed up with 24-hour ambulatory BP monitoring and blood chemistry analyses at 2 and 4 months of treatment and 2 months after its discontinuation. The intake of n-3 PUFA was checked by red blood cell (RBC) phosphatidylcholine (PC) fatty acid composition. The effect of n-3 PUFA on BP in the active group was maximum after 2 months. Both systolic (-6 mm Hg, p<0.05) and diastolic (-5 mm Hg, p<0.05) BP significantly decreased during the n-3 PUFA ethyl ester supplementation. No further effect was observed at 4 months with a return to baseline values during the recovery period. These data indicate that 4 g/day of highly purified EPA + DHA ethyl esters are able to favorably affect BP in mild hypertensives.

link: http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/9733153

Young GS; Conquer JA; Thomas R

Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 5B6, Canada.

Dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids has been positively correlated with cardiovascular and neuropsychiatric health in several studies. The high seafood intake by the Japanese and Greenland Inuit has resulted in low ratios of the omega-6 fatty acid arachidonic acid (AA, 20:4n-6) to eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, 20:5n-3), with the Japanese showing AA:EPA ratios of approximately 1.7 and the Greenland Eskimos showing ratios of approximately 0.14. It was the objective of this study to determine the effect of supplementation with high doses (60 g) of flax and fish oils on the blood phospholipid (PL) fatty acid status, and AA/EPA ratio of individuals with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), commonly associated with decreased blood omega-3 fatty acid levels. Thirty adults with ADHD were randomized to 12 weeks of supplementation with olive oil (< 1% omega-3 fatty acids), flax oil (source of alpha-linolenic acid; 18:3n-3; alpha-LNA) or fish oil (source of EPA and docosahexaenoic acid; 22:6n-3; DHA). Serum PL fatty acid levels were determined at baseline and at 12 weeks. Flax oil supplementation resulted in an increase in alpha-LNA and a slight decrease in the ratio of AA/EPA, while fish oil supplementation resulted in increases in EPA, DHA and total omega-3 fatty acids and a decrease in the AA/EPA ratio to values seen in the Japanese population. These data suggest that in order to increase levels of EPA and DHA in adults with ADHD, and decrease the AA/EPA ratio to levels seen in high fish consuming populations, high dose fish oil may be preferable to high dose flax oil. Future study is warranted to determine whether correction of low levels of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids is of therapeutic benefit in this population.

link: http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/16188207

Unfortunately, none these have a thing to do w/acne, but they do show some very high doses being safely taken.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:23 am

so flax oil is bad??

no omega 6 and 9 arent bad,but when they are out of balance they are plenty bad, you just need them in the right quantitys.

here is chart illustrating how these fats compete with each other for the same enzymes to acheive balance, and which fats lead to either pro or anti-inflammatory eicosanoids.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:25 am

I got a question about that. On Friday I purchased Omega 3 Fish oil supplements from GNC (1000 mgs) It says on the bottle to take it once to twice a day. If I took it three times a day is that considered an overdose? Sorry if thats a stupid question but I need to know the answer

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:36 am

Something else I found

wow i had no idea you were taking that much!!!!!

im taking 9 a day and things are going good.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:38 am

Something else I found

its probably really good for you, and i wouldnt be that worried because youve been overdosing on the bad stuff since the day you were born, you got nothing to lose!!!

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:40 am

I just asked a question

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:44 am

I got a question about that. On Friday I purchased Omega 3 Fish oil supplements from GNC (1000 mgs) It says on the bottle to take it once to twice a day. If I took it three times a day is that considered an overdose? Sorry if thats a stupid question but I need to know the answer

If one pill = 1 gram, then you should be fine taking 3. I want to look into how much is the max I can take too

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:51 am

Health Risks if overdosed:

* Increased bleeding can occur if overused (normally over 3 grams per day)

* The possibility of hemorrhagic stroke

* Oxidation of omega-3 fatty acids forming biologically active oxidation products

* Increased levels of low density lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol or apoproteins associated with LDL cholesterol among diabetics and hyperlipidemics

* Reduced glycemic control among diabetics

* Suppression of immune and inflammation responses, and consequently, to decreased resistance to infections and increased susceptibility to opportunistic bacteria

I'm sticking to 3 grams

MemberMember
(@bber)

Posted : 02/25/2007 12:53 am

Something else I found

wow i had no idea you were taking that much!!!!!

im taking 9 a day and things are going good.

Good to hear things are going good for you too =]

Yeah, im taking a a lot but it doesnt feel like much because i take 4 with every meal.