Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spillett

so Accutane just hasn't worked for me

My acne was moderate but persistant. I had tried antibiotics and been on them for years. Nothing was working. I even completely changed my food lifestyle to be extra healthy with mixed results.

Finally agreed to go on Accutane 01st Nov 2006. I am on a 4 month course and practically from day one I was breaking out and today I have woken with 3 new spots and 2 more coming up...

Why hasn't is worked and why do some people can an IB for like a week and then have their skin clear after that?

I am SO angry and the last thing I want to do is go back on Accutane.............................

Sorry for the rant. I keep hoping my skin might clear once I actually finish the medication but I think I'm just fooling myself if I believe that. I have had acne since 16 and I'm 24 in a few weeks and really thought I'd be shot of it when I started Accutane. Right now I want to peel my stupid ass skin off cause it's ridiculous.

Well, 4 months is the low length course, you could ask for two more months since you are breaking out and still be at a standard length course. As for the "why me?", well everyone is different and every course is different. The first time i took it i didn't clear until 2 months after the course was over, and got a 10 year remission from it. So just because you are still breaking out doesn't necessarily mean that it's not working.

I agree. My first time I was only on it for four months. With in a year the acne was back. I then went on a 6 month. I said clear for almost 2 years. Then it came back but my skin was not as oily. Now 7 years later my skin is in the worst condition ever. I'm gonna give it another go cause I'm desperate.

Well, 4 months is the low length course, you could ask for two more months since you are breaking out and still be at a standard length course. As for the "why me?", well everyone is different and every course is different. The first time i took it i didn't clear until 2 months after the course was over, and got a 10 year remission from it. So just because you are still breaking out doesn't necessarily mean that it's not working.

thanks for that. i think my only option is to finish the medication and wait and see.

if my skin gets worse i will consider going back on accutane.

I'm on my second round of Accutane (took it in 2002)

I never had clear skin on Accutane and I had some really bad breakouts while on it. I read all of the information on Accutane and they say "you may break out a few weeks into the treatment but after that your skin should be clearer" Yeeeah, that was bull shit. I had pimples well into 5 months (took it for 6) BUT... after the treatments my skin cleared slowly and the splotchiness went away, and I had some baby soft skin about 4 months later.

It takes time. It's a pain in the ass. You could try Clearasil :wall:

oh and i just looked through your album and I could NOT find a single pimple in any of your pictures... so either those are pre-acne pics, or your exaggerating your acne.

Just go for another 2months id suggest. I finished a 6 month course and I'm not clear and need another 3 months.

I am well into my 5th month and still breaking out. Everyone is different, and my derm tells me that with my skin, I probably won't see my results until I am finished my course. Stay positive!

oh and i just looked through your album and I could NOT find a single pimple in any of your pictures... so either those are pre-acne pics, or your exaggerating your acne.

Body dismoprhic disorder maybe ?

most of my pics are photoshopped to remove my spots. they just egged me on to take Accutane cos that's what I want my skin to look like!!

i have read through my Accutane info and it does state that the medication can continue working for up to 2 months after you finish your course. my derm only wanted to presrcibe me a 4 month course and I was given the full 4 months of tablets then and there.

i am still brekaing out but it is managable and i finish Accutane next week.

i will see how my skin gets on for the next month or so and if need be, revisit my derm.

Just go for another 2months id suggest. I finished a 6 month course and I'm not clear and need another 3 months.

well it would probably take another 3 months to get an appointment with a derm so i may as well finish my 4 month course next week and see what happens