Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Taff

Accutane depression - normal?!?!??? HELP!!!

Hey, please read and help!!

So I finally got prescribed accutane - great, been waiting years and had to see my little brother go through it before me!!

Been on it 1 week now, 40mg per day then it will go up to 60/80 in the second month, but I think I'm struggling!! I have mild to mod acne I'd say but it is scarring now - I'm 19.

Physically, my skin is clearing after initially going nuts, with cysts rising up and all sorts going on with it going dry then oily etc. My body feels OK although I play rugby 3 times a week (i.e. american football for men - Joking!!) and football on a sunday, but everything is aching more and my shoulders (have been dislocated and had to receive ongoing physio) and my knees (ligament damage from years ago) are killing me. I've been playing with a partially broken foot (it broke and I gave it 9 days to heal) and now thats killing me too. This hasn't happened before and I just feel shot to bits, normally I can hit the end of a season before having to rest etc but I've now had to miss my first game through being a wreck!!

My lips are shredded too, I've only been on it a week and it looks like old macdonald had a quick whip over them in his combine like!!

Anyway, I could handle all this I reckon by managing it with hot and cold compresses and freeze spray and painkillers - however...

Mentally I feel worse, I'm a really happy upbeat guy, funny, energetic, always laughing or smiling and love my family to bits, but in this last week I've started to feel down and I don't know why (well I suspect it's the accutane to be honest)

I feel really insecure all of a sudden, and almost trapped in my world, worrying about everything. I can't sleep and I know I'm being off with people but can't help it - I feel detached from them like!! I've just set up my own business and that is launching on March 1st so that could be some of the reason (I'm working until 1.30isam on the nights I don't train) but all in all I feel shit like!!

So, what do I do? Do I tell my parents and risk being taken off the drug? I love the fact I'm going to have clear skin, that and a gap in my teeth are all that separate me from being the best I can be, so do I just ignore it all and stick it out? Only I've heard the horror stories and I don't want to throw myself off a bridge for no reason other than the accutane having a go!! Am I being to overdramatic here because it feels like that!! (see about the insecure thing now!!) If anybody has experienced this or has any advice then please I would love to hear it because this just isn't me!!

Thanks for listening

The Taff

2 things -

You seem to have alot of different things going on. Setting up business, sport & injuries, watever else came up. I think you have too much going on around you that ur allowing to alter ur state of mind.

2nd. I think ur being a bit dramatic and also hypochondriac. Sry dude, I'm not being harsh, no-one here posts hateful comments. It seems like ur aware of the what I like to call mythical untrue side-effects alot of ppl try to harp on about that come with accutane. Think of it like minocycline or doxycycline or something, you'd have no trouble taking those. Accutane's no different except that its definitely going to clear ur acne brotha (mayb not permanently, didn't for me, thats a whole different topic though)

Hey, please read and help!!

So I finally got prescribed accutane - great, been waiting years and had to see my little brother go through it before me!!

Been on it 1 week now, 40mg per day then it will go up to 60/80 in the second month, but I think I'm struggling!! I have mild to mod acne I'd say but it is scarring now - I'm 19.

Physically, my skin is clearing after initially going nuts, with cysts rising up and all sorts going on with it going dry then oily etc. My body feels OK although I play rugby 3 times a week (i.e. american football for men - Joking!!) and football on a sunday, but everything is aching more and my shoulders (have been dislocated and had to receive ongoing physio) and my knees (ligament damage from years ago) are killing me. I've been playing with a partially broken foot (it broke and I gave it 9 days to heal) and now thats killing me too. This hasn't happened before and I just feel shot to bits, normally I can hit the end of a season before having to rest etc but I've now had to miss my first game through being a wreck!!

My lips are shredded too, I've only been on it a week and it looks like old macdonald had a quick whip over them in his combine like!!

Anyway, I could handle all this I reckon by managing it with hot and cold compresses and freeze spray and painkillers - however...

Mentally I feel worse, I'm a really happy upbeat guy, funny, energetic, always laughing or smiling and love my family to bits, but in this last week I've started to feel down and I don't know why (well I suspect it's the accutane to be honest)

I feel really insecure all of a sudden, and almost trapped in my world, worrying about everything. I can't sleep and I know I'm being off with people but can't help it - I feel detached from them like!! I've just set up my own business and that is launching on March 1st so that could be some of the reason (I'm working until 1.30isam on the nights I don't train) but all in all I feel shit like!!

So, what do I do? Do I tell my parents and risk being taken off the drug? I love the fact I'm going to have clear skin, that and a gap in my teeth are all that separate me from being the best I can be, so do I just ignore it all and stick it out? Only I've heard the horror stories and I don't want to throw myself off a bridge for no reason other than the accutane having a go!! Am I being to overdramatic here because it feels like that!! (see about the insecure thing now!!) If anybody has experienced this or has any advice then please I would love to hear it because this just isn't me!!

Thanks for listening

The Taff

2 things -

You seem to have alot of different things going on. Setting up business, sport & injuries, watever else came up. I think you have too much going on around you that ur allowing to alter ur state of mind.

2nd. I think ur being a bit dramatic and also hypochondriac. Sry dude, I'm not being harsh, no-one here posts hateful comments. It seems like ur aware of the what I like to call mythical untrue side-effects alot of ppl try to harp on about that come with accutane. Think of it like minocycline or doxycycline or something, you'd have no trouble taking those. Accutane's no different except that its definitely going to clear ur acne brotha (mayb not permanently, didn't for me, thats a whole different topic though)

hiya mate, chaz here :) i'm 3 months in to accutane and i can totally get wot ur saying. it came on so suddenly. i dont have feeling for wanything. i dont want to eat, sleep, drink, i even was physically sick bcoz i kept thnking i dont have feelings for my perfect boyfirend. i have had a total loss of appetite and anxiousness in my body. at the moment i have 5 essays, a report and a presentation to do at uni. i live at home nd also get aggitated with family. i cried for 3 days. i hope your ok. hope to hear from you soon. someone posted on my post and i thought it put it don to a 'T'- 'no passion for anythin' xxx

Bro, know exactly how you're feeling man. On my second course of Roaccutane. First time round I had quite a hectic initial breakout and for some reason wasn't too bothered by it, still socialized a lot and really didn't think about it too much. Went off and was clear for a while and then started breaking out again. To cut a long story short nothing was working so went back on a low dose of tane. Been 5 weeks now, skin's looking like shit and i'm feeling even worse. Don't want to see anyone or do anything - would quite like to sleep for the next couple of months till this shit is gone...

Got to just look at it as a means to an end and try and be positive. There's a saying that relates to feeling good that says, "fake it, then feel it". Basically bullshit yourself that you're feeling great and you'll start to feel better. Thought it was crap myself but it does seem to help (Until Friday night arrives and you're pissed off that your buddies are all partying and you're home doing nothing because your vanity dictates that you don't want to be seen).

That's my rant over. Hope it helps knowing there others in the same boat...

Bro, know exactly how you're feeling man. On my second course of Roaccutane. First time round I had quite a hectic initial breakout and for some reason wasn't too bothered by it, still socialized a lot and really didn't think about it too much. Went off and was clear for a while and then started breaking out again. To cut a long story short nothing was working so went back on a low dose of tane. Been 5 weeks now, skin's looking like shit and i'm feeling even worse. Don't want to see anyone or do anything - would quite like to sleep for the next couple of months till this shit is gone...

Got to just look at it as a means to an end and try and be positive. There's a saying that relates to feeling good that says, "fake it, then feel it". Basically bullshit yourself that you're feeling great and you'll start to feel better. Thought it was crap myself but it does seem to help (Until Friday night arrives and you're pissed off that your buddies are all partying and you're home doing nothing because your vanity dictates that you don't want to be seen).

That's my rant over. Hope it helps knowing there others in the same boat...

first of all, if you feel depressed, regardless of being on accutane or not, go get some help! no shame in it, and it may help you sort things out. Sounds like youve got a lot going on and im sure it would help.

And for the people calling him a hypochondriac and deciding that some of the side effects are myths, how many of you have a PhD? NONE! This forum is not for receiving medical advice or DISPENSING medical advice. You have no idea, i don't care how many "journals" you pulled up on google. You can share your experiences, but without seeing someone medical history and being a doctor, it is NEVER your place to say whether or not someone is experiencing symptoms from accutane.

Back to taff, good luck with everything man. Try to keep your head up and seriously consider talking to a therapist, couldn't hurt! :)

first of all, if you feel depressed, regardless of being on accutane or not, go get some help! no shame in it, and it may help you sort things out. Sounds like youve got a lot going on and im sure it would help.

And for the people calling him a hypochondriac and deciding that some of the side effects are myths, how many of you have a PhD? NONE! This forum is not for receiving medical advice or DISPENSING medical advice. You have no idea, i don't care how many "journals" you pulled up on google. You can share your experiences, but without seeing someone medical history and being a doctor, it is NEVER your place to say whether or not someone is experiencing symptoms from accutane.

Back to taff, good luck with everything man. Try to keep your head up and seriously consider talking to a therapist, couldn't hurt! :)

yes, it is a superb drug. I agree. Take accutane out of the equation, science still hasn't even found a definitive reason for depression itself. They don't even really know why prozac works, they just know it does. Look up any "journal" from google on anti-depresents. Well hmm.. if the things that help depression cannot be explained, maybe the things that agitate depression cannot be explained? From what I've noticed, it seems that people with a family history or pre-exisiting depression are significantly more susceptible to symptoms. But again, I have zero experience in this field and have not looked into it too deep. What I am saying, is do not make assumptions because you have no idea what you are talking about (and i don't either, all of this is speculation), and there may be a truly very mentally sick individual who does not get help because of some ass clown in a forum who decided they know more than a dermatologist.

yes, it is a superb drug. I agree. Take accutane out of the equation, science still hasn't even found a definitive reason for depression itself. They don't even really know why prozac works, they just know it does. Look up any "journal" from google on anti-depresents. Well hmm.. if the things that help depression cannot be explained, maybe the things that agitate depression cannot be explained? From what I've noticed, it seems that people with a family history or pre-exisiting depression are significantly more susceptible to symptoms. But again, I have zero experience in this field and have not looked into it too deep. What I am saying, is do not make assumptions because you have no idea what you are talking about (and i don't either, all of this is speculation), and there may be a truly very mentally sick individual who does not get help because of some ass clown in a forum who decided they know more than a dermatologist.

Yes, do stick it out. I'd talk to ur bro aswell if ur ever concerned coz what he said about don't read the box or you'll have all the side effects after the first pill was pretty clever.

Yes, do stick it out. I'd talk to ur bro aswell if ur ever concerned coz what he said about don't read the box or you'll have all the side effects after the first pill was pretty clever.

Take it easy on your joints. With tough aggressive contact sports the way you play, a lot of people start seeing wear and tear on their bodies at an early age. Throw accutane into the picture and you're doing even quicker damage. See if you can pick something not quite as tough on your joints for the next few months else you might do permanent damage.

As for depression, I guess your buddies have made an excellent case for why it's a load of bullshit. I personally am surprised that a dermatologist would ignore those claims altogether. Just like in your case, I wonder how many patients truly report back to him about their depression because they are scared of being taken off the drug. My theory, right now, though, is that at least part of it is just your body saying it's overloaded, yes because of what the drug takes out of you on a daily basis, and just don't feel like handling any more. You exercise and play games you used to love and your body hurts like hell. Working or standing for too long starts to hurt after a while. You just want to sleep when you get home, but you're still needing to meet demands of a social life. Something's gotta give, and your brain is saying, "FUCK NO. Stop this already, I just wanna sleep." But anyway, there's my theory. Take it easier on your body and see if that helps. Can't believe I'm recommending being a couch potato...lol.

Hey man, I took accutane too. You are just starting off, its a strong, powerful drug inside you right now, its different, a little depression is normal. I felt it too when I took it at times. But then I just rememebered, Im on accutane and its going to make me completely clear in a few months and the acne nightmare is over. I just had that thought in my head. And the depression may come and go, but just stay focused. Remember its not you, its the drug. And you are one day closer everyday from being done and off it and totally clear and have a great life. My advice, dont say anything to your parents. They may over react. They will most certainly try and get you off it. Just try and work through it right now, and if it gets really, really bad then maybe you do need to come off it, but let that be your decision. You dont have much longer to go til clear skin just stick with it man

Jane and Toaster, thanks for your advice.

I'm not going to stop the high impact sports becuase they are what I live for, and in a few more months the season will be over so I will struggle through until then. Took a pasting saturday, breaking my thumb, getting two holes in my leg and splitting my lip and chin, and as a result have decided that I WILL drop my weight training on my nights off from rugby training, guess I will just have to stay at the size I am for now. Other than sports I don't put my body under stress (apart from at work but thats mental stress) I don't drink really, I eat healthily and I sleep enough. So thankyou for your advice, I am dropping the 7 night per week training regime!!

I feel a lot better this week than I did last week, I don't know, maybe it was my man period or something, who knows. Just to let you know I'm not suicidal or anything, just felt a little down last week. Maybe it was the accutane kicking in or something, because my skin is loads better and my lips are really dry. But thanks for the advice, everyday when I wake up it's nice to see those pimples on my face aren't there and more importantly, the ones all along the tops of my shoulders are gone (you wouldn't believe the pain of putting in a big tackle on a 18stone forward running at you and feeling the 5 or 6 boil type spots on your shoulder all simultaneously bursting!!) as they were starting to get infected.

Cheers to everyone for their great advice, much appreciated, if you got more keep it coming!!

The Taff

i would suggest stopping accutane for two weeks and try fish oil and balancing your omega 6-3 to a 1:1 ratio for two weeks.

then based on the results you get, make the decision to return to accutane.

fish oil is corelated with STRONGER healthier joints, not joint degradation.

fish oil is correlated with better brain function and better mood regulation

the studys ive read indicate fish oil eicosanoids to bind with ppars which bind to the rxr receptor to induce apoptosis and stop sebum production as well as change sebum composition making it more viscous and less coagulant making the comedo a thing of the past, which is the single most important event in acne formation. if our sebum doesnt make comedo plugs we would never get acne regardless of how much sebum we produce. but it even stops sebum production.

its probably not what you want to hear, and you have your heart set on accutane, but after only seven days of achieving a 1:1 ratio my acne is completly under control and healing, whether or not its goona be the cure for me is still up in the air but if never been so enthusiastic about any acne treatment, and i can back it all up by science and explain to you exactly how it works.

as opposed to accutane with all the serious risks you take with your health, this has no risk whatsoever.

and its real cheap.

this has alot to do with all disease in industrialized societys acne, cancer, alopecia, diabetes all have some connection to omega 3s and omega 6s. and how far weve strayed from our original staple of fish and veggies. think eskimo diet all they ate was fatty fish.

sheryl crow even beat cancer from consuming salmon and veggies everyday which wouldve altered her omega 6 to 3 ratio dramatically, which in turn beat out the cancer.

Im not even trying to say im right or even that i know it all, all i know is the science is there for it, it makes sense to me, i know how it works its working for other people on this board and it may work for you too and i want to help people.

i encourage you to be open to the possibilty that this could work, for more info check out the fish oil threads in the diet holistic section.

good luck.

the pharm industry is only interested in manipulating natural and biological processes so that they can sell you something you may not actually need,

they do because it pays and they can get away with it.

i know its not what you want to hear, but i only hope you have a passion for learning because ignorance will keep you from the information that you may so desparalty need dont let your own ignorance block information to your brain.

remember that accutane isnt a cure, many times it comes back, and many times it doesnt.

still isnt a cure.

Autonomous thanks for the advice...

...are you saying I should completely come off accutane? And if so do I combine the fish oils with other things, i.e. facewashes topicals etc?

The thing is I've waited so long to get it, and now I'm on it I really just can't wait to see the results that I'm pretty unsure about switching off my meds to a supplement. As in if it didn't work, I would have to go back to the derm and explain that I had decided after a few weeks that I would try something else, she may not prescribe it to me again!!

I am going to stick with accutane I think, I'm only on 40mg per day at the moment so I'll see how it goes...

...however can I add the fish oils into my diet anyway, will it have an adverse effect?

I am definitely going to do this after my course though, to try and prevent it coming back.

Cheers autonomous

The Taff

I'm taking fish oil while on accutane because I heard it helps with the absorption of the drug.

Good job reducing your high impact sports. Hopefully, the part you cannot give up won't be your undoing. Just remember: this is about taking it easy for a few months, vs. doing a lifetime of permanent damage you won't just be able to cold compress your way out of. You really have a choice to make here.

I am new to this place, but I have been through 2, 6 month HEAVY dose cycles....and I also have some experience with the depression....

Just some background: I had acne since I was very very young and when I was around 16 it began to get really bad...I went through the usual dermo stuff (trying everything in site) and nothing worked...so they put me on accutane

Now, before people begin to yell that I used the depression claim as a scapegoat...this was over 5 years ago when the drug was first being used...my dermatologist never said a word to me about the depression side effects, and I knew nothing of it myself...

Anyway...I had HORRIBLE depression and mood swings. My friends actually would say that when I had my "fits" (as I called them) I would become an entirely different person. I can best describe a "fit" to you as I would be come angry and "enraged" and when I say angry I don't think i can stress it enough. I would follow the person I was upset with around and verbally bagger them (mostly my mother) until I had her absolutely in tears (I love my mother very much and I would normally never do such a thing, and I never did before or have since) and then I would begin to cry....and cry and cry and cry some more. Now I also did feel a bit different and off (as you described) and I would say it was moderate depression. I found the mood swings and severe moods to be the problem for me and the others around me. It never went away...not until after I was off the stuff.

Now that was the first time around. I obviously had to go back on soon thereafter (I believe senior year in high school). The same thing happened. I believe that if the stuff does that to you it does that to you and there is noting you can really do about it, that is life. My advice to you is to use your knowledge to your advantage. Coming into the second time I knew what I was getting into and I found that it was much easier. Less depression (if any) and I tried to keep myself from getting into confrontations. But the "rage" ( I believe you talked about wanting to hurt people more when playing rugby, and that is what I would call the "rage") was still there.

I would say that you are very much in the same situation I was in, and it sucks. My advice is not to get off it unless absolutely necessary (suicidal thoughts), because the final result will be much more manageable acne, if any at all. I would say you are one step ahead of where I was because you are on your first time with the stuff and you already know that it is the accutane doing it (and I don't care what studies say, I have my own study...2 years of my life). Focus on the happy things and make sure those around you know what is going on (they will understand and help).

My main advice:

-tell your loved ones (they will give you a break if you freak out and also try to make life easier)

-find something that makes you happy and really focus on it (takes your mind off the depression)

-have an activity that allows you expel some of the "rage" (rugby sound perfect, kill the guy across from you it is part of the game, just don't get into fist fights during the game, no one likes that person, BTW I also play rugby)

-if you think about hurting yourself, tell someone and stop immediately (acne isin't worth dying for)

-DO NOT DRINK (it's all good until you get upset, that can get really messy, a very drunk accutane "rage" is something to be seen)

-finally, keep things in perspective, it is a stupid little pill and those thoughts and feelings in your head come from there, not from your life, and things will get better, especially when you are done with the accutane

I know how you feel and it still pains and pisses me off to think about it (but I wouldn't take it back, the end result is good); so if you need to know anything or have a question about something let me know, because I have been through all the bad it can push at you...and I am still here