Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bbbrittney

Brittney's DKR log.

A little personal info:

I'm Brittney, I'm turning 19 in 2 weeks, and I've had acne for going on 10 years. Most of those 10 years, my acne was moderate. But, I was only completely clear for a 3 month span when I was 16... during which I used proactiv and something miraculous happened. I was clear for 3 months like I said, and then one day.. all my acne started coming back. I never really understood what happened there.

My skin gets severe off & on, and I know for sure that if I ever get clear again, I will have red marks and scars like nobodies business.

As far as my drug history.. I have tried ever antibiotic on the market for acne, as well as a half a treatment of Accutane. I had to stop accutane halfway through the treatment because my insurance stopped covering it. I would have probably had to stop it anyway because my triglycerides were too high.

My skin is incredibly oily & oil sheets are my best friend.

It is now Day 4 of the regimen.

No noticeable difference yet. My skin isn't even dry, at all. I've been using about 1/3 finger's worth of DKR BP. I will ramp up the dosage a teeny tiny bit every other day, from now on. Unless, I start getting too dry, in which case I will back off.

Okay-- we'll see how things go.

Day 5

Starting to see a little dryness today-- mostly around my mouth.

I'm not going to count my zits because to me that's a real downer, but there are quite a few active pimples on my cheeks.

I was thinking about something, my neutrogena oil free moisture is for combination skin and it says this stuff about having microsponge to help absorb oil. Does anyone think that this could be hindering it's moisturization ability???

Day 7

Starting to get a bit more dry.. still mostly around the mouth.

Between yesterday and today my skin has gotten considerably worse. I was thinking it could be because my period is soon, but should spiro take care of that??

Day 7

Starting to get a bit more dry.. still mostly around the mouth.

Between yesterday and today my skin has gotten considerably worse. I was thinking it could be because my period is soon, but should spiro take care of that??

Keep it up! My DKR products should be here any day now and I will most likely start using them. I am so afraid to go off of Retin-A, however, because I do not want to get out of control and not be able to get a handle on my acne. Keep us updated on how you are doing! Good luck!

as i see in your signature you have a lot going on maybe thats why the dryness and if your just applying bp to ur face never ever ever ever ever go past 1 full finger some nasty things will occur (aka redness, irritation, dryness! how do i know? i experimented) im not a big fan of neutrogena's oil free moisturizer you might want to switch up moisturizer and try cetaphil (the best moisturizer! in my opinion) dont stress about new spots coming out because it was usually triggered a week or two ago just remeber to be GENTLE - wash your face GENTLY apply the recommended amount of bp GENTLY , use adequate moisturizer and apply GENTLY keep us up to date and just post here if you need words of encouragement or help we are all here to help!

Day 5

Starting to see a little dryness today-- mostly around my mouth.

I'm not going to count my zits because to me that's a real downer, but there are quite a few active pimples on my cheeks.

I was thinking about something, my neutrogena oil free moisture is for combination skin and it says this stuff about having microsponge to help absorb oil. Does anyone think that this could be hindering it's moisturization ability???

I noticed you said you were using oil blotting sheets. Are you using the Clean & Clear ones, by any chance? If you are, I highly recommend you stop immediately and switch to just using pressed powder to blot shine... I've used those for a few years and finally realized that THOSE SHEETS were actually causing me to break out even more. I read on the back, and sure enough, one of the ingredients is Mineral oil (the worst acne-prone oil there is... the reason makeup today now says "oil-free". back in the day mineral oil was the main ingredient to drug store cosmetics). I stopped using them and breakouts decreased. I bought a pack a few months ago, thinking it might have been my imagination... but lo and behold, after the first week of using the sheets, I started getting breakouts in the exact spots i used them!

If you aren't using the clean and clear oil blotting sheets then.... um... good job haha :)

kt

Day 5

I also used the neutrogena combination skin and it was just AWFUL - it actually made my face feel tighter, and it was so dry.

I noticed you said you were using oil blotting sheets. Are you using the Clean & Clear ones, by any chance? If you are, I highly recommend you stop immediately and switch to just using pressed powder to blot shine... I've used those for a few years and finally realized that THOSE SHEETS were actually causing me to break out even more. I read on the back, and sure enough, one of the ingredients is Mineral oil (the worst acne-prone oil there is... the reason makeup today now says "oil-free". back in the day mineral oil was the main ingredient to drug store cosmetics). I stopped using them and breakouts decreased. I bought a pack a few months ago, thinking it might have been my imagination... but lo and behold, after the first week of using the sheets, I started getting breakouts in the exact spots i used them!

If you aren't using the clean and clear oil blotting sheets then.... um... good job haha :)

kt

Day whatever.

Skin is SLIGHTLY better.

I got a better moisturizer because I was starting to get a little dry (but not really anything monumental.)

I got the cetaphil generic (like equate or whatever from walmart). Does anyone think this will hurt? It moisturizes pretty well, but it also makes me a little greasy. :(

Hi Brittney. Hmmmm..I am not sure if mineral oil would make your face breakout. Mineral oil belongs to the Natural Oil family...I went ahead and looked it up on the website, http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist. BTW, I got the website from a fellow acne.org, thank you Vegaoncity!

Again, everyone is different. I use Clean and Clear blotting sheets and I don't find a correlation to my breakouts when using it. Heck..I even used it before I started breaking out. You may breakout if you use it too much.. Yes..I said TOO MUCH.

Reason..you are taking too much of the natural oil off on your face...and as we know...when your skin needs oil no matter bcos you've taken too much off...your sebum will produce more of the lovely stuff...in other words your sebum will go overdrive creating a environment that appeals to the bacteria that causes acne.

Went for my 3 month visit to the derm today.

He prescribed Cleocin & looked pretty unimpressed that I was using BP.

My question is-- Would it be safe for me to use the cleocin & the bp?? Or would my skin get all dry & sick? I want to do what my doctor suggests but I am afraid to stop BP as it has helped.

I also use Apple Cider Vinegar as a toner. I haven't noticed anything miraculous yet. But i'm using a pretty weak concentration because it burnt.

Britney,

I can speak from experience about Clindamycin. My derm put me on it a few months back because the BP in the Benzaclin cream was too harsh for my skin. I can tell you that I loved how the clindamycin lotion went on. It did not irritate my skin at all.

If you want, try to use the clindamycin in the morning after a light wash, and then use the BP at night before you go to bed. When you first try it, only apply the clindamycin every other day for about a week. If, afetr that time, you are free of flakes/redness/irritation, then I would say go ahead and use it every day.

Good luck!

Mineral oil is definitely a pore-clogging oil, even though it is considered a "natural" oil. Crisco and cocoa butter are also "natural oils" and we all know how bad those two offenders are for acne-prone skin.