Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marino

My facial redness medications

Howdy ya'll

I had no idea we had a facial redness section :D

Anyway, I'm a 19 year old white male, who has suffered from random facial flushing since puberty.

I found that my triggers were not classic signs such as spicy food or alcohol.

They seemed rather random, similar to a menapausle woman :lol:

I first tryed IPL treatments, and all though they helped my overall skin tone, I dont believe they did much for preventing flushes. I then saw a doctor and was prescribed Clonidine. However after some side affects I switched to to a beta blocker, Propranolol.

I noticed with the beta blocker that I had a big reduction in facial flushing associated with embarassing moments and social interactions. As well as limiting other unrelated symptoms such as sweaty palms, nerves and so forth.

However i was still getting too many facial flushes for my liking, and switched to a lower dose of clonidine. Most of my flushes were gone as i upped my dosage, for the exception of extreme heat/embarassment induced flushes, but the seveirty of these episodes was not a burning sensation, something much more mild which i can tolerate well. I re-introduced the beta blocker and noticed that combined with the clonidine it was a great way to control facial flushing, both random and socially induced.

Its been over a year since ive been cycling these medications, and im happy with the results.

I would get up 30 random flushes a day, many with strong burning sensations, and now I get 1 or 2 a day, which are intesive workout/heat induced, which imo is normal for most people.

I no longer see bright red cheeks staring at me in the miror, nor do i look or feel burnt out or uncomfortable. I find it easier to concentrate under stress and have much more confidence in social situations.

If you have any questions about these two medications, feel free to ask :)

hey thanks for your info on beta blockers.. I never knew that could help the redness.

If you could.. could you post a picture of your rosacea (pre-treatment) for comparison purposes.. I wouldn't ask you to show your whole face but maybe just the cheeks?

Hey Marino, thanks for all the information...i was wondering how many mgs a day you take of Propanolol and of Clonidine? and do you take the pills together? and do you think the amount of mgs of the drug need to be adjusted to your weight?

thanks

hey thanks for your info on beta blockers.. I never knew that could help the redness.

If you could.. could you post a picture of your rosacea (pre-treatment) for comparison purposes.. I wouldn't ask you to show your whole face but maybe just the cheeks?

Damn, I'v been searching for a solution to my redness for years I just asumed that there wasnt much that could be done. I have to give this a try.

What is IPL treatment?

What are these medications used for normally, arn't they for people with heart problems?

I'd feel quite nervous about using anything thats going to affect my heart...

Edit: A quick search on google tells me that clonidine is a sedative, I'd rather not be messing about with sedatives, I don't want to feel drowsy :(

Damn, I'v been searching for a solution to my redness for years I just asumed that there wasnt much that could be done. I have to give this a try.

Thanks for that mate, it seems like my facial redness is much the same as what you were suffering, I go red at random times throughout the day and also when I'm even slightly embarassed or if I'm too hot or cold and although I'm very fit I go red whenever I do something mildly pysical which can be a pain at the gym- it looks like I'm struggling when I am infact quite comfortable!

I use a sunbed during summer to cover it up but I'd rather not do that for obvious reasons.

If I'm going to try these medications I'll probably have to self-prescribe since my doctor is such an anal pr!k, do you think that would be safe?

I take it that its o,k to exercise and operate machinery/drive while taking them?

Again, thanks.....:)

I don't think it's safe to self prescribe any medications, but before you take clonidine you need to make sure you don't have low blood pressure at least.

I don't think it's safe to self prescribe any medications, but before you take clonidine you need to make sure you don't have low blood pressure at least.

Thanks for that mate, it seems like my facial redness is much the same as what you were suffering, I go red at random times throughout the day and also when I'm even slightly embarassed or if I'm too hot or cold and although I'm very fit I go red whenever I do something mildly pysical which can be a pain at the gym- it looks like I'm struggling when I am infact quite comfortable!

I use a sunbed during summer to cover it up but I'd rather not do that for obvious reasons.

If I'm going to try these medications I'll probably have to self-prescribe since my doctor is such an anal pr!k, do you think that would be safe?

I take it that its o,k to exercise and operate machinery/drive while taking them?

Again, thanks.....:)

hey,

thanks for the info but i have to ask, weren't you scared at first to try heart medication when you're so young? i was reccommeded the same thing, well, atenolol, to be exact, and i was kinda freaked out because i don't want to be on heart meds.

Thanks, I'll see the doc next week.

Clonidine is a centrally-acting alpha-2 agonist. It selectively stimulates receptors in the brain that monitor catecholamine levels in the blood. These receptors close a negative feedback loop that begins with descending sympathetic nerves from the brain that control the production of catecholamines (epinephrine, also known as adrenaline, and norepinephrine) in the adrenal medulla. By fooling the brain into believing that catecholamine levels are higher than they really are, clonidine causes the brain to reduce its signals to the adrenal medulla, which in turn lowers catecholamine production and blood levels. The result is a lowered heart rate and blood pressure, with side effects of dry mouth and fatigue. If clonidine is suddenly withdrawn the sympathetic nervous system will revert to producing high levels of epinephrine and norepinephrine, higher even than before treatment, causing rebound hypertension. Rebound hypertension can be avoided by slowly withdrawing treatment.

i dont like the thought of

taking blood medicine at

such a young age!

should look for natrual alternatives first

Hey Marino, I just got back from the derm who is going to subscribe me clonidine.. He seemed really knowledgeable and described everything really well. Do you still suffer with sexual dysfunction?? Can anyone else give me any anwsers on that?

mod